About the Nightmare Sequences

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

About the Nightmare Sequences

Post by Lifetolifeless »

I'm having a terrible time with them, and I'd like to know if there's some easy shortcut way to get through them. Or, better yet, a way to bypass them altogether. I just turned the game off out of frustration, and I will not play it again until I find a way to do one of these two things. It seems like there's an interesting narrative angle to explore in this game, but the mere thought of having to flail around like a jackass through another one of those nightmare sequences makes me want to track down the designer and shit in his heart.

Anybody have any tips?

Patience is the darkest side of power.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

No, you can't bypass them; they're kind of a crucial part of the game.

I CAN give you some tips on how to make them a little less frustrating:

When you're trying to shove monsters off of you, don't just flail wildly. You need to push the Wii Remote and Nunchuck in a specific direction; don't flail, but don't hardly jerk it. Move as if you're shoving someone off of you.

If they're on your back, shove them over your right shoulder.
If they're on your front, shove the controller forward.
If they're on your right, push right; if your left, push left.

When you're running, if you have just a second without Raw Shocks, you can check your map, but do it QUICKLY. Try and keep a decent sense of direction if you can.
Walter10h
Just Passing Through

Post by Walter10h »

Use these with Ocarina.

infinite health
04063CD8 60000000
04066F98 60000000

always in peak physical condition
04063F7C 60000000
makes it so you don't get injured and start limping

flares burn forever
04BA7218 40000000

flares burn forever (flameless flare)
041475F8 60000000

flare burn length mod
04BA7214 XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX is a floating point value for the number of seconds
the default is 41C80000 which is 25 in FP
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

I know how you feel L2L, I also found those areas incredibly frustrating. Even at the end of the game, seems like I could never shake a raw shock off my left side. And if 3 or more guys grabbed you, well forget it. I think it would have helped immensely if the game relied more on the nunchuck, having you shake that instead. Same thing when you're interacting in the exploration areas, I hated having to twist the remote. Would have rather locked on with the Wiimote and then rotated the analog stick on the nunchuck.

Anyways, you just have to keep practicing the Otherworld areas. None of them are terribly long. Towards the end of the game, I started to get the hang of it. Here are some of my tips:

* Get a wireless nunchuck
* Don't stop moving
* Keep your flare for when you're totally getting ganged on. I would never bother dropping it unless you're about to pick up a new one.
* Get in the habit of knocking stuff over, it starts to feel natural with some practice
* Make sure to wiggle your nunchuck when climbing or shimming under something to speed things up
* Don't bother hiding, though it might give you enough time to whip our your GPS
* Speaking of which, don't forget the action stops when you bring up the full screen map. Said map becomes less and less useful as you play though :x
* Someone in another thread said to look for doors that are lit or covered in ice as that will be the correct path. Not sure if that's true or not, but something to keep in mind.
* Every sequence has a "safe area" I believe, if you're in a room where you have to solve a puzzle take a breather and save.
* Finally, there is one puzzle where you have to deal with being attacked by Raw Shocks to figure out the answer. Trying to snap a photo in this situation is incredibly hard, better to exploit the #1 or 2 button that brings up the main menu, though it's hard to get a good angle at the solution. And make sure to write them down correctly, I epically failed the first time and had to go back! D'oh

Hope that helps you somewhat. And if you're still frustrated, there are still the PSP and PS2 ports.
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

Hey, thanks for such in-depth responses. I've managed to look-the-other-way and pretend-this-isn't-happening enough to nearly complete the game by now. Content-wise, the game is alright, but the nightmare sequences are still indefensible in my opinion.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

First thing you should do when the nightmare hits is turn off your flashlight. You'll still be able to see fine, but a lot less of the little fuckers will chase you.

You don't need to shove hard with the remotes to get them off of you when they latch on. Just a quick flicking motion with both hands does the trick.

Keep an eye out for visual clues. Something off, or different. They don't always give you clues, but when they do they mark the correct path.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The nightmare sequences are definately the worst part of the game.

At the start it was scary and exiciting, but the more you fail and have to start over, the more annoying they become so the next time they come around you're no longer scared or looking forward to it, it's just annoying.

I think this has mroe to do with the fact that the Wii-mote isn't that responsive.

