Shattered Memories and Component cables

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Slunk
Just Passing Through

Shattered Memories and Component cables

Post by Slunk »

Hey everyone, new user here but long time lurker. Love the game, its very engaging. I was just wondering if anyone was playing it with the wii component cables and if they improve on the frame rate. I notice that when I enter some rooms, moving the flashlight around becomes a little slow. The lag opening doors doesn't bother me that much, but in those nightmare chase sequences, it becomes a little annoying. Will component cables fix this?

Thanks for your time, tried searching the forum for answers but nothing really came up so I thought I would make my own thread. Sorry if its been asked before.

Thanks,
Slunk.
Endri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Endri »

The component cables has nothing to do with the game's frame rate.

To be technicall, the frame rate drops from 60fps for something less because of the game needs to render the scene three times, one from the flashlight's point of view, one from the game camera's point of view, and one more time from the camera's point of view, but this time, the depthbuffer only, then a huge math must be performed in order to calculate the difference between each pixel of two large 512x512px texture, in order to produce the shadowmaps with self-shadows of the flashlight.

To solve the problem, turn the flashlight off. Oh, no more framerate issues!

Additionally, the game lags when opening a door because everything is streamed. The room you're supposed to enter is loaded into the memoriy when you approach the door. The game lags while it's loading the data.
http://endri.webs.com
[spoiler]Harry's name isn't Harry. Harry is just a nickname. His name is Harrold.
James' actual occupation is clerk.
Heather smoked until the age of 17.
EDIT - INFLAMATORY - T.
Travis is virgin.
Alex's a uninteresting character.

The bushes in the original SMB are also the clouds.

artic[b]UNO[/b], zap[b]DOS[/b], mol[b]TRES[/b][/spoiler]
Slunk
Just Passing Through

Post by Slunk »

Thanks for responding back. I guess I will skip out on buying component cables.
NAP
Just Passing Through

Post by NAP »

The cables would probably still be worth buying. If you have a CRT TV, even if it doesn't support progressive scan, the component cables will make your picture much sharper looking. And if it does support progressive scan, it will look even better. And if you have an LCD or plasma tv, I can't even imagine how bad the Wii would look on it without components. I have a Wii connected to a 40" Bravia LCD and the Wii doesn't look that great running in 480p but it has to look better than in 480i through composite.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I use component cables to play Wii, to be honest they don't make a huge difference to the picture quality over an RGB cable (a UK thing, it's better than composite, doesn't have the colour bleeding and it's sharper, one better than S-Video) but it eliminates the weird sort of ghosting effect you get where the frames sort of echo themselves (I guess it's interlaced so you're still seeing the previous frame on half of the lines)...
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Roorii
Just Passing Through

Post by Roorii »

I've been playing on the Wii via component cables since release, and I've got to say.
Shit's pretty damn cash.
It looks very sharp on a HDTV (unlike an RBG which can be very blurry at times). Games like Shattered Memories, or Mario Galaxy really shine through when using component. I say invest in a purchase.
[ [b][url=http://roorii.deviantart.com/]DeviantART[/url][/b] | [b][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/RoryMcHugo/]Youtube[/url][/b] ]
in zero
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by in zero »

Get the component cables. Huge difference. It's the only thing keeping my Wii's output from looking like a Gameboy Advance.