Is This Game Killing Silent Hill?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Is This Game Killing The Silent Hill Franchise?

Poll ended at 29 Jan 2010

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 142

Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Is This Game Killing Silent Hill?

Post by Typographenia »

SHF wrote:it is a better emphasis on exploration
That's something I kind of wish we had gotten more of. We were on a fairly limited exploration allowance. The only places we were granted any real freedom was the school and the woods. Also, it was fairly disappointing to have most of the solutions to "puzzles" in the very room that they were in.

I just hope Downpour doesn't give us too much freedom for exploration and cross over into sandbox-ville. If it was something like Deadly Premonition I would be perfectly fine with that.

---------------

On a side note, it's going to take a while to get used to your new name and avatar, SHF, haha!
SHF

Post by SHF »

^ I guess what I meant was that you could control the camera better in this game than in the others ( except in homecoming, where you can go into first person view)

I agree with you about Downpour :)

^ I know it will lol
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Yeah, exploration was pretty limited. It's actually a pretty linear game, though it's nice that your choices can randomly change things. As has been pointed out, the puzzles don't add much either.

I think I would have rather had the memos than the "memories," as the voicemails were all a pretty badly acted mix of banality and unintentional humor.

Deadly Premonition had a great emphasis on exploration, and if Downpour is gonna be more open world, I really hope it takes some influence from that underrated game.
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

Seriously Shacknasty, it's a little ridiculous how you seem to find any excuse you can to attack Aura. It's immature as hell, and really, not needed...
Thing that kills me is how people keep saying "grow up!" and "immature", but they don't have enough to ignore these comments and throw little temper tantrums about them which doesn't exactly help the off topicness you all keep whining about. If Aura is going to act like a little internet elitist wannabe he better not be surprised that sooner or later somebody is going to yank him off his little cloud. Up until this point this little exchange had already gone a few days without posting but for some a couple of you choose to still complain about it days after it was already dead. :roll:
That's something I kind of wish we had gotten more of. We were on a fairly limited exploration allowance. The only places we were granted any real freedom was the school and the woods. Also, it was fairly disappointing to have most of the solutions to "puzzles" in the very room that they were in.
Yeah, the older games were better in that you had to scour your notes to come up with a solution.
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard
SHF

Post by SHF »

It's the fact that YOUR not ignoring it. Your still keeping it going.
This thread is about silent hill, not about you two guys insulting each other.
So let's stay on topic before a Mod gets sick of the shit, and closes it.
Thank you.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

SHF wrote:^ I guess what I meant was that you could control the camera better in this game than in the others ( except in homecoming, where you can go into first person view)
Oh, I'm sorry! I thought you simply meant exploration of the map.

In that case, I agree! I loved the ability to zoom on stuff. Sure, it didn't really end up adding much to how you play the game, but I liked being able to investigate my surroundings a little more closely. I just wish we had gotten a game that was as detailed as 2 or 3 to really get the most out of the mechanic.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

If Aura is going to act like a little internet elitist wannabe
I honestly have no idea where you're getting this impression of me from. What the hell did I say to you to apparently piss you off for over a year?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SHF

Post by SHF »

I hear the footsteps of a Mod.....Guys seriously who gives a fuck about what the other person thinks of you? I mean, if you really care, then PM each other.
^
Yeah, that's what I meant about the exploration thing. It's really unique.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

Shacknasty wrote:
Seriously Shacknasty, it's a little ridiculous how you seem to find any excuse you can to attack Aura. It's immature as hell, and really, not needed...
Thing that kills me is how people keep saying "grow up!" and "immature", but they don't have enough to ignore these comments and throw little temper tantrums about them which doesn't exactly help the off topicness you all keep whining about. If Aura is going to act like a little internet elitist wannabe he better not be surprised that sooner or later somebody is going to yank him off his little cloud. Up until this point this little exchange had already gone a few days without posting but for some a couple of you choose to still complain about it days after it was already dead. :roll:
Look, i for one am not throwing a "temper tantrum" i just find it kind of embarrassing that people who are supposedly adults feel the need to hurl insults at each other over a video game.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Shacknasty, whatever you're trying to do, it's not working. Everyone has bad days and sometimes people can be rude... I personally haven't always been as polite as I should have been either. But going on a personal crusade against a person who bothers you is only going to backfire against yourself.

Take my advice... take the high road.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^^^This thread has a lot of potential to instigate great discussions about Shattered Memories, and I would appreciate it not being closed as well.

