What Raw Shock did you get?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

-ShatteredSilence-
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by -ShatteredSilence- »

Escapist wrote:You're missing one Raw Shock... I don't know how to describe it, but its skin is like raw meat.
Raw meat? D: I've never seen what those look like, are there only like 4 types of Raw Shocks or what?
~The silence has now been broken~
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

^I will try to find them on YouTube. I got them while heading to the Drunk Dad ending.

EDIT: lol, while searching for it I found this other kind:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I'm now wondering how many variations are...

EDIT2: I'm talking about the RS this guy got.
-ShatteredSilence-
Cafe5to2 Waitress

O_o both of them look really weird
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

Well, now thinking about it, it looks like there are also combinations. In the video I sent you looks like this guy's RS will turn out like that pic I uploaded, while mine became more sexualized.
-ShatteredSilence-
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Escapist wrote:Well, now thinking about it, it looks like there are also combinations. In the video I sent you looks like this guy's RS will turn out like that pic I uploaded, while mine became more sexualized.
Whoa!! That's pretty cool!! I'm really glad this game is so deep and everything!!
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

@ escapist: :shock: now those are like ... can't describe them...maybe like WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*K
i hope those chase me, cause those would scare the **** out of me
also the 2nd type posted by X-rust are really disturbing
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

Am I the only one who thinks that every version looks horrendously stupid?

There is absolutely nothing scary in this photo:

nobody is anybody
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

They are a bit silly in both picture and action, though I personally think their fright comes from them pouncing on your ass and screaming as they chase after you.

A few other things in SH looked absolutely stupid in pictures and came out a little better in video form (Double-Head Twins [SH4] comes to mind here).
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

I suppose I should probably reserve judgement until I've actually played the game. I just hope they are more effective in-game than the pictures suggest. And I don't know, I kinda liked the Double-Headed Twins. They were just so darn cute and cuddly. :wink:
nobody is anybody
biohazard1775
Just Passing Through

Post by biohazard1775 »

I got raw shocks similar to the OP's.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Am I the only one who thinks that every version looks horrendously stupid?
Not in the slightest. The Raw Shocks may legitimately be the most poorly designed monsters in the Silent Hill series. Even worse than the Gumheads in Silent Hill 4: The Room.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Again, seeing them in pictures and having a swarm of the shrieking, relentless fuckers chasing after you is entirely different.

They're just as good as the guy with a giant triangle for a head. They're all pretty ridiculous when you stop to think about them.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I'm not thinking contextually, though. The design(s) are bad (in my opinion! ♥) and I doubt even playing the game will change that.

I never much cared for Silent Hill 3's Pendulums, but from what I can tell reading about the Raw Shocks they don't do anything different: swarm and scream. So, what the monster does in the game doesn't much affect their appearance.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

It's pretty original their backstory though. More than many other monsters, may I say.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Yes, but experiencing it certainly helps to make them seem more intimidating than the stills. Motion, audio, etc. all come together to make them much more effective than low res stills.

They are certainly not perfect, I am not arguing that. I just am arguing that they're not quite as bad as you may think.
Lives in the mirror"
Marbas
Just Passing Through

Post by Marbas »

Actually, Immah have to go with MMY on this one. I do not find the Raw Shocks scary at all. I find their screams ridiculous. It's like a very depressed dinosaur chewing on a little girl, and they're all stuffed inside a giant ball of cotton. And the chase scenes were just sort of 'meh'. Once I figured them out, they became pathetically easy, and I was never really once scared throughout the entirety of Shattered Memories. I got frustrated sometimes, but I was never scared.

Everytime I had an Otherworld transition, you could hear the groan from across the house.

I actually kind of liked the pendulums though. Just because I liked how their screams sounded.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

I certainly found those to be a bit disturbing on my first playthrough runnin' straight at me a shrieking at the top of their lungs. Droo is right about them resembling Pyramid Head.

I personally wish there were more sound effects for the Raw Shocks. The few screams they do get old after awhile, especially after you die and they all just stand around you repeatedly doing that same high pitched shriek.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

^Thinking on it, that's the only complaint I have about them really, I mean the scream still gets to me occasionally, but if they randomized it and gave them some grunts or whatever it would be a lot more tense running about.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Escapist wrote:It's pretty original their backstory though. More than many other monsters, may I say.
Erm... not quite O_o I'd say the Raw Shocks are pretty on par with the rest of the ~deep~ monsters of the series, with their own individual creation/reason for being what they are.

I also wish they could've been voiced by Mike Patton. Look at the awesome noises he did for the zombies in Left 4 Dead!
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Droo

Post by Droo »

And The Darkness.

If I wasn't so damn terrified of his voice, I'd totally want to do him. Imagine the noises he could make in bed. :D
Lives in the mirror"