Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 18 Aug 2018




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Yea. [spoiler]The videotape, and the parts with adult Cheryl in them, are real. Dr. K is not imaginary. On another note, this can't be Heather anyway; this Cheryl's hair is brown, not black, and it's not a dye job.[/spoiler]

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 13 Jul 2009
Notes left: 174
Last seen at: Beyond time
I finished game few days ago and althought it has some nice new elements it had so much more bad stuff in general.

Good - there aren't enemies so most of the time you must rely on exploring,storyline,phone,interaction with psychiatrist,endings...

Bad - Nightmares (i always get lost), didn't feel fear at all,town was kinda dull and there wasn't any blood...


Nice try to milk some money from the fans but overall i wasn't impressed by the game.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 08 Mar 2006
Notes left: 138
Last seen at: Surrey, England
alone in the town wrote:
Quote:
You can say silent hill has a formula but the formula has never been so extremely predictable as it was in shattered memories.


I totally, emphatically disagree.

When I tried Silent Hill: Origins, I expected the classic formula I described above. Minus the annoying changes to combat and the fact that the awful 2D control scheme was mandatory, the game played exactly like the first four games and the patterns were identical. There was no shock, no surprise, and I still don't like the game enough to get past the Sanitarium. Hell, by this point, the [otherside] manifestations weren't simply predictable, they were controllable . . . and it still looked mostly the same as it ever had. In so many ways, this series was stuck in a self-referential loop since the third game, and each successive title was less interesting and surprising because of it.

With Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, it was very different, because the [otherside] manifests with little warning, a few times happening without even a cutscene break. Thus, I spent my first playthrough in a state of careful tension because I had no idea when it would happen, and I had to be ready for it because this game did not treat the [otherside] as merely interior redecorating in Modern American Gruesome, it also changed the gameplay. Sometimes, the shift would almost come as a relief because I'd been waiting for it longer than I thought and it made me nervous.

In gameplay and story both, no game in the Silent Hill series has subverted my expectations as much as Silent Hill: Shattered Memories except for the very first. It's hardly a perfect game, but I came away feeling more satisfied from this series than I had since 2001.


I completely agree with this... In fact, I also agree with AuraTwilight as well, except that I do believe that non-threatening atmosphere can be terrifying... There are moments in SH2 (such as the invisible monster making noises in the prison which can't harm you) and in SM (such as the child ghosts) scare me silly even though there's no actual threat. And yet the hairs stand up across my arms and back...oooph! Marvellous :)

I quoted this post of yours, alone in the town, because I really wish you'd play Origins beyong the Sanitarium. I hate the Sanitarium in Origins, I think it is incredible boring.

And yet I fell head over heels in love with Origins for all the stuff AFTER the Sanitarium, which is absolutely beautiful and does put a different visual spin on the Otherworld compared to the other games. There is so much wonderful detail and love put into Origins by Climax, and yet that is not evident from the Sanitarium level, which I consider to be overlong and boring.

So yeah I do implore you to finish the game...it is very, very beautiful. Sure, it's a pastiche of SH1 and 3, but...it's a really beautifully done pastiche! And it certainly made me realise that the Climax guys know EXACTLY how Silent Hill has worked in the past...which meant that they knew the right way to take the series to take it in a wholly new direction. Which was wonderfully born out with SM, definitely in my mind a game up there to rival SH2.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?

Missing since: 09 Sep 2010
Notes left: 10
Nah, though I could have used a little more monster variation. (raw shocks evolving to your psych profile is cool, but maybe a few fast dog-like creatures, or slow giant monster that evolves with it as well.) The length I didn't have a problem with. I felt if it was too long, the chase sequences and the story would have suffered drastically.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?

Missing since: 10 Sep 2010
Notes left: 18
This game could have been a lot better. The wii controls, when I first heard about it, seemed really cool and innovative, but in actual practice were just kind of gimicky. I eventually got them figured out, but still I never liked them. That's subjective, I know, but there it is.

The gameplay was different, which could have been cool, but "different", as it turns out, doesn't always equal "good". The normal world was well-crafted and looked great, but was dull and boring. The ice-world was a little better, but still pretty dull.

The chase sequences were too repetetive. It was cool the first eight thousand times, but, eventually, it wore thin. That would have been great if it was something that you had to do once or twice in a game that offered up a lot more variation, but over and over it just becomes tedious. I found my eyes rolling every time the world started freezing over--here we go again.

The monsters weren't any better or worse than previous Silent Hill monsters, but there was just the one, and even though it changed a little, it didn't do anything different throughout the whole game, and, after one or two chase sequences, lost what little bit of "scary" they had.

The dialogue was well-acted and completely boring. We have one sequence where, after just finishing a chase sequence and finding Lisa Garland who had just crashed an ambulance, we have this long, uneventful walk home and a stupid conversation that's something like "You know, being a nurse is okay, but it sucks sometimes," "Yeah, being a writer is kind of dull, but it's a good gig, I guess." Not "Hey, did you see those monsters?! I Just got chased by monsters!" Or, "Gee, I was just in a car crash, maybe instead of going home I should stay here, this being a hospital and all."

The story was ho-hum, all right for what it was, but... this was supposedly a re-imagining, but the re-imaginers took a Lovecraftian epic and turned it into an after school special. "We have this town that's being swallowed into a hellish dimension populated by all manner of demons and whatnot who are determined to turn our world into some kind of strange hell--or...OR... we could make it about a teenage girl with daddy issues. Hell yeah. And we could have SEX in it. Sex is what passes for edgy with young people."