As people have suggested, don't flail around wildly! I know, I know, it's stupid that they expect the player to remain calm in that situation... I had the same problem, gave up and stopped playing the game for a month! Then because so many critics were saying good things aout the game I decided to finish it.

I discovered that you have to make the showing motions gentlly. Well not gently, but not wildly either. Try going for a moderate deal of motion and it will work and the nightmare sections are easier.

So protip: DON'T Flail the wiimote or panic and do it quickly. Moderate motions in the direction that the monster is grabbing onto you will do. Remain calm! (Stupid as the whole point of the section is to make you panic and worry, this has more to do with teh Wii's crappy controls, maybe the PS2 version will play better, or if the game supported Wii Motion+).

Also check your map frequently when you're at a safe enough distance. Hit the d-pad left to pull it up and zoom in with A. You can even try drawing the route with the pen to help yourself keep track of where you're going. If you fail try and remember the shape of the route you took last time and sketch it on the map. Don't worry, the game is paused when you're zoomed in and the monsters won't attack. Hitting dpad left again will put the phone away. Keep in ind though that you slow down when you pull out the gps and need time to pick up running speed again.

If you have the flares, don't light them up right away. Save them if you're not surrounded and pull them out at opportune times when there's many monsters. Then drop the flare before you reach a door to open it. This will slow them down from following you.

Another shitty thing about the game is that sometimes you have the flare but monsters get stuck in front of youand you can't proceed due to the game's poor hit detection. They beome like invisible walls and getting through them to where youneed to go is tough, so avoid getting stuck in narrow hallways with plenty of monsters otherwise you're just flat out f#*&ed.

Now here's some mroe tips for further sections of the game, but may be spolers if you havent reached them.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Some sections of the game will require to go back out and take photographs or to look at something to solve a puzzle. The nice thing is that even if you get killed f you already completed one part of the search mission, then you don't have to do that over again. There are three parts I'll give you advice on:

1) At the school you'll have to go to locations on the map and take photos of red lit locations. Chart a good route knowing the layout before hand as you'd have already run through it once before. Use the blue guide lines as your chart and follow them. Sketch it out again with the pen if you have to. Just run, whip out your camera with d-pad right and click more or less at the spot where you must take the picture. Don't worry about framing it right. If you fail before taking all 3. It's alright the ones you took before getting caught still count.

2) At the mall, you'll spot the mascot which is a toucan bird. Take a picture of a poster you see or of the statue in the mall or just commit the colours of his beak to memory, you'll need it for a puzzle. If you rememebr the colours then you don't have to run back out to get them again.

3) The maze in nowhere, this is a frustrating one, it takes place in nowhere and your map is useless. Unless you're patient enough to try it again and again, I suggest just using a walkthrough. Just realize that the rooms you're running into are the exact same ones so keep track mentally of the doors you're going through and to try a different door. This advice isn't that good, so to save yourself the effort, if you find it's too frustrating just use a walkthrough. I also encountered a bug in this section of the game that made it unplayable.
Overall these part of the game need work. Playing it without motion controls is probably easier, but remember to remain calm and make simple easy to read motions with the Wii-mote and you'll be fine. The only downside to this otherwise wonderful game!
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

I only died once during the Nightmare sequences... I am NOT bragging, God knows I suck shit at about every game I've ever played, but I found the Nightmare sequences really easy...

Most of the time I didn't even look at the map more than once. Just get a general sense of where you need to go and run through doors without stopping to do anything except knock down shelves.

I actually had a lot of fun during these sequences.
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

To elaborate on (and sort of refute) JDNation's advice about the Nowhere-Apartment-Chase:
You don't need a walkthrough for this nightmare, you just need to keep your head. Think logically--yes, the developers want you to feel overwhelmed and confused and lost, but they also want you to complete the game, so its not impossible. They left breadcrumbs and clues all throughout the stage.

For instance: when you find yourself running through the same rooms over and over and over later on, KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR VISUAL CLUES. They're not expecting you to just try random doors until you happen to find the right route--they left you breadcrumbs. Look for details that differentiate doors from one another, indicating the correct path: overhead lights, murky ice buildup. Any detail that makes a door stick out from the rest is generally a clue that its the door you want.

