Not Beaten, But Amazing...

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Played the game? How did you like it?

Amazing
81%
Alright
14%
Bad
6%

Total votes: 36

Eva-Unit01
Just Passing Through

Not Beaten, But Amazing...

Post by Eva-Unit01 »

Sorry, I just thought I'd add my two cents into this...

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is an amazing game so far. I haven't beaten the game as of yet (I got it yesterday... I'm currently stuck in the school where I have to input a code to get into the Gym...), But it seriously is very amazing and ground-breaking, At least I think so, Lol.

So far the story is very well written, Though I must admit, I really don't like the whole glasses look on Harry. But the voice acting so far is really well done.

Scare-wise, Well... It can get to you at some points. To be honest, I mostly got freaked out when I was in a dark room and then the cellphone would make the static noise and the flashlight would flicker. Though I don't really get scared when Silent Hill turns to ice (Indicating that you must run for your life.), But that's only because of the fact that direction-wise... It blows.

Why? Well, Sure, The game's hint tells you to follow the path with doors that have a lighter blue hue around the surrounding door, But problem is... Mostly all the doors are like that. When I got into the woods part of the game, I seriously died around five times because of the whole "Not knowing where the heck I'm going" thing. It really confuses you, And you really don't have time to look at your GPS on your cellphone because the monsters can still come attack you while you use it unless you press "A" on the Wii Remote to allow a zoom in on the map. That's the only thing that seriously gets to me in the game so far, is that the sense of direction is completely lost when you have to run away from monsters.

The whole running away idea? I admit, it's a nice touch. It does make things a serious challenge (Especially if you don't know where the heck to go in the game to reach safety...). I like the idea of helplessness and a challenge, However... Why Harry? That only bugs me a little simply because of the very first Silent Hill game... Harry was able to attack the enemies and harm them. But it really doesn't take away from the game overall, It's a very nice touch. I guess, It amplifies reality in a way.

One new feature that I really enjoy is the idea that you get messages randomly or when you reach to a certain area that will give you a message on your cellphone. It's very unique, where you have to think psychologically sometimes (Or at least, For me anyway. Not all messages are pretty crazy and/or psychological, But still fun to listen to all the same.).

And the whole Therapist touch? I really like it. So far, It seems to want to get deeper into who you are as an individual, psychologically.

Even though the Wii isn't graphically amazing like the PS3 or 360, It still portrays emotion in each character in a unique way, Or at least, That's how I see it. It's still very good on the graphics department.

Character-wise, so far I've only seen the therapist and Cybil. They are both pretty cool. The only reason I don't put in Cheryl as of yet, Is because I seriously haven't seen her as of yet in person in the game.

Overall though? The game is pure epic pwnage. =D

Hopefully you guys will enjoy the game as well.
"I'm an Insect who dreamt he was a Man and Loved it. But now the Dream is Over... And the Insect is Awake."
- Seth Brundle/Brundlefly (The Fly 1986)
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

I agree, on all points. Epic win indeed! Stick with the story, you will be BLOWN AWAY.

I got really frustrated with the chases too, especially the one in the woods (I died literally 23 times before I got through it.) The good news is, as far as I'm concerned that's the toughest one, though I still had problems with the rest.

The game is also gorgeous! I spent a lot of time just looking around when I could.
Eva-Unit01
Just Passing Through

Post by Eva-Unit01 »

Glad to see the story will be amazing. So far it is. And yeah, I've literally died five times in the second chase (The woods) simply because of the fact that the sense of direction was not there.

Yeah, I go through as much as I can to get everything. Even though some areas are freaky, I still try my best to go through any door I can get into. Plus, When you do this, You get Mementos and Echoes. Everything in the game is graphically beautiful to it's fullest. I'm just simply amazed by the environment, Not by it's scariness but also by the fact it's just beautiful as well. I really love the snow effect to the game. Pure awesomeness. =D

I'm currently trying to get through the game, but stuck on one thing. So far no has replied to my post in the "Daddy...Help me" section. Hopefully someone will know. @.@;;

Thanks for replying, by the way. =D
"I'm an Insect who dreamt he was a Man and Loved it. But now the Dream is Over... And the Insect is Awake."
PrescitedEntity
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by PrescitedEntity »

saevitia wrote:I agree, on all points. Epic win indeed! Stick with the story, you will be BLOWN AWAY.

I got really frustrated with the chases too, especially the one in the woods (I died literally 23 times before I got through it.) The good news is, as far as I'm concerned that's the toughest one, though I still had problems with the rest.

The game is also gorgeous! I spent a lot of time just looking around when I could.
Echoing every bit of this sentiment. This was a hell of a ride, and Silent Hill has never been more hauntingly beautiful.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/PrescitedEntity/sigLinger.jpg[/img]
in zero
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by in zero »

The game was a new level of amazing, it's really slowly sinking in how this game affected me. I actually liked the chase sequences too, am I the only one? :lol: Once I got used to them, I was genuinely afraid of being caught by the monsters, not messing up the controls. Granted, the game wasn't as "scary" as the previous games, yet that somehow didn't matter to me at all. I'm not sure why.
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

I've been getting better with the chases. The first time, I ran in circles and died at least six times... frustrating, yet terrifying. Over time, I started to get a better idea of how I should act (when's a good time to check the map, when's a good time to hide, etc.) and would end up dying maybe once or twice per nightmare sequence. So, no real problem from me... I'd expect a game where I had to legitimately run for my life to be hard, anyway.