That being said>>from what I can tell, Homecoming was more detrimental to the series than SM. :?
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
SHF

Post by SHF »

^
Silentwren, I agree with you on that.
Even though homecoming was a great game in my opinion, its not nearly as good as Shattered Memories. Homecoming's story was interesting, but it didn't have that connection that I felt with Shattered Memories.
Don, Aman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Don, Aman »

SilentWren wrote:Homecoming was more detrimental to the series than SM. :?
I'm going to... er... third that. I know how divisive this game has been among the fanbase, but personally, I appreciate that they're trying to do new things with the series. It's certainly better than letting it all end. Or, worse, making it the latest action/shoot-em-up monstrosity... looking at you here, RE5...
Don stepped outside... It feels good to be alone... He wished he was drunk...
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^Thankfully Homecoming didn't go that far with the action. Going back and looking at the older games, you could always do light and heavy attacks, but it wasn't as noticeable because it was dependent on pressure sensitivity, whereas Homecoming had them assigned to two different buttons. They did let you aim with guns, but they weren't particularly useful for most monsters. It was mostly meh for me, though.
HELLS HOLE CREEK
Just Passing Through

Post by HELLS HOLE CREEK »

(Eats packet of crisps in the background with a provoking grin and loud crunching sound) I would like climax to make another wii outing before the consoles end
I found this creek a quiet place... away from the rat race somewhere i can be me... as i stared into that calmness
PsychedelicRabbit
Just Passing Through

Post by PsychedelicRabbit »

I personally thought this game was very entertaining. It did to me what hasn't happened since I played SH3 - I wanted to keep playing it. I wanted to see what happened. I didn't know what to expect. I like that in a game.

Were the puzzles easy? Yes. I'd have loved it if they made it more like the older games where you really had to consider all your options and looking through old notes to find the answer. I think someone mentioned this before?

I don't miss the old Cult of the Silent Hill series, to be honest. It was a good plot while it lasted, but to push it out any further would make it dull. Nobody would want to play it. The only people who would get it are those who have an understanding of the series and have played all the other games.

SM gave SH a new life and I loved it. I don't think SH has to be about a particular town and it's history for it to make a good game. SH can be anything - a mental state or a physical sensation. It doesn't have to be about being scared because of a monster. I think the biggest kind of fear is the mental ones - the ones that leave you haunted, which SH2 and SM did to me. SH is not so much a "town" to me as it is just a mental state. I don't know that that's made any sense, but I'm hoping it does, haha.

Anyway. Just my thoughts on it. :)
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

I don't think it's killing the series at all. But as much as I enjoy it on it's own merits, I just can't fully embrace this game. Maybe I'm just some pathetic fanboy but SM feels like an interloper, like it's masquerading as a game in my favorite series. I love it, I hate it; I'm heavily conflicted.
NeoRanger
Just Passing Through

Post by NeoRanger »

I gave up after three and every title I've played since has been only because they bear the name 'Silent Hill'. Shattered Memories was the first one that I actually enjoyed, so as far as I'm concerned it's a step to the right direction. Not that it's perfect mind you; I've never been interested on the entire 'scary' argument, because I didn't find any of them scary after the original, but I can understand where people come from with that. My biggest issue with the game was the 'ice world'. The idea of taking out the combat isn't bad in and on itself, but the wooden dolls are just irritating in many levels.

I know I'm the minority in this (hell, I may be even the only one suggesting it), but I'd be fine with a SH title in the vein of SM without any monster hunt/combat. SM managed to work the atmosphere very, very well on the 'normal' parts, even if there was no practical threat to the player. With a few extra tricks, I'll take spooky over actual monsters. But again, I understand why people disagree with me on that.

In any case, I've enjoyed SM and stands tall as my 3rd favorite in the series (which says a lot considering that over seven titles, I've barely enjoyed 4 of them).
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Absolutely not. As has been said many times in here, it brought a fresh take to the story, as well as many new fans to the series. Was it the best SH ever, as SH games go? Probably not. But what it was was fun and good. The plot twist was neat, even if some people "totally saw it coming" (maybe you did, but you're not everyone, and hindsight is a nasty, lying, obscuring thing), the way the game unfolded as memories in a therapy session was new and very different (the use of personality tests altering how you "remembered" events and appearances was just brilliant IMO, and it was not unlike what I just said about memory and hindsight), and the mechanics were fun on the Wii. I'd be quite happy to see something like the controller as a phone again, or using the more intuitive bodily motions to do things, instead of making me memorize what button does what.

In a moment of panic/monster attack, I don't want to be thinking about pushing A+R trigger while pushing the D pad blah blah blah. I want to be scared and react, not have to step out of the game to fumble with the controller. I liked that. I'm the type who wants to explore every corner and read every scrap of paper, and when I have to worry about things killing me because my thumbs have no dexterity, it takes me out of the game.

There's no reason to say that SM is "killing" SH, certainly not in the long term, and certainly not in spirit. That's nothing more than the rantings of someone who didn't like it and can't understand that it won't be like SM forever now. If anything, I'm kinda sad that this format probably can't be reused without giving the ending away (OH PLEASE SOMEONE PROVE ME WRONG ON THAT).
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Magnolia
Just Passing Through

Post by Magnolia »

Shattered Memories is terrible. If I wanted to play a game where the entire plotline is someone's drug trip, I'd just play high. Sorry to be blunt, but....yeah. Silent Hill 1 was good because the story was about a man looking for his daughter, not a man in a mental hospital hallucinating about looking for his daughter who doesn't exist.
Image Image