About the otherworlds (spoilers) Updated

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

About the otherworlds (spoilers) Updated

Post by ashatteredmemory »

During the game, you encounter the otherworld many times, each more horrifying than the last (or maybe). But something struck me as a ran through them: The force of the otherworld.

The first otherworld encounter looked devastating, happening in front of your eyes, but was it really that strong? Sure, it managed to break lightpoles and such, but that was about it, most cars, buildings, etc mostly get frozen over, and that's about it, everything is more or less intact.

The second otherworld, at the woods, looks a lot more devastating already. Some parts of buildings get destroyed, strange elevations create themselves, trees turn dead, and even a plane crashed in the woods.

The third otherworld is far more destructive: Parts of the school gets razed, a massive hole appears in the football field, ... But still it can get stronger...

The otherwordly Hospital is the first to get a little crazy: The trains are literaly thrown of their tracks, right into the building itself. However, the otherworld didn't really "try to destroy" the hospital, it was still quite intact.

The fifth otherworld is probably the most devastating one of all the otherworlds: When you leave Nightingale Appartements in "normal world", take a picture of the small alley in front of you. Take a picture of the same alley in the otherworld, and compare bot pictures.
The otherworld has created its own appartement blocks on top of the original buildings. But even them don't look natural, they look crooked, out of place, disfigured. In fact, even Nightingale Appartements themselves have become a strange tower of blocks put on top of eachother.
The mall itself has got its share of destruction. Stairs disappearing not in ice, but even in concrete itself, leaving only a misformed metal bar sinking into it. Ontop of the roof, you can get a clear view of the surroundings. Everywhere you look are either Ice Blocks or disfigured towers of concrete and metal...
But even that isn't enough. The otherworld is even twisting reality: at many occasions, floor tiles seem to want to fly up, but just get stuck in thin air. This is very clear just outside the entrance (with the gumball machine), where you can even see floor tiles hanging just above you...

Ofcourse, bending reality is fully viewed in "Nowhere". This place isn't even destroyed anymore, it just has become another world, i don't have to explain this one.

But the last otherworld does nothing in particular: it stops the boat, and freezes the lake...

But why would each otherworld seem so different from the last?
It all ties to Cheryl and her experiences with that particular place.
First Otherworld: West Silent Hill, Cheryl doesn't have that much memories with those places, and doesn't really resent it in any way, thus only affecting it minorly.

Second otherworld: throughout the woods, we hear things about a girl at a party ,in my opinion isn't Cheryl, but is probably a good friend of hers, who gets molested, and so she has a certain resent against the place. However, once you solve the puzzle in this otherworld, it starts to look much more devastating, probably because of the fact that her own bad memories of the place have surfaced -> plain crash, destroyed buildings...

Third otherworld: School, i don't think this one needs much explaining. Cheryl was probably teased at her school, and on top of that, she was photographed in close relationship with her teacher...

Fourth otherworld: Cheryl got in the Hospital for some reason (which i didn't already found out, but going by the "Drunk routine", it was probably caused by Harry himself). However, she didn't have that bad memories about the place, thus keeping quite intact, despite those trains...

Fifth otherworld: Cheryl had her share of time in the mall, shoplifting. However, she gets spotted by a guard many times. The guard actually felt sorry for her, but she didn't know. At a certain moment, the guard confronted her, and in some blind rage, she killed him. She probably tries to block this memory as much as possible, probably causing the mall to be encased with walls of buildings and concrete...

Sixth otherworld: this one does needs just a little explanation. As it is her own home, she can't just destroy it, but she has to prevent Harry to find out the truth. She alters her own home into an unreal place, but even there the truth gets through (the pictures of Harry after the crash). She created a strange hellish place, but that is also how she feels in her own house, depressed...

last otherworld: The lake never hurt Cheryl... but still, in a desperate act of stopping the truth, it gets frozen over...

UPDATE: In almost every otherworld, we need to solve a puzzle, i think those puzzles are the key for Dr. Kauffman to delve into Cheryl's mind:
The first otherworld is a blockage from Cheryl so Kauffman doesn't know about her old home. This however was fairly easy to uncover.
In the second one, Dr. Kauffman wanted to know what happened in the forest cabin, this however was blocked, but with a simple child's toy, he could find what happened in those logs.
The third otherworld is a very obvious attempt of Kauffman who wants to know what really happened at Midwich High School, and it's as if Harry forces her to tell by taking the pictures.
In the hospital, Kauffman finds out Cheryl has an elektracomplex, but Cheryl tries to keep it a secret, but Kauffman still found it.
In the Mall, Cheryl's horrible murder is kept, and thus Cheryl blocks it with the otherworld. Kauffman wants to find out what happened, and seeks a passage through her child memories: Tookie the Toucan.
Her house is an obvious block by Cheryl so Kauffman can't find her room.
And The Lighthouse is still the last attempt of Kauffman to force her to find out...
Last edited by ashatteredmemory on 30 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

As the game progressses, Cheryl's delusion comes apart more and more each time, so when the Otherworld comes around, her fantasy world freezes and BREAKS, more incredibly each time, until the very end where there is literally nothing left in the world but ice and an infinite blackness.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

although we are entitled to our own theories
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Very, very interesting. I agree with both of your theories.
MapDark
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MapDark »

I agree that the mall otherworld is insane!

WHen I came out of Nightingale apartments I was like :
"WHOA! Did these building grow twice their size or is it just me?!"
Heather Mason , the only girl who will face deadly danger
by going to the mall for hair bleach !!

[img]http://furnation.com/mapdark/maplick.gif[/img]
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

Update my theory
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

love this theory. and besing so unimaginitive as i am ill stick with it as my way of looking at the story. :P
love how deep this game is.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.