I'm really not meaning to brag either, but the Nowhere-Apartment was one of the easiest mazes for me to navigate, because I just kept in mind the fact that they had to make it solvable. You really shouldn't need a walkthrough, and resorting to one will cheat you out of the most deliciously disorienting chase in the game
And Catch, I had a blast during the nightmares too. Well, I don't really know if you could call it fun since they very accurately simulated the feelings I get in my own nightmares, but they were still immensely satisfying and thrilling.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

pj wrote:To elaborate on (and sort of refute) JDNation's advice about the Nowhere-Apartment-Chase:
You don't need a walkthrough for this nightmare, you just need to keep your head. Think logically--yes, the developers want you to feel overwhelmed and confused and lost, but they also want you to complete the game, so its not impossible. They left breadcrumbs and clues all throughout the stage.

For instance: when you find yourself running through the same rooms over and over and over later on, KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR VISUAL CLUES. They're not expecting you to just try random doors until you happen to find the right route--they left you breadcrumbs. Look for details that differentiate doors from one another, indicating the correct path: overhead lights, murky ice buildup. Any detail that makes a door stick out from the rest is generally a clue that its the door you want.

I'm really not meaning to brag either, but the Nowhere-Apartment was one of the easiest mazes for me to navigate, because I just kept in mind the fact that they had to make it solvable. You really shouldn't need a walkthrough, and resorting to one will cheat you out of the most deliciously disorienting chase in the game
And Catch, I had a blast during the nightmares too. Well, I don't really know if you could call it fun since they very accurately simulated the feelings I get in my own nightmares, but they were still immensely satisfying and thrilling.
Hmmm didn't realize that... I really wasn't having that much fun with them. I'll certainly try replaying this sometime so I'll watch out for that! Forgive me... it's sort of hard to notice the little things when you're... oh... RUNNING FOR YOUR LIFE!!! :P

I tried it a bunch of times, but when I encountered the black screen bug, I just gave up...

Also it seems someone else suggests this advice:
"Another tip for the chase sequences is to look back with D-Pad down - when there's one of those things close behind Harry, he'll freak out and run a bit faster for the next couple seconds. Works even if his health is down and he's limping. It's a real life-saver in some situations."

Also tossing down things slows them down. I didn't do this to much as the wiimote motions weren't working out too well for me and the camera would get disoriented afterwards. Also shakign the nunchuck when climbing walls makes you climb faster. Turning off your flashlight also seems to help occasionally as the creatures don't spot you immediately. But you still need it to see your way around so you don't want to keep it off all the time. As for hiding I feel that's just a waste of time, never really found it to be that useful...
Rakoth
Just Passing Through

Post by Rakoth »

Hiding does have one benefit - From my experience, it 'heals' Harry. I slid under a bench or something while in the.. school, I think it was, possibly the mall, one or the other, with a limp; when I came out, limp was gone, natch.

Otherwise, yeah, if you're being tailed by more than one Raw Shock, hiding is kind of useless.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Rakoth wrote:Hiding does have one benefit - From my experience, it 'heals' Harry. I slid under a bench or something while in the.. school, I think it was, possibly the mall, one or the other, with a limp; when I came out, limp was gone, natch.

Otherwise, yeah, if you're being tailed by more than one Raw Shock, hiding is kind of useless.
Was it immediate? Because despite limping I kept running and if I manage to keep away Harry manages to 'heal' and run as he normally would, so I think it's just a period of recovery time, whether running or hiding.

But I'd recommend hiding just for fun. I tried it a bunch of times and it is pretty intense to watch the creatures run past you only to return and sniff at the air trying to get your scent and inevitably they find you and drag you out!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Hiding doesn't influence your healing rate; you naturally recover the longer you keep from getting attacked.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Ah, the flashlight! I never remember to turn that damn thing off in any of the silent Hills.
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

While I never had much trouble with these sequences, and sorta dashed through them without really consulting my map, there were a few things I remember that really helped in this section.
First of all, try to save your flare for when you'll really need it- like when you're limping badly. You only get one per section, so be selective with when you use it.
Secondly, one of the biggest things I noticed about the Nowhere chase was that every door that you were supposed to go to was different from the others in subtle ways. Generally speaking, most all the Nightmares were like this- the correct path was always slightly different from the rest of the paths.
Thirdly, if you think you took a wrong turn, then you probably did. Don't worry, you'll always end up near the correct path after you complete the loop. Hope this helps :)