----------

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

NothingLikeSleep wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Okay, except we were talking about the psychological profile thing, not the no combat thing. It's no question that other games have done that better (Clock Tower, for example), but that's never, ever been what Shattered Memories was making it's main draw.
Original Post: I have yet to play the game, but am cruious about it, i'm not interested in the story in all honesty, you can't replace SH1. However i am interesting the in the new style of gameplay. i've watched a few reviews. the concept does not seem to bad, i like the idea of running for once, although this game proves to be weak due to the lack of monster vareity, i see this game as more of a trial.

No we were talking about the combat and running away thing.
Cool, except almost everyone in the thread shifted the topic towards the psychological profile aspect, bro.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Yes, this concept is a step forward. It focused more on what I really like about Silent Hill than most other recent titles have. That doesn't mean future SH titles need to rely on what SM did in order to be good. It was just a nice step in a better direction for me.

Also, as was said, this game is in no way trying to replace SH1. Why are people still hung up on that when they made it very clear this is not anything like a remake before the game even came out? It's a whole new story with new characters. The only thing similar to SH1 are their names.
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

AuraTwilight wrote:
NothingLikeSleep wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Okay, except we were talking about the psychological profile thing, not the no combat thing. It's no question that other games have done that better (Clock Tower, for example), but that's never, ever been what Shattered Memories was making it's main draw.
Original Post: I have yet to play the game, but am cruious about it, i'm not interested in the story in all honesty, you can't replace SH1. However i am interesting the in the new style of gameplay. i've watched a few reviews. the concept does not seem to bad, i like the idea of running for once, although this game proves to be weak due to the lack of monster vareity, i see this game as more of a trial.

No we were talking about the combat and running away thing.
Cool, except almost everyone in the thread shifted the topic towards the psychological profile aspect,

bro.

The thread wasn't even page long, if i didn't direct my comment directly to you it should be assumed im referring to the main topic of the thread dumb ass, and if you know how to read you will see more people were talking about the running away and combat thing than the quesetianaire before my first post. boom betch
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

NothingLikeSleep wrote: The thread wasn't even page long, if i didn't direct my comment directly to you it should be assumed im referring to the main topic of the thread dumb ass, and if you know how to read you will see more people were talking about the running away and combat thing than the quesetianaire before my first post. boom betch
You were the one that made the initial statement and you did not specify which aspect of the concept of SM you were talking about. Most people were talking about the story. Stop being an ass just because nobody read your mind.
NothingLikeSleep

The original post said concept followed by running away refering to combat genius. Quit riding aurAs dick. Were you born a retard or did you have to work on it?
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I had to work on it. Not all of us were born with the natural talent you have.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

NothingLikeSleep you have no right to talk to anyone here like that it is considered flaming which if YOU can read is against our rules. If you do it again you will be removed from this forum.
NothingLikeSleep

NanayaShiki wrote:I had to work on it. Not all of us were born with the natural talent you have.
You overachiever you =)
Chris Sunderland

Post by Chris Sunderland »

NanayaShiki wrote:I had to work on it. Not all of us were born with the natural talent you have.
Damnyum. Sorry that was an amazing comeback, worth being off topic for.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

alone in the town wrote:
-mimic- wrote:Silent Hill can be loved from many different things.
My point is that this series (minus maybe Silent Hill: Homecoming) has always handed the interactive violence with a minimum of attention. It's never been the series' draw. It's never been unique or even very exciting. At the best of times, it simply didn't obstruct the story very much.
Minimum of attention my ass. There has been plenty of attention focused on it. Nobody is saying it's the number one thing that makes up the series, but it's one of many important factors that make Silent Hill what it is. Silent Hill has never focused solely on story telling. Playing the games flat out demonstrates this to you first hand.

Which is one problem with Shattered Memories. There was no atmosphere. The actual storyline itself was predictable and not as godly as people overrate it to be.

