Underwater Car Significance? (spoilers, duh)

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

0o0SiLeNtKiLL0o0
Just Passing Through

Underwater Car Significance? (spoilers, duh)

Post by 0o0SiLeNtKiLL0o0 »

I just thought of this,

Could the underwater car scene mean something more? I was thinking it symbolized Cheryl, especially the writing on the windows. Things like, "Stop fighting it" or something could represent her not facing
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Harry's death.
Also with the "It will be over soon" representing her psycology meetings with Dr. K, and the "So cold" could go with her being alone in her mind. And then comes the whole scene: the drowning. She was possibly "drowning" in her life, then surfaced after accepting
again, Harry's death
Sorry if I was hard to understand, thoughts?
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

I think it's definitely an interesting interpretation... though I took it to refer to Harry's "death" if he drowns, because at that point you're supposed to still think you're Harry himself rather than playing as Cheryl in a delusion.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

You know, I did wonder at first whether or not making it out of the car affected which ending you got. In other words, if you knew what to do but just didn't, would it give Harry "weak" points for not being more of a survivalist or something.

I no longer find this to be the case though, after trying to let him drown on purpose. I'm not kidding, it took ages for him to drown. It was obvious that the game gave you some leeway and time to try and figure it out before just offing you. So yeah.

Anyway, I agree with pretty much everything in the first post, as well. I got those vibes, too.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

Oh, so it is actually possible to drown in that scene? I took a long time trying to get out (didn't see the flashlight for a while for some reason), and judging by how the water didn't rise after it reached almost the bottom of the window, I didn't think it went up anymore. I was kind of disappointed by the lack of realism there, but for some reason the fact that you can drown, despite the fact that it takes so long, makes me feel a bit better about it.

Having more to do with the questions you're asking:
After reading through some of the other topics in this form, I've taken to believe that those messages do have a lot to do with Cheryl's subconscious trying to get Harry to give up, similar to the way the Raw Shocks are (presumably) manifestations of her subconscious, trying to prevent Harry/Cheryl from realizing the truth about him and his death.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

judging by how the water didn't rise after it reached almost the bottom of the window, I didn't think it went up anymore. I was kind of disappointed by the lack of realism there
....Er...that's how it works in real life. Cars don't fill up THAT fast, because there's nowhere for the air to escape.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

I took it all to represent denial--that is, succumbing to the delusion that Harry is still alive. Notice that this scene takes place just before Cheryl's revelation.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Catch22 wrote:I took it all to represent denial--that is, succumbing to the delusion that Harry is still alive. Notice that this scene takes place just before Cheryl's revelation.
I wouldn't exactly say just before Cheryl's revelation; this is about halfway through the game. We still have the Hospital, House, and Boat chases before we reach the realization that Harry is not Harry.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

lol cascade i know what you mean. for me i drowning so quickly i couldn't figure it out but with my friend it sat there and seemed to literally stop and let him figure it so maybe
WolfSiberia
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by WolfSiberia »

My guess that its actually the 'old' and real Dahlia looking back at her past, after dropping off Cheryl at the Lighthouse. She has a breakdown, after thinking of her deceased husband.

(By breakdown, I mean sobbing a looooot)

....Course, that has NOTHING to do with Cheryl's delusion. But it is an interesting theory.
November 30, 2009 - R.I.P. Akira Yamaoka's career. Goodnight Sweet Prince.
[spoiler]Its mentioned in the play novel that Heather's birthday is April 20th...
Which is my birthday, weed day, and Hitler's birthday.[/spoiler]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wait, you mean you think that Old Dahlia is Real Dahlia's manifestation? Interesting.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

Yuki wrote:
Catch22 wrote:I took it all to represent denial--that is, succumbing to the delusion that Harry is still alive. Notice that this scene takes place just before Cheryl's revelation.
I wouldn't exactly say just before Cheryl's revelation; this is about halfway through the game. We still have the Hospital, House, and Boat chases before we reach the realization that Harry is not Harry.
Oops, I got it totally wrong there. Disregard me. Disregard!
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

AuraTwilight wrote:Wait, you mean you think that Old Dahlia is Real Dahlia's manifestation? Interesting.
Interesting. But, how would that fit in with the whole game being in Cheryl's mind?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
JamesisBetterThanHarry22
Just Passing Through

Post by JamesisBetterThanHarry22 »

I was expecting James Sunderlands' car to pop up during that scene.
Come Murphy. The town awaits you.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That would've been a fucking awesome reference.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AuraTwilight wrote:I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
It's possible that could lend more support to the supernatural!Silent Hill theory. Remember how some of Angela's stuff was in James' nightmare?

Though I'm still inclined to think she's the monstrosity of Dahlia rather than real!Dahlia's manifestation. Otherwise the lines about "Your mother isn't a monster" make little sense.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Ditto. And it also makes the resemblance between the two Dahlias pretty random.