Your thoughts compared to the other games

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

simeonalo wrote:
Yuki wrote:
Yes, I already knew they were in a box. However, the game doesn't hint at any real meanings for many of them.
http://shshatteredmemories.com/mementos/
Whitney is such an angel for making that website.
I fully agree. I hadn't realized she put up interpretations of the mementos as well; I was just going to use it as a reference!
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

I partly agree with like everyone in this thread :P I enjoyed the game while playing it for the first time, but when I went back to play it a second time it just felt empty and really dull, mainly due to the tiresome gameplay and lack of interesting locales (in my opinion).

The ice otherworld, while obviously having a meaning, I felt was a let down. It wasn't scary nor was it interesting to look at, and it was the same with the monsters.

The ending was pretty predictable, though it was well executed. Strangely the parts I most looked forward to were the Dr K. test sequences, simply because they were the only 'real' gameplay aspects in the game.

As someone else mentioned, all of the side information provided in this game just kind of felt like an after thought to me, and if like people suggest; all of the information provided is solely about Cheryl, it makes it less interesting for me personally because I found it hard to connect with her character due to not even seeing her until the end of the game.

Which was also a negative point for me, I spent the whole game playing as Harry and trying to connect to him, and then they just switched it around, which was a 'clever' twist, but just didn't have any meaningful or entertaining impact for me.

Again, I enjoyed the game, but I simply don't think it should have A) been a Silent Hill game and B) gone anywhere near the characters from Silent Hill 1.

Again as someone else mentioned, I'd like to see Double Helix tackle another game in the series to see what they could come out with after their Homecoming experience.

As a final thought, if Climax does make the next game, I'd like to see it on a 'next-gen' console so that they don't have any technical limitations to make the gameplay and environments great and interesting to look at, and so that they don't have to make sure they use the Wiimote gimmick for puzzles. Since these were the things holding the experience back for me.

Also I'd like the next game be a new story to add to the series (Silent Hill 6) and not go anywhere near Silent Hill 1 like they have twice now (prequel and re-imagining).
My supply fell through...
Roorii
Just Passing Through

Post by Roorii »

Martee wrote:As a final thought, if Climax does make the next game, I'd like to see it on a 'next-gen' console so that they don't have any technical limitations to make the gameplay and environments great and interesting to look at, and so that they don't have to make sure they use the Wiimote gimmick for puzzles. Since these were the things holding the experience back for me.
Wow, I don't think I've disagree'd with anybody more on this forum yet.
As far as Wii titles go, Shattered Memories' environments were pretty astounding, and had a lot of love and care put into them. I didn't get a Silent Hill vibe from then, but I could definitely appreciate the detail put into these areas. This also (especially) applies to characters, who who beautifully designed, and really got their characters across with the impressive animation. The facial expressions and emotions were realistic, and very convincing. This title looks a lot more polished than a lot of PS3 and 360 titles we've seen (and as far as characters go, almost as good as the guroriousu nippon originarus).
[ [b][url=http://roorii.deviantart.com/]DeviantART[/url][/b] | [b][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/RoryMcHugo/]Youtube[/url][/b] ]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I would prefer it on HD systems, partly because I own one, but also because as great as Silent Hill looked on the Wii (or any other Wii game might look), I miss high definition whenever I play on it, those blocky edges and stuff are really hard to ignore when you're used to Blu Ray movies and PS3. I mean also I know Shattered Memories looked good for a Wii game, but imagine how it'd look if we didn't have to add "for a Wii game" on the end of that sentence like it's an excuse... Could you imagine the game with shimmering, multi-layer ice textures, which you could see your own reflection in? Imagine how good those ice-world transitions could look...
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

Yuki wrote:
simeonalo wrote:
Whitney is such an angel for making that website.
I fully agree. I hadn't realized she put up interpretations of the mementos as well; I was just going to use it as a reference!
Aw thanks guys :)
My Websites!
Image Image Image
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

YOUR SITE IS THE BITCH KITTIES. I GO THERE EVERY DAY.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

mouse wrote:YOUR SITE IS THE BITCH KITTIES. I GO THERE EVERY DAY.
Aw thanks! :)
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

mouse wrote:YOUR SITE IS THE BITCH KITTIES. I GO THERE EVERY DAY.
Ass kisser detected.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

YOU SHOULD GRAB YOUR CAMERA, THEN. GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO WATCH WITH YOUR UNCLE.
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

Well let me say first that I loved the game. Very entertaining, thought provoking, and emotionally engaging.

