Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 22 Oct 2017




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Oct 2006
Notes left: 465
The Drunken Daddy was the one that got me the most, it also scared me deeply. Considering how much I drink, I can see my life going very much the same way,


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3219
It's not that it is more realistic, it is that because of it being more realistic, it is more relatable and hits home for more people. Thus, it effects us on a more personal level. I think the number of people who lost a loved one and wished they were back are much higher than the number of people chosen to be sacrificed for a crazy cult or the number of people that killed their wives.

Sure, there are plenty of things much worse than losing a loved one, but as humans we care more about the stuff that has a personal relevance to us than something we read about that happened to someone we don't know somewhere else. Sure, the other more drastic things may make for more disturbing and crazy stories, but the stuff that hits us home as "sad" is going to be the stuff that makes us recall things we have felt personally, the stuff we can relate to.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
Shacknasty, thanks for elaborating now; I understand much better, and I can see where you're coming from, though I disagree somewhat.

I agree that the other games have more dramatic plots, but what I liked about Shattered Memories was the presentation, and compared to the other games (which I thoroughly enjoy, don't get me wrong) it has more likelihood of happening in real life. To each their own, though; now that you've elaborated, I understand.

_________________
Image
Beyond the Joystick - game reviews, plot recaps, and more
http://beyond-the-joystick.blogspot.com - Also on Tumblr!


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
Precisely. As far as the story being sad and disturbing: there are plenty more disturbing things that happen in real life that far outshadow something so minute as the one presented in Shattered Memories.


The difference is that the case in Shattered Memories is something that a majority of people actually experience, and it really can tear up their lives in a way similar to Cheryl. You might as well go to a seven year old who's parents just divorced and say "What are you crying about? Kids are starving in Africa, you selfish asshole."

I mean, by your logic, there was totally nothing worth crying over in Silent Hill 2. There's WAAAAY worse stuff than killing your sick wife. I mean, she wasn't gonna live anyway, what's the big deal?

Frankly, it's personally been annoying me how in the Silent Hill series, once it got found out that "Drama and tragedy = great plot" that they just took it further and further over the top.

"Killing your wife and forgetting about it? Well shit, they're gonna love this thing about this guy becoming a serial killer so he can be with his mom, except it's not his mom but an apartment! Hoo boy!" or "Oh hey, I got a great idea. Why not have all these parents kill their kids for some reason? And this dude is a soldier, but he's not, he's totally just crazy because he killed his brother! Also rape all over the place."

Aside from Shattered Memories and Silent Hill 2, all the other Silent Hill games, imo, aren't populated by a cast of humans with pitiable stories and tragic circumstances, but a bunch of over-the-top cartoony monsters who just keep being dicks to each other over and over and fucking over as if the federal government had been replaced by 4chan's /b/ or something.

BTW notice this also correlates with games that have an Order focus.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 25 May 2009
Notes left: 276
AuraTwilight wrote:
The difference is that the case in Shattered Memories is something that a majority of people actually experience, and it really can tear up their lives in a way similar to Cheryl.


My point was that while it's more "realistic" and relatable to people I said that there are way worse things that happen in real life that can scar somebody worse than this. That's my reasoning, genius.

Quote:
You might as well go to a seven year old who's parents just divorced and say "What are you crying about? Kids are starving in Africa, you selfish asshole."


Uh no. You're missing the point.

Quote:
I mean, by your logic, there was totally nothing worth crying over in Silent Hill 2. There's WAAAAY worse stuff than killing your sick wife. I mean, she wasn't gonna live anyway, what's the big deal?


Reason I brought up that instance is because it's much stronger than what happened in Shattered Memories. That doesn't mean SH2 is the end all be all top of the chain as far as horrible events go. It seems you're trying to put words in me my mouth which isn't the way to go about debating.

Quote:
Frankly, it's personally been annoying me how in the Silent Hill series, once it got found out that "Drama and tragedy = great plot" that they just took it further and further over the top.


And how did they "take it further and further over the top"?

Quote:
"Killing your wife and forgetting about it? Well shit, they're gonna love this thing about this guy becoming a serial killer so he can be with his mom, except it's not his mom but an apartment! Hoo boy!" or "Oh hey, I got a great idea. Why not have all these parents kill their kids for some reason? And this dude is a soldier, but he's not, he's totally just crazy because he killed his brother! Also rape all over the place."


Now you're just being absurd.