So yes, this concept was indeed a major step back.
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Minimum of attention my ass. There has been plenty of attention focused on it. Nobody is saying it's the number one thing that makes up the series, but it's one of many important factors that make Silent Hill what it is. Silent Hill has never focused solely on story telling. Playing the games flat out demonstrates this to you first hand.
...No, it doesn't, as people have played the games are disagreeing. You need to explain WHY the games demonstrate this, WHY combat is so important to what Silent Hill is.
Which is one problem with Shattered Memories. There was no atmosphere. The actual storyline itself was predictable and not as godly as people overrate it to be.
Other people disagree. Clearly there was an atmosphere; you just weren't effected by it. Clearly the storyline wasn't predictable, since next to no one predicted it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

I most definitely don't consider the storyline predictable, at all. The twist didn't fully click with me til the end of the game, as I expect is the same with a lot of people.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Both the atmosphere and the story were the strongest the series has been since SH2 for me. I also enjoyed the gameplay quite a lot. So, lolopinions.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I partially predicted the story if only because
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I noticed that the tests were directly effecting the gameplay, which made me think: "maybe this all happening parallel!"
But I still didn't predict the final twist.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

people who claim that combat was never important to the series are kidding themselves. just because you never really cared for the combat, doesn't mean it was never important. it was always there as another tool to help instill fear, and add tension. the only game in the series where combat really takes the backseat is in SH2. this is mainly due to the fact that you can literally walk away from a number of the monsters in the game.

anyway, no, this concept isn't a step forward and it was actually something Climax really focused on. i seem to remember Hulett claiming how they were really trying to create this new way to scare SH gamers, by eliminating combat and having the raw shocks. they were trying to go for a more realistic approach, stating most folks if given the option to fight or run, would run. i think for the most part this is true, however it was poorly executed in SM. that, and the raw shocks aren't very creative imo.

they also focused on atmosphere quite a bit. however, you can't really appreciate the icy otherworld because you're forced to run the entire time, and the normal SH world is just boring.

anyway, like others have said, the story is the games strong point, and if you're not so interested in that, i'd say pass on this game.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

people who claim that combat was never important to the series are kidding themselves. just because you never really cared for the combat, doesn't mean it was never important. it was always there as another tool to help instill fear, and add tension. the only game in the series where combat really takes the backseat is in SH2. this is mainly due to the fact that you can literally walk away from a number of the monsters in the game.
People who claim the combat was ever important to the series are kidding themselves. Just because you were really scared by the combat, doesn't mean it was ever important. It was always there as a clunky tool that failed to instill fear, and add frustration. The only game in the series where combat really takes the frontseat is in Homecoming. This is mainly due to the fact that it's the only game where you can't literally walk away from a number of the monsters in the game.
Jecht
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Jecht »

Combat was important in Resident Evil, in Silent Hill, you could literally run away from everything unless it was a boss fight or needed to be killed.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

AuraTwilight wrote:
People who claim the combat was ever important to the series are kidding themselves. Just because you were really scared by the combat, doesn't mean it was ever important. It was always there as a clunky tool that failed to instill fear, and add frustration. The only game in the series where combat really takes the frontseat is in Homecoming. This is mainly due to the fact that it's the only game where you can't literally walk away from a number of the monsters in the game.
Fail.

i guess you forgot about SH? y'know, the first game in the series? did you forget how the Mumblers would gang up on Harry in Midwich? there were also those nigthflutter things that would fly around town and chase you, constantly plucking you in the head. they were fast enough to catch you even if you ran, so you had to shoot them at times. lets not forget the romper's while we're at it... try walking away from any of those and you die. also, those monsters made the overall experience more terrifying for me, seeing as i ran from most of them, and was afraid to be caught by them.

and if combat was never important to series, the developers would've axed it a long time ago. they also wouldn't have spent any time trying to improve it with each new entry to the series.

and typical. someone has a negative opinion about SM and then it's defenders start to bash Homecoming. The TC did ask us for our opinion after all. i didn't even mention Homecoming, nor compare it to SM once in my post, so let's just stick to SM please? save the HC bashing for the HC section.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Jecht wrote:Combat was important in Resident Evil, in Silent Hill, you could literally run away from everything unless it was a boss fight or needed to be killed.
you can say the same for RE, cos i remember being able to run from pretty much everything except the bosses in RE1. although i'll agree with combat being more important to the RE series.

in SH there's story, atmosphere, and then combat/gameplay as far as the order of importance goes. all three add to the overall experience, and each person ranks one higher than the other.
Jecht
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Jecht »

Yeah you can run away in RE but there was also A LOT of backtracking and if you didn't kill everything, you ran into them again when you came back.

The developers didn't axe the combat because they were making a horror game. The technology wasn't there to get around having a way to kill everything. If they did axe it, what could they have done?