Let's list the things that happened to Cheryl

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Slow White
Just Passing Through

Let's list the things that happened to Cheryl

Post by Slow White »

The various voice-mails, texts and memories shed a lot of light on the life of Cheryl Mason. To say that she has lived a pretty interesting life for such a young girl would be an understatement. So what all exactly did happen to Cheryl? I know there was some sort of affair with a teacher, possible prostitution and even stabbing a mall cop but what else?
Last edited by Slow White on 08 Jan 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Just curious--were the voice mails received in the high school (the couple promising to be together forever, the motivational speech given at graduation or prom or w/e) tied in with Cheryl or...? Because if so, I assumed those reflected Cheryl's pariah stance at school itself and she scornfully and mournfully listened in on these tidbits of talk, knowing they couldn't be applied to her or she would never feel them herself.

Nothing that really happened to her "per se," but it does shed light on other parts of her life.

Oh, and I also think she had to fend off a potential sexual assault.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

Krist. wrote:
Oh, and I also think she had to fend off a potential sexual assault.
I got the impression from my game that the person who assaulted her was
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
the boyfriend in the story later on - the one referring to his girl as "frigid" - i think he assaulted her, tried to get with her, whatever, she didn't like it - or he managed to go all the way and was unimpressed with her and dumped her - which would screw an already messed up girl up a lot more. This could possibly lead to prostitution (if she is 'pigtails') or turning to older men because they are safer (if she's sleeping with her professor).
that's just what i think tho, i am playing the game again to figure out more.

For the OP
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
- she was dumped shortly before/during/ or after the Prom.
- Her parents openly argued about her and how they felt about each other with her standing there or sitting where she could hear them.
Only some of my posts are serious.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Let's see, from what I understand:

- Harry and Dahlia fight a lot. This includes all four of the endings, in my opinion, along with Cheryl apparently wounding herself on their vacation to the Orion Lodge, requiring Cheryl to stay in the hospital.

- Harry kills, and replaces, Cheryl's dog. This may have kicked off the above, or have been the final straw that led to the divorce.

- Harry dies. Life spirals into Suck City.

- After this, the remaining Masons move out of their old home; Cheryl possibly tries to break into her old house and met the Stewarts.

- As a teenager, she attends a party as "the new girl." She's slipped some sort of drug and ends up going crazy and stripping off her clothes. She apparently witnessed a murder when the party got too out of control or something.

- Her boyfriend, Steve, tries to force himself on her atleast once, possibly more. They have a fight in Wonderland Burger, and they later break up.

- Apparently, Cheryl started sleeping with older guys at the nearby brothel, like the guy with a pigtails fetish. She also slept with atleast one of her teachers.

- Cheryl didn't seem like she got along well at school. I got a huge "not well liked" vibe and the girl was a few straws away from the Carrie treatment.

- Cheryl takes up shoplifting to alleviate her problems. Eventually Malcolm stops letting her go, and she wigs out and stabs him like a psycho bitch. She gets arrested.

- After that, Cheryl probably receives court-mandated therapy sessions. It doesn't work out, and Cheryl decides to pursue further help on her own, which brings us to Dr. K.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I got the impression that the girl in the forest died, not that she witnessed a murder. Of course, that would mean Cheryl was an observer in this, not the girl herself.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, Cheryl saw some girl get murdered, judging by the proximity of the Larval Stalker to the bloody pink coat and shit.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

- Harry kills, and replaces, Cheryl's dog. This may have kicked off the above, or have been the final straw that led to the divorce.
When did that happen? I always assumed he just bought her a dog that looked like the one that passed away :\
- As a teenager, she attends a party as "the new girl." She's slipped some sort of drug and ends up going crazy and stripping off her clothes. She apparently witnessed a murder when the party got too out of control or something.
In my playthroughs, the girl who was killed was killed from Getting Pushed of a Ledge, or Drowning.
- Apparently, Cheryl started sleeping with older guys at the nearby brothel, like the guy with a pigtails fetish. She also slept with at least one of her teachers.
The guy with the pigtails fetish? I thought that was a father talking to her daughter, and explaining that she doesn't need to remove her pigtails in order to fit in. ("Got your Lunch? Your school-whatever?") It sounds a lot like a father talking to her daughter, and Cheryl hearing the conversation, maybe getting jealous.
-ShatteredSilence-
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by -ShatteredSilence- »

When did that happen? I always assumed he just bought her a dog that looked like the one that passed away :\
In one of the Echo Photos it shows a dead dog behind a car, Harry hit and killed the dog on accident which is why he went and got one that looked almost exactly the same.
~The silence has now been broken~
-ShatteredSilence-
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by -ShatteredSilence- »

AuraTwilight wrote:Yea, Cheryl saw some girl get murdered, judging by the proximity of the Larval Stalker to the bloody pink coat and shit.
Larval Stalker?
~The silence has now been broken~
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

There's no need to double post. Use the EDIT button.

