What scared you about SM?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I know of one Let's Player, SillyGooseInc, who says that he thinks the wheelchair sequence is the most fun he had in any videogame, ever.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

Probably the least creepy and/or disturbing of all the games.

I didn't really get that evil atmosphere, maybe because of the lack of the cult stuff.
KM
Just Passing Through

Post by KM »

Someone mentioned the music. I have to say that the music played a part in scaring me too. One particular time I can remember is in the woods, where I think you just come to the Orion cabin. I really liked the creepy woods music, but it's like once you step onto that property these drums with a tribal feel start beating... That made me stop and question whether I really wanted to go in or not, haha. (Like I had a choice.)

About the wheelchair (and swimming to the lighthouse): REALLY fun -- and hilarious to watch someone else do it :)
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

AuraTwilight wrote:Lol, as if the other monsters in the series didn't look like aliens.
see the funny thing is they really don't :P
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You haven't watched or read very much Sci-fi at all, then. Especially since a few monsters from the first few Silent Hills are deliberately based on famous science fiction books.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AuraTwilight wrote:I know of one Let's Player, SillyGooseInc, who says that he thinks the wheelchair sequence is the most fun he had in any videogame, ever.
I liked the wheelchair sequence, but I wanted to wait and see if the Raw Shocks would get me... and nope. =/ It made me much less nervous.
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

Yuki wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:I know of one Let's Player, SillyGooseInc, who says that he thinks the wheelchair sequence is the most fun he had in any videogame, ever.
I liked the wheelchair sequence, but I wanted to wait and see if the Raw Shocks would get me... and nope. =/ It made me much less nervous.
Ha, I didn't realize that. Its always made me feel so helpless and vulnerable that I just wheel my little ass like crazy (which I probably look when I'm doing it)
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

pj wrote:
Yuki wrote:
Ha, I didn't realize that. Its always made me feel so helpless and vulnerable that I just wheel my little ass like crazy (which I probably look when I'm doing it)
Yeah. It scared the crap out of me my first three playthroughs, but then I realized you can't actually steer the wheelchair (which made me think, "Wait... you can't get caught on an edge and have the Raw Shocks catch you... so do they even come?") and it kind of disappoints me that they don't even chase you from behind the ice.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

^ Yeah, the wheelchair bit made me far more nervous when I still believed that the Raw Shocks would come after me.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

Ha, shit, I didn't realize you weren't steering, either. I was totally acting like I was actually wheeling a damn wheelchair.

All of this just makes me love the wheelchair scene even more, though. If it can actually make me think I'm steering when I'm not, and make me feel like I'm gonna get my crippled ass caught when I'm not, then its the work of true, manipulative genius. Damn your brilliance, Climax!
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

I don't know whether the PSP version is easier than the Wii one, but I very rarely felt threatened by the Raw Shocks; they were too easy to avoid. The Nightmares were brilliant, intense, and surprisingly fun, but it was only when you looked back and saw them trying to nibble on your arse that I felt scared. No fuck scared, an overwhelming surge of panic. But that happened rarely. Bloody well designed, responsive controls. Bloody hell.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^I've played the psp one I'd say they're pretty much the exact same, except obviously wii has better graphics and controls.
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

^I've played the psp one I'd say they're pretty much the exact same, except obviously wii has better graphics and controls.
From watching various walkthroughs it seems that pressing a button is more efficient than waggling your arm around- did the motion controls not hold you back a bit?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

DirtyNorris wrote:
From watching various walkthroughs it seems that pressing a button is more efficient than waggling your arm around- did the motion controls not hold you back a bit?
I've not gotten a chance to try the PSP one yet, but I'm inclined to agree with him. I had very little problems with the motion controls. I had a slight problem rotating things occasionally, but once I figured out that flailing around to get the monsters off of you was the wrong thing to do, I was fine.
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

Fair enough then. :)
puppett
Just Passing Through

Post by puppett »

The first chase scenes frightened me some.
What really made me stop breathing was the fact that the seweres look some what like the sewers in SH3. Apart from the blood and monsters haha.
KM
Just Passing Through

Post by KM »

pj wrote:Ha, shit, I didn't realize you weren't steering, either. I was totally acting like I was actually wheeling a damn wheelchair.

All of this just makes me love the wheelchair scene even more, though. If it can actually make me think I'm steering when I'm not, and make me feel like I'm gonna get my crippled ass caught when I'm not, then its the work of true, manipulative genius. Damn your brilliance, Climax!
I could've sworn I steered the chair... I remember testing it out, only moving my left arm forward and making it turn right a bit.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

The echo of the hands grabbing out from under the bars in the sewers... just white hands, trapped in the middle of nowhere. Freaks me out.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

that wasn't the sewers mind you
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

KM wrote:
pj wrote:Ha, shit, I didn't realize you weren't steering, either. I was totally acting like I was actually wheeling a damn wheelchair.

I could've sworn I steered the chair... I remember testing it out, only moving my left arm forward and making it turn right a bit.
Nope. You can make it turn ever so slightly (pretty much just a camera angle if anything), but I tried to make Harry run into the sculpture in the hallway and couldn't.