Quote:
Aside from Shattered Memories and Silent Hill 2, all the other Silent Hill games, imo, aren't populated by a cast of humans with pitiable stories and tragic circumstances, but a bunch of over-the-top cartoony monsters who just keep being dicks to each other over and over and fucking over as if the federal government had been replaced by 4chan's /b/ or something.


This just further destroys any reason for me to take you seriously if you type up such irrelevant and outright childish nonsense.

I would consider SH3 to have quite a human side to it. Harry received this child at the end of SH1. He didn't know who or what exactly it was. All he knew is that Alessa gave it to him. Despite that he cared for the child. The child grew up to love him and appreciate him.

Then he gets murdered. I would consider that to be a bit stronger than anything in SM.

Quote:
BTW notice this also correlates with games that have an Order focus.


Yeah, I definitely saw this coming. You hate Order storylines. There's nothing wrong with them if a good concept can be done with them.

And despite any fanboy blabber that doesn't equate to being a bad storyline just because it's the Order nor does it imply there is a shortage of ideas.

_________________
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
Quote:
Aside from Shattered Memories and Silent Hill 2, all the other Silent Hill games, imo, aren't populated by a cast of humans with pitiable stories and tragic circumstances, but a bunch of over-the-top cartoony monsters who just keep being dicks to each other over and over and fucking over as if the federal government had been replaced by 4chan's /b/ or something.


Dear god I ROFL'd.

@Shack:

Maybe I'm used to how Aura writes, but... I don't find him antagonistic, in that last post. I'm not sure why you're accusing him of fanboyism and such; he just dislikes the focus on the Order. He never said he absolutely hates games with that sort of focus, but he prefers things like Shattered Memories, in which there isn't one.

And I DO kind of want to point out...

Quote:
Uh no. You're missing the point.


Except he's not completely doing so. You're saying that there's no reason to be sad about what Cheryl went through because there's worse; he's doing the same thing, but taking it to a bigger scale.

Quote:

Reason I brought up that instance is because it's much stronger than what happened in Shattered Memories. That doesn't mean SH2 is the end all be all top of the chain as far as horrible events go.


For what it's worth, I didn't feel much at all in SH2. Maybe it's because I knew the storyline far before I played it, but I didn't feel an emotional connection, myself.

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely saw this coming. You hate Order storylines. There's nothing wrong with them if a good concept can be done with them.


I do agree with this, though I can see Aura's point that a lot of the Order stuff can be a bit outlandish. I like both storylines, myself, though I do see both of your points.

Quote:
And despite any fanboy blabber that doesn't equate to being a bad storyline just because it's the Order nor does it imply there is a shortage of ideas.


You told him to stop putting words in your mouth, but you seem to be doing the same thing here. I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but it seems to me that that is what you're doing. He's not saying the Order is the worst thing to ever happen, nor did he say (as far as I can see) that they're short ideas. From what I gleaned from his post, he just dislikes how over-the-top they can get, and prefers the more realistic storylines.

_________________
Image
Beyond the Joystick - game reviews, plot recaps, and more
http://beyond-the-joystick.blogspot.com - Also on Tumblr!


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
Antagonistic nonsense removed. Keep it polite, please.

Any who feel they've been misunderstood here might do well to reread this post. If everyone else wants to reread it, that's cool too. :wink:


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Yea, word of advice: Shack, if you can't keep your head while talking to me or reading my posts, just don't until you can gain the maturity to stop your raging hate-boner. I apologize for whatever I said to set you so over the edge, but I wasn't trying to antagonize you or anyone else, so let's both just cool it. No need for you to be stalking me to every thread to Omnislash-quote your arguments.

To new beginnings! (WeNeedaWineGobletEmoticonGetOnIt)

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 25 May 2009
Notes left: 276
AuraTwilight wrote:
Yea, word of advice: Shack, if you can't keep your head while talking to me or reading my posts


We're stopping right here. Given the past few posts of yours you aren't in any position to be commenting on keeping one's head. Just because I point out the flaws in your behavior doesn't magically equate to losing ones cool or acting "immature".

Quote:
just don't until you can gain the maturity to stop your raging hate-boner.


Pointing out the hypocrisy of your posts doesn't equate to hate either. Now you're just blowing it out of proportion.

Quote:
I apologize for whatever I said to set you so over the edge, but I wasn't trying to antagonize you or anyone else, so let's both just cool it. No need for you to be stalking me to every thread to Omnislash-quote your arguments.


Stalking? Excuse me? Just because I enter a topic and respond to you doesn't mean I'm "stalking". Even if I was what is there to complain about? It's not exactly like I would be able to do anything beyond posting.

