Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 Oct 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: on cars, trains, planes, and boats

Missing since: 29 Dec 2009
Notes left: 27
Throughout the game, Harry escapes cars that are snowed-in, underwater, frozen over (Dahlia calls the boat a car) abandoned and crashed. My theory: If you take to the born from a wish explanation for Harry, this emphasis on his ability to walk away from immobilized cars makes sense since, in Cheryl's eyes, her perfect dad would be someone who could get out of crashes and similar situations unharmed (just like how Maria, as the idealized Mary, gets killed over and over without really dying, thus patching up the problem of Mary's mortality).
This is held in contrast to Lisa, who dies from wounds from her own car accident. In my opinion, Lisa exists partly as an example of the common person, who Cheryl believes her father is superior to and different from. They can die, but he cant.

And about the trains and plane in the nightmare: they're more cataclysmic than a car crash, but in Cheryl's mind, the news of her dad's death came as a larger-than-life blow, and these bigger wreckages probably represent the exaggerated level of devastation that she views her dad's death with. Also, the fact that they're all tools of transport- taking you from point A to point B - could represent her wish to keep herself from making the connections needed to recognize the truth. Of course, this is just one theory out of a lot of a lot of legitimate ones. What do you guys think?

Oh btw, this was my first SH game (I loved it) and my first post. Hi guys.

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
I think this is a very decent interpretation! I like it. Good job!

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
I like it too. I was wondering about the trains, but this really makes sense for them to be in the hospital this way. It's when her life became a trainwreck.

Don't kill me for that pun.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Nov 2009
Notes left: 791
Last seen at: Lakeview hotel, Observation room
*Killz*

Thats a very good interpretation and one hell of a welcome message.

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: on cars, trains, planes, and boats

Missing since: 13 Dec 2009
Notes left: 46
yahwehorhighway wrote:
Throughout the game, Harry escapes cars that are snowed-in, underwater, frozen over (Dahlia calls the boat a car) abandoned and crashed. My theory: If you take to the born from a wish explanation for Harry, this emphasis on his ability to walk away from immobilized cars makes sense since, in Cheryl's eyes, her perfect dad would be someone who could get out of crashes and similar situations unharmed (just like how Maria, as the idealized Mary, gets killed over and over without really dying, thus patching up the problem of Mary's mortality).

I never thought about how frequently cars appeared and were a part of the plot... man, this game is AWESOME. I don't know about the Maria parallel, but I think that there is definitely some symbolism going on. I'll have to be mindful of it and watch for it on my next run through. :D

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Aug 2008
Notes left: 152
Last seen at: Neely's Bar, South Vale Silent Hill
I guess it makes sense that the cars are the setting for some of the most intense sequences since Cheryl was in a car accident with her dad when he was killed.

Post subject:

Cheryl wasn't actually in the accident, I don't think.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Dec 2009
Notes left: 27
hmm. Whether or not Cheryl was in the car could be open to debate. I thought that he died right after the last taped scene ended (so while he was moving out, leaving his wife and daughter and it started snowing), but there's no conclusive evidence either way.
Quote:
It's when her life became a trainwreck.

Don't kill me for that pun.

Haha actually that works very well. Probably intended by the designers?

Quote:
Welcome to the forum

Thanks! I can tell you're a good neighbor :D

Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1766
Last seen at: Chicago
For the first post of the forum about your very first Silent Hill game, your theory is downright awesome. Welcome to the forum!

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
For your first post and silent hill game, this was great :o

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Apr 2009
Notes left: 72
^
Ditto...

I see many more awesome theories in your future here, yahwehorhighway! =)

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Aug 2009
Notes left: 153
Last seen at: Lakeview Hotel; Room 207
Great way to introduce yourself in the forums!! 8D As others have said, welcome and I look forward to hearing any other theories you might have!!

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
AuraTwilight wrote:
Cheryl wasn't actually in the accident, I don't think.

Cheryl wasn't in the accident we see with IdealHarry because she's in Kaufmann's office at the time.

However, the fact that IdealHarry thinks she's in the car makes me inclined to think Cheryl was in the original accident. Being present during his death would add to Cheryl's extreme feelings of guilt she clearly has about his death.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Post subject:

That's true. But I don't know, I guess I just assumed he died on the trip away from the family when he divorced Dahlia (assuming all endings go in the same timeline). Dahlia definitely gives this "you're not seeing my daughter any time soon" vibe, to me.

But I could go either way; got nothing against Cheryl being in the car.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 May 2009
Notes left: 223
Last seen at: Colombia
lol, I actually thought that the trains were only there because they looked cool.

Anyway, it was a really good theory!

Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
It kind of strikes me that if Cheryl was in the car with Harry, she wouldn't be able to deny his death at all...

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

^Cheryl never denied her father's death, she didn't accept it.

Post subject:

Kauffman explictly states that she's been denying Harry's death. One of the ghost messages you can get for the car inbetween the woods and the high school is "stop it! Stop it, or I'll tell my Dad!" Who's in the photo? Cheryl.

"Deny Daddy's death; deny who Daddy was!"

Quote:
It kind of strikes me that if Cheryl was in the car with Harry, she wouldn't be able to deny his death at all...

It would explain how she can conjure his dead face at the steering wheel for the echo in the movie theatre. She could have just repressed the memory, a la James Sunderland or Alex Shepherd.

Or she has ESP :D

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Kaufman's words could have been misunderstood, I mean, he isn't that directly. I don't think that she denied her father's death... it's impossible. She knows he is dead, but that doesn't stop her to wait for him enter through the door of her house every day.

Cheryl is not just a case of "My daddy is not dead!". She dated old mans, looking for her father, yes, but I don't think she expected something. She wasn't that childish. She knew he was dead, and that's what fucked her life.

Denying her father's death would only make her a crazy autistic girl, no the complex person she is now.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Dec 2009
Notes left: 34
...Autism has nothing to do with it.

The whole game is about how Harry is looking for her little girl Cheryl, all of which is Cheryl's delusion.

The thing about complicated grief is it's complicated.

She knows Harry isn't there, but doesn't accept his death, even if she saw him die right in front of her it's a repressed memory, he simply crashed the car and is looking for her. As you can imagine it becomes more complicated for that to occur given it's been 18 years, as reviled multiple times by Cybil, more importantly an authority figure, who freezes in the repression each time.