What scared you about SM?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

KM
Just Passing Through

Post by KM »

Escapist wrote:I felt extremely disturbed in the cinema though, during my first playthrough. I turned off the flashlight and I got lost witihin the chairs and I couldn't find the exit line. You have no idea what is having to watch the face of a horrible woman while a weird voice says creppy things. I lasted there for like two minutes, and I remember only thinking "oh shit get me the fuck out of here please!!!".
The cinema got me bad. I wasn't even playing; I was watching my sister. I only thought it was mildly creepy when the first still/scene started playing with Harry and Cheryl because I kind of expected it. Then all of a sudden you take two steps further and that friggin face comes on, and the noise level increases drastically... my god. The longer we let it go, the more scared we got.

The second time through I listened to the creepy slowed-down voice... It was Harry's. "Cheryl? Sweetie?"

AHHHHHHH.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

I actually didn't see the woman's face at the theatre. It was Harry's, all covered in red.
thathotel
Just Passing Through

Post by thathotel »

I don't get it. I didn't feel scared playing the whole game. And the theater didn't scare me as much as I wanted it to.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

overachiever547 wrote:Larval Stalkers were so cute back in the first game. I hated how they'd activate my radio, but they were so harmless and did nothing but fall over. Adorable!

They're less so in SM. lol
They're more cuter in the original, too. The only times I jumped where when the raw shocks grabbed Harry through the doors, and the first nightmare sequence.
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

Catch22 wrote:I actually didn't see the woman's face at the theatre. It was Harry's, all covered in red.
In my first playthrough I got the woman, but in the last one I got Harry. I think it depends on the movie they're showing.

And, as I said, the game really never scared me. The game indeed was intense and disturbing in some parts, as I guess every Silent Hill game is supposed to be.

I mean... I don't see Silent Hill as a series of "Boooh!" and cheap scares (though it does have a really good ones *thinks about the corpse in the school's locker from SH1 >_>*) but as a series that tries and succes to make you feel disturbed. Making you think stuff "should I enter this room? should I go on? I really don't want to... what is that noise? Oh, god, is growing! Let me get out of here!".

Though the game wasn't as disturbing as I expected. :(
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

I think it was more creepy and eerie than scary, but it definitely had it's shock value moments.
KM
Just Passing Through

Post by KM »

Escapist wrote:I mean... I don't see Silent Hill as a series of "Boooh!" and cheap scares (though it does have a really good ones *thinks about the corpse in the school's locker from SH1 >_>*) but as a series that tries and succes to make you feel disturbed. Making you think stuff "should I enter this room? should I go on? I really don't want to... what is that noise? Oh, god, is growing! Let me get out of here!".

What you described qualifies as being scared in my book. I am usually always scared to enter new areas in SH games -- it's like daring entering dark alley after dark alley by yourself at night. Scary indeed.

On an even wussier note: Every time Harry's phone would do that sound effect and rumble for a message out of nowhere, I jumped a little. :(
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

KM wrote:
Escapist wrote:I mean... I don't see Silent Hill as a series of "Boooh!" and cheap scares (though it does have a really good ones *thinks about the corpse in the school's locker from SH1 >_>*) but as a series that tries and succes to make you feel disturbed. Making you think stuff "should I enter this room? should I go on? I really don't want to... what is that noise? Oh, god, is growing! Let me get out of here!".

What you described qualifies as being scared in my book. I am usually always scared to enter new areas in SH games -- it's like daring entering dark alley after dark alley by yourself at night. Scary indeed.

On an even wussier note: Every time Harry's phone would do that sound effect and rumble for a message out of nowhere, I jumped a little. :(
Yeah, those pop up messages kinda shocked me as well. I'm always used to making things happen in SH titles instead of them happening out of my control in-game or without warning (like the otherworld transitions, phone messages, calls, objects moving, etc.)

Also, in this game (and Homecoming) what really scared me was the fact that I noticed the monsters actually started to pursue you more directly than in the others.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Escapist wrote:
Catch22 wrote:I actually didn't see the woman's face at the theatre. It was Harry's, all covered in red.
In my first playthrough I got the woman, but in the last one I got Harry. I think it depends on the movie they're showing.

And, as I said, the game really never scared me. The game indeed was intense and disturbing in some parts, as I guess every Silent Hill game is supposed to be.

I mean... I don't see Silent Hill as a series of "Boooh!" and cheap scares (though it does have a really good ones *thinks about the corpse in the school's locker from SH1 >_>*) but as a series that tries and succes to make you feel disturbed. Making you think stuff "should I enter this room? should I go on? I really don't want to... what is that noise? Oh, god, is growing! Let me get out of here!".

I'm not so sure it depends on the movie playing. My memory's a little fuzzy, but I'm fairly sure I got the love movie four out of my five playthroughs, and two of those four times had the girl instead of Harry.

I personally like the oppressive atmosphere... but I think they should throw in some "BOO!" scares WITH that atmosphere.
aturtle
Just Passing Through

Post by aturtle »

The only thing that creeped me out was when you walk into one of the first buildings (one on the demo with the door lock) and theres a side hall with pipes and all over your head. If you stand there you can hear something moving around up in there. I wish SM had jutters besides little ghosts running around and flickering flashlights. If they had these jutters or they made you feel scared during the normal world I wouldn't have a complaint about the game. Also when the shocks grabbed you when your slowly opening a door jutted me a little.
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

It's easy to see that the reason some people are getting scared and some people aren't is because we are all different. there are outside factors to think about per person such as what's going on around you while you play and how the game effects you on a personal level.Take me for instance, When I play a game I usually become absorbed with what's going on in the game to the point that that if I am (For example) being chased by monsters then I'm gonna feel the effects of that pretty intensely. Where as on the other hand some people might be the type who don't connect as easily with what's on the screen and end up not being effected by things as much. Then of course there's the fact that a lot of us have played at least one or more horror games before SM and aren't as scared as easily as we used to be.
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
biohazard1775
Just Passing Through

Post by biohazard1775 »

The moment when you're trapped in the car in the water and the labyrinth.
mandrel87
Just Passing Through

Post by mandrel87 »

The only time I felt scared was looking up at the clock when I had finished and realizing I had wasted six hours of my life. :(
Daisukenojo
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Daisukenojo »

chase scenes only
[quote="Catch22"]Wait, wasn't the guy in the trailer wearing a shirt? You know who else wore a shirt? Hitler.

Hitler confirmed as SH6 protagonist.[/quote]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

mandrel87 wrote:The only time I felt scared was looking up at the clock when I had finished and realizing I had wasted six hours of my life. :(
Shit, that was uncalled for. Do you hate the game so much that you felt it was a waste of your time?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

I don't know if I really find any video game particularly "scary", but the older Silent Hills at least made me feel tense, with a bit of dread for what was coming, maybe a few startling moments here and there, and a haunting feeling that stuck with me even when I wasn't playing it... I guess if that's fear, then I did find the past games to be scary, but Shattered memories gave me none of these things. Easily the least scariest survival horror game I've played.
uninsomnia
Just Passing Through

Post by uninsomnia »

What scared me about SM is that Dr. K actually somehow got to be a licensed psychological practitioner. And that he kept/drank alcohol where he held his sessions. LOLWUT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No one ever noticed or complained because they were too mesmerized by his epic groin, obviously. The man is pure suave.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
angelwitch
Just Passing Through

Post by angelwitch »

I was scared to find that the game I love was turned into this [expletive].
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Did you even play the game, or are you just bitching?