PSP or PS2 version?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Which is better?

Playstation Portable
61%
Playstation 2
39%

Total votes: 23

Chrysaor
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Chrysaor »

DistantJ wrote:I don't plan to get myself a PSP Go, just because it cuts out the option of buying used or trading in. Is there much difference between LittleBigPlanet on PSP and the PS3 version? I recently got it for the PS3 and I love it to bits but I dunno if I'd buy another version unless it was quite different. I kinda feel that way about Soul Calibur as well, like I don't think I'd get the PSP game if I can get SC4 for the PS3. Some of the ones you mentioned sound good though, and I think a few of the games I used to play on the Wii and PS2 might be available on it...
LittleBigPlanet for PSP has the same general idea as it's PS3 counterpart. Some of it has been simplified (there are only two planes instead of three, and the level editor has a bit of missing functionality), some of it has been improved (the controls and physics are much easier to get a grasp on than the PS3 version, and infinite lives are a definite plus), but most importantly, nearly all of the content is unique to the PSP version. There is nearly nothing that has been rehashed, aside from some Sackboy outfits. All of the levels, stickers and objects you can find are PSP exclusive. And you'll be able to take the (second) best platformer ever made anywhere you wish.

If I had to choose between Soul Calibur IV and Broken Destiny, I would definitely choose Broken Destiny. Not only does it have some of the best graphics I've ever seen on a portable system, it definitely caters to the more hardcore Soul Calibur players. It sacrifices the story mode, but in it's place it gives you the most in-depth training mode I've ever seen in a fighting game. Even if you've been playing the series since Soul Blade, it will definitely turn you into a better player. It even has Kratos from God of War as a playable character, as well as a new original character, Dampierre. The character roster has been rebalanced a bit from IV, and it even has the character customization from IV completely intact, with new unlockable costume pieces to boot. And again, there's always the argument that you can take it anywhere. The only thing it's sorely lacking is an infrastructure online mode, but the net code for Soul Calibur IV is horrible anyway, so it's not like you're really giving anything up.

I'd stay far away from any direct ports, unless you know that they were built specifically for the PSP, or that they could work with one analog stick and only two shoulder buttons. Shooters tend to be pretty horrible on the PSP (Syphon Filter is a great exception to this rule, and I'm surprised more games don't emulate it's control scheme).

I've clocked literally hundreds of hours individually into Final Fantasy Tactics, Dissidia, Disgaea, and Phantasy Star Portable. Since most games of the current generation don't tend to last over 20 or so, I'd take my PSP over my 360 anyday.

Sorry for dragging this a bit off topic.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Thanks for all of your information. LittleBigPlanet portable sounds like a good investment, but I think I'll be getting the PS3 version of Soul Calibur if any, because I'm much more of a casual gamer and I have a hard time with hardcore stuff. I will put the PSP on my future wishlist and hold out on Shattered Memories until I get one. Thanks again.

Now I'll let people go back on topic. XD
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

DistantJ! How you've been man? :)

Chrysaor wrote:You cannot strafe in the PSP version, but it does tend to make the chase scenes more intense and claustrophobic. Instead, you turn Harry by pressing left or right on the nub. The flashlight is confined to pointing wherever you're facing, but it has a wider radius to make up for it. You can still zoom in with the right bumper, and you have control of your flashlight there, but no movement. Left bumper looks behind you. You hold square to run. X opens doors and prompts climbing and crawling, unless you're running (Then you go straight through them), and you can tap x to climb over walls and under spaces faster. Circle opens your phone, and it's still got every single bit of functionality it had in the Wii version. I am kind of disappointed by the implementation of the puzzles, as they are all a cheap imitation of using the Wiimote (you use the analog stick to move a cursor). There is one major plus to the controls of the PSP version. When a Raw Shock latches onto you, it is much easier to get them off than having to waggle the controller in a certain direction, as you only have to push the face button that corresponds with where they're holding you (Triangle for front, X for back, Square for left side, Circle for right side).
This is very good information. Thanks dude. :wink:

Do you happen to know if the PS2 controls work the same way?
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
Chrysaor
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Chrysaor »

Travis wrote:Do you happen to know if the PS2 controls work the same way?
I'd assume that they'd be similar, but since the PS2 has a second analog stick, you can probably use it to control the flashlight, and I'd imagine that you can strafe (Probably using L2 and R2). I can't be totally sure, as I haven't played the PS2 version, but if they didn't implement these features, I'd be sorely disappointed.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Well, I imagine the PS2 version will probably control in the same way as Homecoming did, with strafing on the left stick and flashlight/turning on the right stick.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Psp version FTW
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

According to the IGN PS2 review, the flashlight is controlled by the right analogue stick. This alone makes me want to purchase the PS2 port as well.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I think the Wii version's going to be the best by far, but I dunno if the other games on the Wii would appeal to the people here enough to warrant buying one (though it actually has more horror games than either of the other consoles).
Travis

We have a winner, ladies and gents!

Post by Travis »

Whitney was right!

PSP
PS2 (where the hell is the monster?)

PSP it is then.
(However, I'm thinking of getting the PS2 version too sometime...)
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Can I just get this clear - if I get a PSP Slim, I can play this on my TV?

Or would I be better to just get a PS2 and save money anyway?
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Yeah, you can plug the PSP slim in your TV and play there
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

PS2 however is much cheaper and allows me to re-experience Silent Hill 2... Quite a tough decision, heh!
Travis

Post by Travis »

Well, make up your mind quickly, 'cause YOU MUST PLAY THIS GAME!
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

To be honest I have plenty to play at the moment and I'm a busy guy, so I'm probably going to leave it for a while... I have been hearing rumours of PS3 getting PS2 compatibility through firmware updates sometime so I'll hold out in case we hear anything about that in the next few weeks otherwise I'll grab me an old PS2 or something.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

So I gave in in the end, I bought myself the Wii version and borrowed my Mum's Nintendo. :D
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Wii Version=Best Version
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Yeah, I figured it would be since it's how it was designed. So far I'm actually surprised by how good it is. I mean I knew the story was going to be cool but I thought I'd feel totally safe wandering around Silent Hill and frustrated during the chases, but the fact that the little 'clues' you find can also be an otherworld transition makes me scared every time I go near to a clue, and the chases actually frighten me more than I ever imagined they would, especially what the game's been doing to the monster designs with my psyche profile. Kick ass!