What scared you about SM?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

KM
Just Passing Through

Post by KM »

Aw man. I was looking forward to exploring that area on my next playthrough.
LittleRed
Just Passing Through

Post by LittleRed »

Some freaky ass stuff behind the ice during the chase sequences.
Like, weird mathematical writing and DNA strands and stuff.

Wish I had more time to look behind the ice, but had to keep running from the monsters.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The lil's screaming shadows always scared me, they always got me off guard and almost made me drop my PSP... The "Door's Open" at art room was also creepy as hell... The "Nowhere section where you cross different rooms and they all take you to the same place and the upwards room (Maybe an homage of SH4?) were really brilliant... The swimming part where you see figures under the water was scary cause I was reaching the end and my head was jus spinning!! I was so confused like the old times when I played SH1 and 2!!

The nightmares were scary in my first playthrough (I was just running in circles and I always retirned to the beginning; it was insane!!) But after you learn the pattern the chases get old... The nightmares could be a lot better if you had to accomplish little missions like the paparazzi and the toucan puzzles... Also would be cool to change the answers of the puzzles in every new gameplay...

Anyway, more than scary this game has a really sad and oppresive atmosphere... When you start to find all the info about Cheryl's life and to see her sad face in the police photo... Man, I was scared of see how destroyed was her life (I know,she isn't real but I felt in that way anywhere)

Again Climax did a great job although it could be a lot better...

Oh yeah... When Harry was falling and Cheryl appears in front of him I was totally WTF!!??

The most scary was how accurate was my psychological profile in the end of the game...
Panzer_Kämpfer
Just Passing Through

Post by Panzer_Kämpfer »

The Larval Stalker at the hunting cabin in the woods. I thought it was an echo picture, so I kept trying to get closer to snap a good shot and my screen kept bugging out. Then it frikken screamed and scared the piss out of me!

The underwater car bit made me very uncomfortable, and the ugly-ass Raw Shock in the window didn't help matters.

I agree that the nightmares just get old. I was sort of hyped up by the first one for about three minutes. Then I realized that I'd somehow run in a circle and was just irritated thereafter.

I still really enjoyed the atmosphere, but it doesn't freak me out nearly as much as the earlier installments, and I'm a frikken pansy!
I always push the RED button.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

overachiever547 wrote:Larval Stalkers were so cute back in the first game. I hated how they'd activate my radio, but they were so harmless and did nothing but fall over. Adorable!
That's only at first, when you encounter them in the school. But later in Nowhere, they attack and can be killed.

As for Shattered Memories, I had some moments of panic (the chasing and the car sinking), and that was the closest to fear that I think I experienced. I managed to have some tense moments while exploring, too.

The shadows, or larval stalkers, really just got on my nerves.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's only at first, when you encounter them in the school. But later in Nowhere, they attack and can be killed.
No, they don't. What attacks you in Nowhere are those kids with knives, only invisible.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

^ Not invisible. They looked an awful lot like the larval stalkers, even though they sounded and acted like the grey children.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

yes lets argue about the larvel stalkers now :roll:
Cursed
Just Passing Through

Post by Cursed »

Nothing really scared me about the game. Pretty disappointing in that sense, for me. It was a alot of fun though.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

ww_andi wrote:yes lets argue about the larvel stalkers now
Who was arguing? :? We were discussing it pretty decently. It may not have been entirely on topic, but it's okay to briefly discuss little side points like that that come up.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

The fish. It looked like it was going to sing to me... I was like... PLZ FISH NO SING! And then he just threw up and I was alright.

But seriously... creepiest thing in the game would have to be Harry's own psychosis. On your first time through, when Dahlia appears instead of Michelle at the club, and everyone's freezing and Harry knows... well, nothing.... it had me freaked, like I was the one losing memories.