Otherwise, no argument on any of your points. The story is intriguing and I love how I'm just as confused as Harry. I'm not saying that more Silent Hill games should be like this, but more SH games should be as ballsy as this. Smart innovation for the win. :)
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Harry loses the glasses halfway or so...
RIP Silent Hills
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Just picked my copy up today. I'll be playing it tomorrow as my Wii-motes are charging. I've got to get a better charging solution, the Intec one isn't really working out, well it was fine before but maybe the batteries need to be replaced... It's one of the things I really hate about the Wii. Hopefully Sony's motion controllers have lithium ion batteries that are rechargable by USB.
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

It's certainly a great game, but I still would have preferred the last 4 games not existing at all.

My vote was alright.
Eva-Unit01
Just Passing Through

Post by Eva-Unit01 »

Read all your posts everyone.

So far the only time I'm stuck in this game is when there's puzzles that don't make sense or the chase sequences in the game.

I'm seriously glad to read that everyone seems to have a little bit of a problem getting through the chase sequences! Good to see I'm not the only one.

So far, Besides the very first chase sequence, I've run in circles. I'm currently in the third Nightmare Chase sequence... Ran in a completely circle back to the Principal's office once though I didn't die as of yet during this. Currently I'm stuck, which is mentioned in my other post in the "Daddy... Help Me!" section.

Also, Glad to hear that Harry loses his glasses. =P Thanks for answering that.

I still believe this game is amazing in it's own, unique right. It's definitely different from the rest of the Silent Hill games. It's new and fresh, Adds a whole other challenge. I haven't played Homecoming simply because I've heard it's really hard to get through some challenges in that game either because of a puzzle or a monster.

I'd say that the only SH game I hated for one simple factor is the ghosts from Silent Hill 4: The Room. Yeah, It's kind of like the chase sequences in Shattered Memories, But considering you were able to kill just about anything in Silent Hill 4, It didn't make sense why you couldn't do so with the ghosts.

I like the idea of realism being put in Shattered Memories. They're monsters, You know? If they truly existed, I don't see how anything not from our world could be killed, Let alone harmed. I guess that's why I feel so helpless in the game? Lol. =P

I love the chase sequences, But I still hate how the sense of direction is completely lost. Almost ALL the doors surrounding area are tinted with that lighter blue. Because of that fact, it's seriously hard to figure out where the hell to go to get out of the Nightmare. I guess I'm getting better at them, Because I haven't died as of yet in the third chase sequence at the school.

Also, Glad to see people like this game, Even remotely. ^-^
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

I'm really glad that they didn't skimp on the details during the Nightmare sequences-the School especially. There were some pretty trippy things in that chase, specifically the football field in the background and the math room.
Suiko
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Suiko »

Very great game, the story was beyond expectations. Hopefully this will put a rest to people who think the story is too similar to the original, because well...it's not, at all. This game really is 100% a re-imagining, or damn near 100%.
Oh, it should've been, could've been worse than you would ever know.
Well, you told me about nowhere well it sounds like someplace I'd like to go.
Eva-Unit01
Just Passing Through

Post by Eva-Unit01 »

Yeah, The chase sequences are very unique and amazing all in it's own way. I've been mostly tripped out during the woods chase sequence. But eventually after three minutes of it, I got seriously frustrated. The sense of direction is an epic fail, As I have stated in my previous posts, But other than that it is a unique and an amazing game.

Even though I have to start ALL OVER again, Because of some stupid data error that happened to erase my entire file. I worked so damn hard to get up to the mall where you have to do the Gumball machine puzzle to figure out what colors are for the mascot.

Despite that frustrating, pissy moment... I am still happy with the game. The story so far is beyond my expectations. I kept freaking out every time the therapist seemed to know more about my being as an individual. I guess that's why they put up the warning at the very bottom before playing stating "The more you play the game, It plays you." or something along those lines anyway.

And I completely agree with you on the fact that it's not a remake of the original Silent Hill game, But a re-imagining of the original. I'm starting to think that...
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
This isn't really Harry Mason. But someone else. Considering where the story is going and all. I don't recall Harry ever going to a therapist, I'm sure Heather would've said something around that in the third game, Right?
I'm currently at the woods (AGAIN). But I'm still trying my best to make sure my frustration doesn't get to me for losing that save file.

-Sighs.-

._.;;
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I will say one thing without spoiling anything:

The developers have stated that it is an alternate universe from the other Silent Hill games, though you can connect it if you want.
Eva-Unit01
Just Passing Through

Post by Eva-Unit01 »

Hmm. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for the little hint. ^_^
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

You're very welcome. You'll definitely get what I mean once you beat it.
Eva-Unit01
Just Passing Through

Post by Eva-Unit01 »

I'm sure I will. Hopefully it'll be one of those twist endings or something, Lol.

And I know this is completely off topic, But nice Elk (.Hack) sig. It's awesome. ^_^
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

lol, thanks!

And I hope you enjoy the game even more than you are already. If you need advice with playing it, feel free to PM me.
Eva-Unit01
Just Passing Through

Post by Eva-Unit01 »

Lol, No problem. xD

Yeah, Once I get back to where I was originally was, I'll be enjoying it once more.

And thanks, I'll make sure to do that if I need any help. x3