Just finished it, my thoughts and questions.

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

AnastasisXD
Hope House Careworker

Just finished it, my thoughts and questions.

Post by AnastasisXD »

so, i thought the game would be average, but god, it turned out to be fascinating! it was boring at first, but then the story started to make sense. the gameplay itself was good, different, but it was the story that made the game so great. it is not as good as the 4 first games, but it comes close after them.

however, i am a bit confused. about cheryl and harry.
i got that harry is just an image that his daughter creates. and the fact that we use cheryl when we answer to dr. K, makes me believe that the real protagonist in SM is cheryl. am i correct?

moreover, i didnt see any connection with the cult, or religion or whatever. so the game is just about cheryl's disturbed psychology?

im really sorry if those have been discused before. if so, please provide me with a link :)
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Here is the link to the Review thread;

http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20010
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

He's not reviewing the game, Angel.
however, i am a bit confused. about cheryl and harry.
i got that harry is just an image that his daughter creates. and the fact that we use cheryl when we answer to dr. K, makes me believe that the real protagonist in SM is cheryl. am i correct?
Basically. Harry was a figure like Maria from SH2, and everything Harry experienced was inside an imaginary sort of Otherworld. He didn't meet any real people or anything.
moreover, i didnt see any connection with the cult, or religion or whatever. so the game is just about cheryl's disturbed psychology?
Yes. Remember, Shattered Memories is an alternate universe, so the cult isn't even present.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
AnastasisXD
Hope House Careworker

Post by AnastasisXD »

oh ok, thanks for answering =]
Venoid
Just Passing Through

Post by Venoid »

Personally I think the series is better when its not trying to cling to its weird cult main story.

For me, the cult plotline seemed like a desperate attempt to differentiate the series from Resident Evil, Capcom have zombies so Konami go demons.

The fascinating thing with the series has always been with how the city works, which has always come across as mostly independant to the various lame duck bad guys that are trying to resurrect satan.

The idea of people going into a nightmare version of the world where things twist to their perception is cool and makes the place scary. The latest person who ventured to near to a place that looks like it houses a few thousand people but in fact only has a handful of random cultists that noone else in the world finds weird comes across as rather dumb.
JiGoKuShOuJiN
Just Passing Through

Post by JiGoKuShOuJiN »

Harry didn't meet any real people? How about the effects of his actions: Lisa dying, Cybil handing over/or not her badge? Who knows, Harry might even be the reason why John and Michelle broke up.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

All of that was part of Cheryl's deluded narrative. None of those people were real, either.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

alone in the town wrote:All of that was part of Cheryl's deluded narrative. None of those people were real, either.
This. There are some theories that contend that everyone was real, but most evidence points to everyone Harry physically meets being constructs.