While it feels like it is very different from the old games, it still is very good and stands tall as it's own game in my opinion.

My main problem is that the ending was a little disappointing.. I mean it was all great and all but that "None of it was real" thing kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Interestingly, I was under the impression that Harry was out of his mind a bit and I even thought that he may not even be Harry...just some other crazy guy..some ofthe freeze over parts seemed like they happened right before something threatening to Harry's identity was said. Of course it makes sense afterwords what it was all about...that's not a complaint but just thought the game kinda set it up to be like that.
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

This is Silent Hill; if you want meanings fed to you, you're playing the wrong game.
Here's some advice: if you're going to troll try aiming higher. Saying this isn't suggesting to "have meanings fed to me" as you absent mindedly put it. It's me stating that the game has less of it than previous games. If you disagree, that's fine. But if you're going to start throwing a tantrum than you're only making yourself look worse.
Or so you baselessly assume.
First of all: it something you can easily pick up on after finishing the game. It DOES tell you pretty much what happened without all the need of the mementos and such.

Second of all: I like how you claimed I "was baselessly assuming" yet fail to explain how it's "baseless". Nice red flag there.
See above; you're applying a double standard here where the other games do the same thing, but aren't being punished for it.
Because the other ones did have symbolism such as Alessa's nightmare worlds and Walter's worlds being based around his own experiences.

Here, I felt they had none. Again, if you disagree that's fine. All I'm doing is stating my opinions yet you have to be unnecessarily aggressive about it. You know, it is possible to give an opinion without having to pointlessly type out "IMO" within each post.

I'm not gonna list them here; play SH2 through and you'll see quite a bit.
Then don't say anything if you aren't going to provide examples.
Again, you're not taking into account that Shattered Memories has a different mission than the other games.
So basically you missed out on the statement where I suggested a sequel may shed some light on it. It's possible that this could be the start of something brand new. That's what I was hinting at.
You're essentially whining that there's no pumpkin in your apple pie.
So I'm "whining" now? You're really starting to sound like a kid with your posts.
[/quote]
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Because the other ones did have symbolism such as Alessa's nightmare worlds and Walter's worlds being based around his own experiences.
I have nothing to say about Walter, because I've not finished SH4 just yet.

But:
Alessa's nightmare? It's simply a scary world. Yes, it's her nightmare, and the dark world shows that she's in a nightmare... but that's all it is. The symbolism is in the monsters moreso than the Otherworld itself, I should think; the Otherworld in SM had actual meaning to the fact that ice was taking over Silent Hill.
Then don't say anything if you aren't going to provide examples.
Aura may not have provided examples, but I did. Where is your argument that they had no meaning?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Here's some advice: if you're going to troll try aiming higher. Saying this isn't suggesting to "have meanings fed to me" as you absent mindedly put it. It's me stating that the game has less of it than previous games. If you disagree, that's fine. But if you're going to start throwing a tantrum than you're only making yourself look worse.
I'm not trolling just because your feelings were hurt and you need to project your tantrum back onto me. You're complaining that the game lacks depth or symbolism,but you've demonstrated that you've barely even looked.
First of all: it something you can easily pick up on after finishing the game. It DOES tell you pretty much what happened without all the need of the mementos and such.

Second of all: I like how you claimed I "was baselessly assuming" yet fail to explain how it's "baseless". Nice red flag there.
See above. Just because you haven't found it all doesn't mean that there's little to find. By your methods, I could play Silent Hill 2, and say how the game was all about how James killed Mary and nothing else meaningful happened.

Here, I felt they had none. Again, if you disagree that's fine. All I'm doing is stating my opinions yet you have to be unnecessarily aggressive about it. You know, it is possible to give an opinion without having to pointlessly type out "IMO" within each post.
There's symbolism present; it's an objective fact of the matter. While you may think it's not GOOD symbolism, it doesn't change the fact that it's every bit as symbolic as the other games; there's even things frozen in the ice that relate to Cheryl (And I'll give you that the Chase Scenes being high-speed and making most players miss this is a bit of a flaw).
So I'm "whining" now? You're really starting to sound like a kid with your posts.
Sorry, but if someone complains about how the Mementos don't have symbolism, for example, then admit they never really looked for it, then don't seem to have looked over a thread providing loads of possible symbolism, I'm going to see that person as a bit of a whiner. You've yet to demonstrate that you're not committing a double standard here, because to me, it seems like you played the game just a few times and didn't scrutinize it like we've all done with the older games.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]