As far as "omnislashing" goes stop blowing everything out of proportion. It's simply a nice way to organize posts.

_________________
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 06 Apr 2010
Notes left: 64
Last seen at: Kingsport, TN
Jecht wrote:
Wow, that's pretty sad...

I was sad by the ending but didn't cry. FF7 is the only game to make me cry (RIP Aeris)

:o Poor Aerith!!! :( I'm going to cosplay as her this year. I'm pretty excited. The Legend of Dragoon made me cry...>_>.
Shattered Memories made me cry when I realized I was Cheryl the whole time. As soon as I saw Cheryl I immediately thought in my head, "Yeah, I think blondes do have more fun right now." :( I was depress.

_________________
My Mollyanne, due March 15th!
Image


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7462
Last seen at: Kentucky
Just stop talking to each other PLEASE. No one is stalking you AuraTwilight so please don't flatter yourself.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Actually that one guy who just got banned was and I have AIM logs to prove it. XP

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Apr 2006
Notes left: 283
Yeah, SM, SH2, and FFVII are the only stirring games i've really played. But to be honest, I was disappointed by how they revealed the twist at the end of SM. I just like how SH2 gave you a nice 5 minute cinematic/letter. Even though it wasn't really needed, it was like a "job well done." But SM just kind of told you the twist and then, credits! Still loved it though.

_________________
Myrrh Macho Sehr Gacho


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Jul 2004
Notes left: 2099
Last seen at: Australia
I am a bit of a sucker for crying in video games; I cried in 2, I lost it in 3, and I've cried during several Final Fantasy games (to this day, despite playing it dozens of times, I always cry at the end of FFX). This was on a whole new level. I felt absolutely gutted at the end.

Even though Harry has been long-dead in canon, it still shocked me. My heart broke for Cheryl, and Harry too. Harry has gone through so much for his daughter, he's suffered so much and he never, ever gets a happy ending. I don't even know if I can bring myself to play this game again. I got through it very quickly (maybe too quickly) and the end totally blew me away.

At first, I didn't like the game. I thought a re-imagining was pointless, I wasn't keen on playing Silent Hill on the Wii and I hated the way none of the characters were like I remembered them. But then I was amazed by the sensitivity of the psych reading, the way everything counts and things evolve and change during the game, and the emotional ending was brilliant. I think Climax is doing an excellent job raising Team Silent's baby.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 07 Jun 2010
Notes left: 65
Last seen at: Selecta
Cheryl's face... that's why I hide mine.

_________________
Father, why have you forsaken me?


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
Even though Harry has been long-dead in canon, it still shocked me. My heart broke for Cheryl, and Harry too. Harry has gone through so much for his daughter, he's suffered so much and he never, ever gets a happy ending.


Ever gotten the ending where Cheryl refuses to let go? Perhaps that could be a "happy ending" for Harry...through one perspective. ;_;

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Jul 2004
Notes left: 2099
Last seen at: Australia
Not yet, I really want to get that one. I was really hoping Harry would get a happy ending where he lived, since they weren't following canon.

I kind of expected him to die at the end, but I didn't expect what happened.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
^He kinds of does. In my first play through (and none since) Harry says something to Cheryl and the cutscene ended there, w/o him freezing up or shattering. I was glad that he lived, even though my sister pointed out to me that this meant Cheryl was keeping her delusion, but whatever. I still have my imaginary version of the Harry I fell in love w/ back in 1999, strong in my mind.

When I did eventually get one of the endings in which he was destroyed, I cried. LIKE A BITCH, I CRIED!

_________________
Image
The war has begun:
Use your voice today before you no longer have one tomorrow.
World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
Harrys_Girl wrote:
^He kinds of does. In my first play through (and none since) Harry says something to Cheryl and the cutscene ended there, w/o him freezing up or shattering. I was glad that he lived, even though my sister pointed out to me that this meant Cheryl was keeping her delusion, but whatever. I still have my imaginary version of the Harry I fell in love w/ back in 1999, strong in my mind.
!


I have a friend who did the same thing. She hadn't played the original game, but felt that any ending in which Harry shattered was absolutely horrible.

_________________
Image
Beyond the Joystick - game reviews, plot recaps, and more
http://beyond-the-joystick.blogspot.com - Also on Tumblr!


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Mar 2007
Notes left: 541
Last seen at: South Carolina, USA
I've finally seen all the endings, and the one that tears me up most is the drunken dad ending, I can totally understand why Cheryl made him seem better as my dad acts just like that. All the therapy session endings make me sad too.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: