WTF ending did I get? Major Confused... *ending spoilers*

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

WTF ending did I get? Major Confused... *ending spoilers*

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Heh, so yeah.
I just beat the game. It took me pretty much all day to do.

So I'm not gonna lie, I used the IGN guide and a walkthrough on youtube to help me complete the game after I got stuck somewhere in the middle. Look at how IGN describes the endings;

http://guides.ign.com/guides/14325473/page_31.html

WTF? Are you kidding me?
I read through all of those endings and I didn't get not one of those.
Here is the ending that I got...
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
So the psychiatrist is talking to what I thought the whole time was Harry, but no. They show the person he's talking to and it's "Cheryl." Grown up, she looks about 18 or so. The guy is going off saying that she created our player "Harry" to be her father which he never actually was. Harry comes out wearing a Hawaiian floral design shirt and he turned into ice.. Good god. I don't remember the whole thing but it blew my freaking mind.
So now I am sitting here confused, appalled and a bit angry.
For the record, I don't understand this game at all. The ending screwed it all up for me. I'll have to check around the forum now.

Oh and I have the PS2 version.
Slow White
Just Passing Through

Post by Slow White »

What happened after that? Because that depends on what ending you got. The part where Harry comes in is the prelude to the ending you get. Harry can not freeze, freeze or freeze and break.
Spong
Gravedigger

Post by Spong »

That's the ending I had first too. My understanding of it is that Harry died 18 years before the game starts and Cheryl, clinging on to her memories of him, created the Harry we play in the game.

Not too much to get your head around there really.
Slow White wrote:What happened after that? Because that depends on what ending you got. The part where Harry comes in is the prelude to the ending you get. Harry can not freeze, freeze or freeze and break.
That "prelude" as you call it can change as well. The second time I played I got the ending where Cheryl and Harry hug, and Cheryl calls Harry her hero. As for the video sequence after it, I've had the ending where Dahlia pussy-whips Harry and the ending where Harry is an alcoholic.
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

There are essentially two parts to the ending. The final encounter, which is what you described, and the video tape (in most cases). Did your screen just go to black after your encounter? Seems to be a glitch, happened to me once and only once. Try cleaning the disk off and trying again. You did not see a full ending if yours ended there.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Well okay I kind of remember now.
Sheesh, I had to take some asprin and a shower to clear my head of the frustrations of this game! Lol :roll:

'Cheryl' was going through a box of toys and I think it was a flash back memory which looked like 'Heather' but I guess I'll just say that it was 'Dahlia with blonde hair' slapping Harry, kinda of what you said yours was like. She slapped him and poor Harry looked miserable. I didn't understand it one bit. I thought 'Dahlia' was crazy, not that Harry was a drunk?

Gosh... screw this stressing over the game.

It makes absolutely no sense. Does the ending make sense to anyone? Seriously?
And did it piss anyone else off like it did to me? Lol
Ugh I'll feel better about it in the morning. I really did like it though, just a couple of holes.
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

What? Who's getting snappy with you? My game failed to show an ending once so I was letting you know that it is a possibility but seems extremely rare as it only happened once.

You got the Wicked and Weak ending. It was not a flashback but a video tape. Then, you saw Cheryl putting up "toys," which is a brief glimpse of how many mementos you got which influences your final encounter.

And yes I found the ending awful...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I found the endings heartrending. We see Cheryl's resolution of her delusion, whether positive or negative, and then we see, through the videotape, a facet of the truth that Cheryl has been running away from and only now lets herself acknowledge, like, for example, Harry sleeping with other women, being alcoholic, or being abused by Dahlia.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Oh, well that's good to know. No you weren't being snappy with me Filius.

Yeah Spog it's not hard to figure out, that's the obvious part that you stated.. I WAS just mostly confused on why the ending that I got was not listen on IGN but yeah, that is figured out now.
I was depending on IGN to be more descriptive about their endings. I'm going to write to them. Lol!
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

There are three parts, the psychiatrist's office with Harry, The old video tape, and Cheryl packing away (or not packing away) her things. It depends on what you get for the video tape.
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

angelofROOM302 wrote:Well okay I kind of remember now.
Sheesh, I had to take some asprin and a shower to clear my head of the frustrations of this game! Lol :roll:

'Cheryl' was going through a box of toys and I think it was a flash back memory which looked like 'Heather' but I guess I'll just say that it was 'Dahlia with blonde hair' slapping Harry, kinda of what you said yours was like. She slapped him and poor Harry looked miserable. I didn't understand it one bit. I thought 'Dahlia' was crazy, not that Harry was a drunk?

Gosh... screw this stressing over the game.

It makes absolutely no sense. Does the ending make sense to anyone? Seriously?
And did it piss anyone else off like it did to me? Lol
Ugh I'll feel better about it in the morning. I really did like it though, just a couple of holes.
The ending made plenty of sense to me, and I agree with Aura: I found it heartwrenching.

The way I see it, regardless of how you play, the story is about Cheryl dealing with the reality of who her father was and how dysfunctional her family life was--and the effects that it had on the rest of her life. But the way you play the game determines the man that the real Harry Mason was, and establishes the dynamic of the dysfunctional family life that Cheryl's trying to cope with.

For instance, my first play through I got "Love Lost," and Harry wasn't a drunk, Dahlia didn't abuse him, and there was no indication that he ever cheated. His marriage to Dahlia just didn't work out, and from everything I got out of the back story hints, he was just a normal dude without severe character flaws who went through a failing marriage. Hell, there was plenty of indication that Dahlia and Harry actually liked each other and made a lot of effort to work through their differences; in the tunnel of love in particular, they were really very sweet to each other.

Thus in my first game, the basis of the Masons' suffering seemed split between the three family members, and not specifically the result of a severe character flaw of Harry's.

I'm playing through it again now, shooting for the Drunk Dad ending, and now every echo message and hint I get points at Harry being a severe alcoholic. Soda cans in my first playthrough have been replaced with beer; On my first playthrough in the cabin on the woods, Dahlia complained about Harry but not in any specific way, whereas this time through she specifically complains about his drinking--and the fact that its getting worse now that they're at the cabin.

In my first game the real Harry wasn't a drunk, so Dahlia didn't complain about his drinking at the cabin. In this playthrough, I'm getting a different backstory due to the way I'm playing, so Harry was an alcoholic and Dahlia complains about his drinking. So I'm experiencing a different back story with a different Mason family.

In your version, Harry was a wuss and Dahlia was abusive, and that's because of how you played.

(Keep in mind there are different theories on this matter, though; Aura has one that you will probably want to consider)
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Well now I'm curious on how I played "wussy-like" :?
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

angelofROOM302 wrote:Well now I'm curious on how I played "wussy-like" :?
I'm not entirely sure because I haven't tried to get that ending, so this is purely speculation, but here's my thoughts:

On all the "look around" scenes (face to face conversations, the scene where you sit in Lisa's apartment and watch TV, etc) you typically have the option to look at people politely in the face, look at them inappropriately by focusing on their bodies, or scope out nearby alcohol.

My first time through the game I aimed the cursor right at everyone's face so I could watch their facial animation (and I listened to Lisa and watched TV when she told me to). I think this has a big effect on pushing you toward the "normal person" profile.

My guess is that being kind of "jitterish" in these scenes--for instance, looking around at everything instead of focusing on one thing in particular--pushes you towards the wussy profile.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I pretty much didn't move around when there was a look scene. I kept it in place, which showed the person's face. When Lisa was in her room changing I looked in the mirror. :oops:

But yeah, I didn't look around frantically or anything. So I am confused.. If the only time I did actually look at something, which was Lisa changing then I would at least thing I'd get a freaking ending or something. Lol, not being a wussy.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No one says you played "wussy-like." You get the Wicked and Weak ending by thing like being too slow, or cautious, I think. Things like not answering your phone when it rings and such.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

I got this ending and likewise have no idea why. I looked people in the face while they were speaking, wasn't jittery or looking around at all. I watched the conflict in the car; I would think looking away from it would give the wicked and weak ending. I answered every phone call very promptly and ran a lot.

I'm quite puzzled by it, but perhaps that's part of the point.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

^^
Pretty much same here.

Well if what you say is true Aura, I'm thinking that I might have gotten this one by standing still quite a bit while watching the walkthrough. I didn't use pause much since the game didn't have any major threats so that I'd have to pause. What do you mean by being too slow? My Harry ran through pretty much everything and breezed through puzzles. I bet the doodling that I did in Cybil's car went against me. Lol, it took me a while to get out of there. Well that's a sneaky little way on how to lure people into getting that ending... Kinda crappy that my playthrough considered "wicked" and "weak" just because of that. But oh well.

Wussy ending from IGN;
Wussy Ending
The videotape shows Harry in a bad argument with Mrs. Mason. According to this game, nice uxorious guys finish last, and then they die. For this ending, make decisions that reflect pure abstinence, extreme self-control, strong commitment, and total asexuality.
I did nothing that showed abstinence or 'asexuality.' :?
The game was so sex-centered for all the wrong reasons.
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

Was your final psych evaluation accurate? If there was a point of real discrepenancy it might give a hint of what you did to get the ending.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

No, mine was completely disaccurate and pissed me off.
Me being honest the whole time, apparently the asshole makes me seem like something is wrong with me! He went off saying that I NEED sex because I haven't been getting any. How does that make sense with anything at all that has to deal with the game? Nothing. That's the only part I really remember but none of the crap he said sounded like me. That psych evaluation was crap.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

angelofROOM302 wrote:No, mine was completely disaccurate and pissed me off.
Me being honest the whole time, apparently the asshole makes me seem like something is wrong with me! He went off saying that I NEED sex because I haven't been getting any. How does that make sense with anything at all that has to deal with the game? Nothing. That's the only part I really remember but none of the crap he said sounded like me. That psych evaluation was crap.
Well, he always says that "you haven't been getting any", because he's saying that to Cheryl, not to the individual player.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

^Ah, I hadn't realized that yet. I raised my eyebrow some at that part, thinking, "Just because I didn't find those symbols to be sexual, he presumes I don't have sex?"