Meaning Of The Screaming Shadows?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

JiGoKuShOuJiN
Just Passing Through

Meaning Of The Screaming Shadows?

Post by JiGoKuShOuJiN »

Can anyone tell me what these shadows mean?
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

I'm thinking that those shadows, or "Larval Stalkers", are manifestations of Cheryl's anger/sorrow/despair.

They seem to appear at the school a lot.
Lot's of bad stuff happened to her there; :|
Which gave me this impression.
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

My interpretation is similar to Restoration's.

They hang out in areas that represent traumatic experiences for Cheryl. Whenever you find one, its usually crying and curled up--and, until you approach it, it seems completely absorbed in itself and unaware of Harry. When it does finally notice you, it flees as if its ashamed.

I think the places and scenes where you discover the larval stalkers symbolize episodes in her life that caused Cheryl great suffering, and that she constantly dwells and obsesses over.
Light Alessa
Just Passing Through

Post by Light Alessa »

They kinda remind me of SH the movie in a sense, of Dark Alessa, always in places which were bad for alessa. But yeah, The above is correct, If i see one during the game i know im on the right track :)
[quote] I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill 8 can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.[/quote]

Put this In Your Sig If you agree :)
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

I believe that the teacher that Cheryl had a relationship with was the Chemistry teacher,
because of the Larval Stalker there.

Does anyone think so, too?
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, that would make sense. Also, the room where you catch her with the teacher in the photo part, I think correlates to the chemistry lab in the normal world.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

AuraTwilight wrote:Yea, that would make sense. Also, the room where you catch her with the teacher in the photo part, I think correlates to the chemistry lab in the normal world.
Are you referring to the school's Otherworld paparazzi thing?
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yes.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

I just saw it as Cheryl running away from her past, and being scared of her father finding out about it.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

They remind me of Jung's Shadow Theory. People's "shadows" house repressed feelings of inferiority, guilt, hatred, fear, and the like. Most importantly, shadows can house repressed memories.

Shadows are said to appear in dreams or visions as darker, same-gendered versions of the person, with possibly distorted features.

Given the Psychology-centric aspect of the game, this sort of makes sense.
The Fame
Just Passing Through

Post by The Fame »

The Larval Stalkers were so cute in the first one! All they did was run around a little and fall over, so adorable! :wink:

Anyway, I think the Larval Stalker in SM represent Cheryl running away from things she didn't want her father to find out about, like DirtyNorris said.
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

Personally, I think that these Larval Stalkers have a LOT more meaning to them.
It's just difficult to make them out...
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

While what's been discussed so far about Cheryl's shades are probably true, I also think that each one running away from Harry not only shows how ashamed about her father finding out might be, but also an attempt to keep him from finding his way to her.

Remember, if all works out, Harry will find her and she will have to face the fact her vision of her father isn't true. :(
Shattered
Just Passing Through

Post by Shattered »

I figured that it was for two reasons:

(1) To show you that Cheryl is going along with Harry on the journey.

(2) To represent the fear that Cheryl had of Harry's progress.

But I like the theory that (3) also:

(3) To show areas where Cheryl was particularly traumatized
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

About the "Tunnel of Love", I wonder what happened there?
There were 3 larvel stalkers there... Can anyone make a guess what happened there?
Not Gonna Get Me
Gravedigger

Post by Not Gonna Get Me »

It seems that it was the last time she saw her parents together at least somewhat happily. Dunno what voice messages you get on various playthroughs, but I got 2 versions, don't quite remember the second one, but on the first one Harry and Dahlia were remembering the old time when they were in love, then Cheryl dropped in and saying that she is sorry that she ruined Harry and Dahlia's "happy time".

God I want to play the game again! Sadly, I don't have it at the moment :(

Edit: Although I am wondering what happened in the forest? Is she traumatised because of the party that you hear about through the voicemails?
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

I think Cheryl got drugged at the forest, and got hurt etc. etc.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

I didn't go crazy and try to listen to all the voicemails, but I do remember a party in the woods which I believe Cheryl was at. She sounded sick, and wanted to leave. I can't remember for sure.

And those shadow Cheryls?... sub-conscious reminders o the storyteller of the truth They're, what I would suggest, trying to keep Harry from adancing so that in the end, Cheryl won't have to deal with the truth.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Shattered
Just Passing Through

Post by Shattered »

Restoration01 wrote:About the "Tunnel of Love", I wonder what happened there?
There were 3 larvel stalkers there... Can anyone make a guess what happened there?
I thought that it wasn't three but one that moved from one place to another as you chased it... was it actually three different ones?
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

^You're right, it was the same shadow running from spot to spot.