Also, the car scene as mentioned by many other.. I thought I was going to get a GAME OVER. forever.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

lol i was simply saying cause every little thing gets turned into an argument on this forum lol

What scared me was when my bro was playing the game and went into the cabin.

i yelled what the fuck

cause instead of the normal room i had seen three times it had a guted bear with xchains and such

i didn't know that much could change FREACKED ME THE FUCK OUT
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

The moment when I found Dahlia instead of Michelle sitting down at the bar for the first time scared the hell out of me!
Also Harry's house -the otherworld version- was quite frightening imo.
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

I wasn't that scared in general.

I felt tense during the nightmare chases (especially when being hidden) and near echo sources.

Also, some of the jump scares with that shadow got me. And the one with the raw shock in the sunken car.

But what truly scared THE CRAP out of me was the part inside the movie theater, when that freaky face popped up on screen. The worst part is, I didn't know how to make it go away, so I was going here and there trying to find a way out, forced to hear that creepy mumbling... :shock:

Seriously, I haven't been terrified like that for a long, long, long time.
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
Hesper
Just Passing Through

Post by Hesper »

I brought Shattered Memories over to a cousin's house to watch him play it because I generally prefer to watch somebody play a horror game before I dive into it. It's weird, I suppose lol.

Now, he doesn't care for horror games, but I managed to talk him into playing. It didn't take very long for us to realize the game wasn't going to scare us (despite us both being scared easily by horror games). We ended up having a great time playing, actually laughing through the time spent on it. Mind you, not laughing at the game, we loved it. I mean in the sense SM didn't put us on edge and could freely chuckle.

Was I anticipating being frightened by Shattered Memories? Of course. So far, most of the Silent Hills (haven't seen all of them) have given me at least a few good scares. But somehow, SM just didn't do it for me. I'm almost positive that we (my cousin and I) developed a sense of safety outside of the nightmares, and this led to most fear being drained immediately. The raw shocks became a nuisance, something to glare at every time we saw them rather than fear them. Stuff like that.

I still love SM, it's a great game. Although I do hope Climax will change up the scare factor a little bit next time. ^^; I don't want to develop that sense of safety with another Silent Hill. Doesn't feel right, or something.
[color=#E9539D]The doors began to open
There was an awful grinding of metal,
A clashing of loosened chains
And with the sky seeming to come down around us, it appeared:

The Asylum[/color]
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

There was nothing scary or atmospheric which was pretty disappointing. There are many factors that make Silent Hill what it is, not just the psychological aspects.
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I agree with Hesper, you feel too secure in the game, the only thing you fear is an otherworld transition and even in there you're often more annoyed by the Raw Shocks than scared of them, though those few moments when you look behind you only to see one close enough to be breathing down your neck can be pretty mortifying.
Travis wrote:But what truly scared THE CRAP out of me was the part inside the movie theater, when that freaky face popped up on screen. The worst part is, I didn't know how to make it go away, so I was going here and there trying to find a way out, forced to hear that creepy mumbling... :shock:

Seriously, I haven't been terrified like that for a long, long, long time.
I don't actually remember that... I remember being in the theatre with a movie I couldn't switch off but I seem to remember it just being Harry and Cheryl talking or something, perhaps this is different depending on psyche profile?
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

DistantJ wrote:perhaps this is different depending on psyche profile?
Yes.

Seriously though. This part makes the mirror room in SH3 or Eileen's giant head look laughable.
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I looked it up on YouTube and I actually remember seeing that bit, was it Harry and Cheryl by the car followed by Cheryl's face and some weird noises? It didn't really frighten me all that much, but it was cool.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
ico
Just Passing Through

Post by ico »

I played this game in dark, with my headphones on. I wasn't scared, nor disturbed by anything. Story wasn't that great either, but the city of Silent Hill itself was probably the best version yet. Overall, this is my second favorite SH game. (I really thought that this would have been even better game, without any monsters chasing player. Getting away from monsters was too easy and on second playthrough was no challenge at all.)