Also, I saw no indication of Cheryl stabbing anyone on my playthrough. In fact, in the evidence locker all there was to see were bags of a white powder and a walkie-talkie.
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

The evidence of Cheryl stabbing Malcolm in the mail can be found through Echo Photos and Messages. It varies, though. I remember that in my first playthrough, the guy who found Malcolm was pissed off by "the stupid girl". In the third he was just screaming "oh god no i think he's dead!!!!!!!!!!".
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

That's nice. I was just throwing in what I experienced in the echo photos and memories. The knife wasn't included.
soam108
Just Passing Through

Post by soam108 »

What about the bloody apron in the Burger joint? Along with the message "I can't believe he said that around ____, you know how close he was to his brother" Is that Cheryl related?
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

I think some of the Echoes are just random unrelated events, like the father forcing his son to shoot the deer and the person who commited sucide in the woods. I kind of like those, it adds to the overall creepy vibe over learning more about the town.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

In some echoes, Harry and one of his bitches hit a dog "Oh god, we hit a dog!" "....not just any dog..."
In my playthroughs, the girl who was killed was killed from Getting Pushed of a Ledge, or Drowning.
Right, I wasn't sure if it was a murder or not, but some girl died, and with Silent Hill, I assume murder until proven innocent.
The guy with the pigtails fetish? I thought that was a father talking to her daughter, and explaining that she doesn't need to remove her pigtails in order to fit in. ("Got your Lunch? Your school-whatever?") It sounds a lot like a father talking to her daughter, and Cheryl hearing the conversation, maybe getting jealous.
The guy with the pigtails girl is the same one in the brothel that slapped the woman wearing a pigtail wig because she "looked like his daughter." The thing with taking her to school might've been part of his roleplay fetish play.
Larval Stalker?
The black, Cheryl-shaped shadows that scream and run away from Harry.
Also, I saw no indication of Cheryl stabbing anyone on my playthrough. In fact, in the evidence locker all there was to see were bags of a white powder and a walkie-talkie.
The knife is in the bag if you look closely. For a while I couldn't see it either, but apparently the knife is obscured behind something white in the bag, like cotton balls or something.
What about the bloody apron in the Burger joint? Along with the message "I can't believe he said that around ____, you know how close he was to his brother" Is that Cheryl related?
The Choking Game was going on at her school, so it may have been something she witnessed. The kid who choked himself and Steve, Cheryl's boyfriend, seem to have the voice actor. I wonder if they're the same person.
I think some of the Echoes are just random unrelated events, like the father forcing his son to shoot the deer and the person who commited sucide in the woods. I kind of like those, it adds to the overall creepy vibe over learning more about the town.
Ditto, which is the main factor that pushes me to the "supernatural" theory.
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

-ShatteredSilence- wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Yea, Cheryl saw some girl get murdered, judging by the proximity of the Larval Stalker to the bloody pink coat and shit.
Larval Stalker?
See, my theory with that one is that the shed is (or represents) where Cheryl was sexually assaulted. The way Cheryl-Larval-Stalker flees the scene struck me as a metaphor for how unimaginably ashamed she is of the whole ordeal--she most certainly wouldn't want her father to see her like that, you know?

To me, the discarded jacket pretty clearly indicates sexual activity, especially when coupled with the sleeping bag found earlier. The way you take the key the wallet represents Cheryl feeling as if something had been stolen from her, which fits in perfectly with what I think the blood represents: its an exaggerated sign that the rape was probably Cheryl's first sexual encounter.

Also, if Cheryl lost her virginity to a rape, that would add some more context to her unhealthy relationships later.

I have a hard time thinking that someone was definitively killed, because the girl who dies in the messages doesn't always die. In my first two playthroughs she just went crazy and started running around--yet, last night I took the game over to my little brother's house, and in his version the girl drowned. The picture showed her face half frozen in ice.

So that death, at least, seems to be contextual to how you're playing the game. But I think that Cheryl being sexually assaulted is something that occurred regardless of how you play.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I agree with Aura's point about the supernatural theory.

Anyway. I may have to play again sometime to hear the forest Echoes again, but the way the "OHGOD I NEVER MEANT THIS TO HAPPEN!!!" sounded like a murder to me.
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

Yuki wrote:I agree with Aura's point about the supernatural theory.

Anyway. I may have to play again sometime to hear the forest Echoes again, but the way the "OHGOD I NEVER MEANT THIS TO HAPPEN!!!" sounded like a murder to me.
You may be referring to something I've missed, but there's also the little boy who drowned in the well in the forest. I remember a frantic "OH MY GOD" type echo about that, and it seems to occur no matter what.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I could've sworn that there's one echo that insists that they "never meant" for this to happen or for it to go this far or some such thing, and I could've sworn that it came from the stranded category. Could someone please confirm this? I really don't want to play the game a fifth time with my huge backlog of games...
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

The echoes change according to your playthrough. I have no idea of someone dying in the woods until I read it here -for me it was just a crazy girl who walked naked through all the party.