for haters of Homecoming

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

for haters of Homecoming

Post by Doo-glas »

I still haven't played Shattered Memories, but I heard from some folks that it was quote "excellent"

so what I was wondering was, for people who thought Homecoming was crap (like me) did you like Shattered Memories?
Disfigurator
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Disfigurator »

SH:SM is a completely different kind of a Silent Hill game - original, with new story, antagonists - recycling only the familiar characters in order to remake them into something altogether different. Yes, I did enjoy SH:SM a lot, lot, lot more than Homecoming.
It's just that SH:SM features a lot more of Silent Hill'ness!
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

SHSM is the best Silent Hill game.

If you don't play it, I'll force you to. Just get it for the Wii version.
AlexShepherd555

Post by AlexShepherd555 »

I thought homecoming was good and shattered memories was crap. IMO the worst silent hill game but that's my opinion so I guess if you think the reverse of me you'll love SH:SM go buy it now you'll looove it.
-mimic-
Just Passing Through

Post by -mimic- »

"If you don't play it, I'll force you to. Just get it for the Wii version."

No.

There is a puzzle which requires you to flip and move some swan pieces. I've tried that part for 2 hours now, and its pretty much impossible to get those swans right.

So Im guessing that part is gonna be a lot easier with a typical controller.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

-mimic- wrote:"If you don't play it, I'll force you to. Just get it for the Wii version."

No.

There is a puzzle which requires you to flip and move some swan pieces. I've tried that part for 2 hours now, and its pretty much impossible to get those swans right.

Simply because you're having trouble with it doesn't mean everyone does. I had trouble the first time, so I reset my Wii and tried a second time and got it almost right away.

From what I can tell, people like SM better because even though it's not a traditional Silent Hill, the controls as a whole immerse you and the plotline isn't as predictable as Homecoming's.
AlexShepherd555

Post by AlexShepherd555 »

Yeah the plot-line was a bit of a shocking twisting confusing thing. SM has an odd plot-line that's for sure.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

I didn't like Shattered Memories although I must admit that the ending is neat.
Will not say much about the game because I don't want to spoil you, but to be honest, the last SH I've enjoyed was origins... and I didn't even bother to finish SH4... :\
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

-mimic- wrote:"If you don't play it, I'll force you to. Just get it for the Wii version."

No.

There's no indication when you do get them 'right'. There's no magical chimes or anything, and the arrangement doesn't trigger anything.

I played it on PS2 and I got stuck here, too, because I didn't understand at first what the point was.
Kassad
Just Passing Through

Post by Kassad »

Shadows and numbers
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^I went through the Planetarium my first play through, which is harder (IMO) because there is no:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
fucking painting cluing you in on the fact that you are supposed to moved the pieces to make a phone number in the shadows. As soon as I walked inthe Art Room I saw the painting of the figures being moved.
I think I spent something like 45 min.s trying to figure out the damn Planetarium puzzle, calling the audio tour over and over, thinking I had to of missed something.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

alone in the town wrote:

No.

There's no indication when you do get them 'right'. There's no magical chimes or anything, and the arrangement doesn't trigger anything.

I played it on PS2 and I got stuck here, too, because I didn't understand at first what the point was.
There's no tone or anything, but there IS a painting that indicates what you should do. It's a bit easy to miss, though.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Or you can skip that whole swan puzzle out altogether and go through the planetarium instead of the art studio.

I love Homecoming but from a non-biased standpoint I can see that Homecoming and Shattered Memories are opposite ends of the SH spectrum (even though they came out in succession). Shattered Memories is dignified and story-driven, with little to no violence or gore, and nothing one would consider 'action', whilst Homecoming is more of a 'proper' horror game with scares and gore and all... The original 4 games (and 0rigins) are somewhere inbetween, but Homecoming and Shattered Memories seem to be each extreme, the polar opposites if you will...

So I guess perhaps you'll like it if you didn't like Homecoming, however, Homecoming feels more like a Silent Hill game with it's game world and setting and everything, whilst Shattered Memories feels like a whole different world.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

No.

Ahem: You don't have to do that puzzle in order to complete the game. Go the the planetarium instead and stop whining, you did this on the other topic. All you have to do is dial a SIMPLE number which you can find on Google. You don't even have to do the goddamn puzzle.

The things you can look up on the internet.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

Wait, I thought that if you enter one area, the other closes off and you can't access it?

In either case, yes, guides are wonderful things, generally speaking.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Ehh I found shattered memories decent at best(definitely better than homecoming and origins) but it was NOT scary whatsoever. And the chase sequences were kind of blah for me.
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

Shattered Memories is my favorite Silent Hill STORY so far (well, okay, tied with SH2), that said, I found the gameplay something really frustrating, and forced myself to continue because I was loving the rest of it so much.

So yeah, if you're someone who values story, immersion etc over gameplay, then you'll like SHSM.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

saevitia wrote:Shattered Memories is my favorite Silent Hill STORY so far (well, okay, tied with SH2), that said, I found the gameplay something really frustrating, and forced myself to continue because I was loving the rest of it so much.

So yeah, if you're someone who values story, immersion etc over gameplay, then you'll like SHSM.
Gameplay was great, it's just the nightmare sequences. The best way to get them off is in quick, short, BURSTS. Don't swing the remote too far.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

See, it's funny how different our opinions can be in some things. I loved that puzzle with the swan pieces. In fact, it's the ONLY "puzzle" in Shattered Memories I feel is worth being called a puzzle. Most of the other puzzles were built around the wiimote and amount to nothing more than "move the wiimote here and move this there and open the door". Really really easy stuff. That puzzle, on the other hand, took a tiny bit of thinking outside the box and observing all of your surroundings. Not the same level as the puzzles in the older games, but still took me a few minutes to figure out.

Back on topic, though. Lack of puzzles aside (I don't really consider that a flaw anyway, since old-school puzzles would have felt awkward with the pacing of this game), this is one of the best Silent Hill games out there imo. It is, in almost every single way, the exact opposite of Homecoming.

Just because you hated Homecoming doesn't mean you will like Shattered Memories of course, but it does mean it is worth giving it a play. Shattered Memories is far from perfect from a gameplay standpoint, but for their time, so is every other game in the series. Where it really matters for me, the story/characters/concept/atmosphere, Shattered Memories rivals the giants like SH2 for me.

Oh, and those chase scenes were not annoying at all on the PS2. It's hard to suggest one over the other. I got myself a Wii and have played both the Wii and PS2 versions. Many parts of the Wii version surpass the PS2 version without question, but the Otherworld chase scenes are really annoying on the Wii, while they are not annoying one bit for me on the PS2, and I enjoy them much more there. Overall, I'd suggest the Wii version first I suppose, but I find the PS2 version better to play if you have already experienced it once on the Wii.
AirborneSFSoldier

Post by AirborneSFSoldier »

I recommend you RENT shattered memories as you will complete it in about 3-5 hours honestly it's not worth wasting all that money on, and you can view the other endings online. You should thank me I've saved you a lot of money :)