Sales predictions?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Does the SH series' fate rely on Shattered Memories' sales?

Yup, the series is screwed
18%
Yeah, and it'll be fine
30%
NO YOU'RE JUST PARANOID YOU STUPID FUCK
18%
applesauce
33%

Total votes: 33

KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Sales predictions?

Post by KoRn_Child »

On January 14th the NPD Group will release their sales data for the month of December 2009. Anybody want to take a guess at how Shattered Memories did?

Consider the below:

- 3rd party Wii games rarely sell well

- Mature rated Wii games rarely sell well

- Shattered Memories is an M-rated, 3rd-party Wii game that happened to receive next-to no marketing (outside of a few web banners).

- Yikes

Now normally, I wouldn't be all that interested in sales. The game is fantastic, and that's what ultimately matters. BUT... regardless of how you felt about Homecoming (I loved it), there's no denying that the game was a massive sales bomb. And in the current economic climate... with game development studios closing at an alarming rate... do you really think Konami will continue to pour money into the series if Shattered Memories bombs too? Konami could very well choose to shelve the franchise for a while... or end it altogether. Or they could limit future Silent Hill titles to low-budget shovelware (which is even worse, IMO). That's not to imply that a game has to be big-budget to be good (and I do consider SM to be a fairly big-budget game as far as Wii titles go), but in a franchise that relies so heavily on the atmosphere established by the visuals and audio, a miniscule budget is going to be a mighty big hurdle.

I dunno, most likely I'm just worrying over nothing. What do you guys (and gals) think? Are Shattered Memories' sales numbers as important to the franchise's future as I suspect? Regardless, I'm not expecting good things to come out of that sales report.

EDIT: Added a poll BECAUSE I COULD DAMMIT :P
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
DarkMatter
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DarkMatter »

I think I remember hearing somewhere that Shattered Memories has already outsold Homecoming so... if anything, at least it will do better than Homecoming did.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

CONFUCIOUS SAY

SILENT GAME MAKE BIG LOUD PROFIT
Droo

Post by Droo »

Wait, you're announcing Shattered Memories as a sales bomb before the numbers even come out?

Shattered Memories had marketing. It was advertised on the back/inside cover of essentially ever DC/Marvel comic book to come out in the last month. It also was enthusiastically received by many reviewer sites and also got a bunch of game awards from various sites.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Yeah, I am interested to see what those sales figures are. I hope for the best, because I want to see this kind of effort rewarded in the only way that matters.

I did my part, and depending on the reviews, I may do my part again on the PSP... maybe.

All that said, if things turn to the absolute worst scenario and this is the last game in the franchise, I can't think of a better note to end it on. It closes the circle and does it on an elegant note.
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

alone in the town wrote:CONFUCIOUS SAY

SILENT GAME MAKE BIG LOUD PROFIT
oh lol :P

i think SH will sell rather good (maybe not so on Wii, but with PSP and PS2, it will do very well )
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Im also looking forward to those figures and hope they will be fantastic as alot of work was put into the game and I hope to see the game turn out successful.

Though all the reasons stated in the first post in my opinion are valid reasons as to why the game may not be as successful as we hope. But I still hope for the best

Thats why I voted applesauce :mrgreen:
^^
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

I think the series is screwed..........Homecoming bombed. Origins bombed. Even SH 3 and 4 didnt light up the sales.......nothing to indicate that SM will do anything but bomb
RIP Silent Hills
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^Translation: Silent Hill 2 is a God's gift. :roll:

I don't know what to think about Shattered Memories. Who cares if the game sells like 1 billion copies or sell like 14 copies? I don't. Really, it won't change anything for me.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

They should have made a 360 and PS3 port. It would have taken longer, but the profits would have been testicle-numbing.

Oh, and maybe a commercial or two would've helped, Konami marketing department. You derps.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Catch22 wrote:They should have made a 360 and PS3 port. It would have taken longer, but the profits would have been testicle-numbing.

Oh, and maybe a commercial or two would've helped, Konami marketing department. You derps.
I agree with the commercials, but not necessarily about the ports. The costs for developing PS3 and 360 games are huge.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

Yuki wrote:
Catch22 wrote:They should have made a 360 and PS3 port. It would have taken longer, but the profits would have been testicle-numbing.

I agree with the commercials, but not necessarily about the ports. The costs for developing PS3 and 360 games are huge.
But... but I want to play SM on my 360... sniff... sniff...
Droo

Post by Droo »

Shattered Memories is going to benefit from Japanese release and good reviews/buzz. Homecoming had none of these.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

So does anyone have the sales in comparison with SH:H?
Or at least how much did this game make so far?
D@nte
Just Passing Through

Post by D@nte »

I did a web search the sale were under 50,000 for December. One thing I have noticed that's a little bit troubling is that Walmart is only stocking in there stores the Wii version even though the 2 ports are available.