And last, not scary, and not disturbing. People have many different ideas of what makes a Silent Hill game a Silent Hill game, but for me, it's all about the disturbing imagery. This had very little to offer in that arena. There were a few weird things, but nothing outright disturbing, at all. A plane crash or a train wreck where you wouldn't expect to find one? Strange, yes. Disturbing, no.

I wasn't disappointed with this game. I was betrayed. This was Metallica's St. Anger, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, and the last three Dark Tower books all over again.

It's my opinion that anybody defending this game just doesn't want to admit that they were snookered out of fifty bucks (or whatever it cost, I don't remember). And before anybody says "Nuh-UH!", I did say it was my opinion. I get that there are people who actually liked this game, the same way I get that there are people out there who actually like eating feces. But I will never understand it.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2009
Notes left: 1081
Last seen at: North of The Wall
Humbordt wrote:

Not ... "Gee, I was just in a car crash, maybe instead of going home I should stay here, this being a hospital and all."


Guess you missed that part of the conversation, where Harry suggests that they should get help in the hospital and Lisa says that she's fine and just wants to go home.

Humbordt wrote:

The story was ho-hum, all right for what it was, but... this was supposedly a re-imagining, but the re-imaginers took a Lovecraftian epic and turned it into an after school special. "We have this town that's being swallowed into a hellish dimension populated by all manner of demons and whatnot who are determined to turn our world into some kind of strange hell--or...OR... we could make it about a teenage girl with daddy issues. Hell yeah. And we could have SEX in it. Sex is what passes for edgy with young people."


Quoted for complete failure to understand what the Silent Hill series has always been about.

Humbordt wrote:
It's my opinion that anybody defending this game just doesn't want to admit that they were snookered out of fifty bucks (or whatever it cost, I don't remember). And before anybody says "Nuh-UH!", I did say it was my opinion. I get that there are people who actually liked this game, the same way I get that there are people out there who actually like eating feces. But I will never understand it.


Because saying "my opinion" makes it ok to say that people who genuinely like the game eat shit.

_________________
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
Not "Hey, did you see those monsters?! I Just got chased by monsters!"


You forget to take into account that this has happened multiple times already, and Harry's entertaining the possibility that he's just going fucking nuts.

Also, thanks for insulting everyone who liked the game.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: Right behind you
Harry's physical health is a clue. He was in a fairly serious car crash and exhibits no injuries whatsoever. It's the first clue that he's not really there doing this. There are others but this one only kind of jumped at me, because of hollywood movies where a man is shot in the leg, and 10 minutes later, not only is he not bleeding any more, but apparently he has completely forgotten the flesh wound and kicked a man in the face after chasing him through several long hallways. I digress.

Harry himself doesn't think of the car crash after it happens. He doesn't even mention it to anyone after he meets Cybil. Why? Who else doesn't acknowledge the car crash after it happens?

_________________
Image
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3833
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
Oh brother no need for people to be so asshurt by his comment. It's his opinion so it's not that big of a deal. I don't think he was seriously insulting everyone that likes the game(he was probably kidding.) I mean you don't see me getting upset when people say things like "everyone that likes FPS games is dumb" Just chill.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?

Missing since: 10 Sep 2010
Notes left: 18
I wasn't insulting anybody, I just felt, at the end of the game, that I just got done eating a plate of shit. I never said YOU guys eat shit. I said you guys like a game that I hate. Liking this game and liking the taste of shit are two things I can't understand, but I never said the two things are liked by the same people.

Why is it that when you say stuff like that in person, everybody laughs, but on the internet, everybody gets sad?

The thread asked if anybody else was disappointed with this game, so why are all the people who love this game so much saying anything but, "No, I was not disappointed, I liked it." Who are you guys trying to convince? If you loved it, then by all means, go right on loving it. I actually envy you. I wish I had loved it as much. I like liking video games. But if you hate something, you really can't help that, can you?


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2009
Notes left: 1081
Last seen at: North of The Wall
Humbordt wrote:
I wasn't insulting anybody, I just felt, at the end of the game, that I just got done eating a plate of shit. I never said YOU guys eat shit.


You equated the two things together, it may not have been an intentional insult but it's easy to see it as one.

Humbordt wrote:

The thread asked if anybody else was disappointed with this game, so why are all the people who love this game so much saying anything but, "No, I was not disappointed, I liked it."


The point of the thread is to promote discussion, if we were all in a room together and somebody said "Hey, was anyone else disappointed by SH:SM?" would you expect all of the people who liked the game not to join in the conversation?

_________________
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
paladin181 wrote:
Harry himself doesn't think of the car crash after it happens. He doesn't even mention it to anyone after he meets Cybil. Why? Who else doesn't acknowledge the car crash after it happens?


Yes he does. He tells everyone. He tells Cybil, the Barkeeper, Lisa and Michelle. The only person he doesn't tell (that I know of) is Dahlia. But depending on the conversation the game is headed toward, he can and will tell everyone in the game that he was in the car crash.

And the crash wasn't that bad.

_________________
Image
The war has begun:
Use your voice today before you no longer have one tomorrow.
World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: Right behind you
Huh. In my game he didn't day word one about it to anyone except Cybil (Or the barkeep). Maybe my memory is just hazy now.

_________________
Image
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
I'm pretty sure he tells it to Michelle and Lisa. Well, maybe not Lisa. But definitely Michelle.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Harrys_Girl wrote:
And the crash wasn't that bad.

Given the circumstances, that's a pretty funny thing to say. :P

(I know what you meant, no need to clarify)

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?

Missing since: 10 Sep 2010
Notes left: 18
"You equated the two things together, it may not have been an intentional insult but it's easy to see it as one."

I understand that, but it really wasn't my intention. The taste the game left in my mouth was similar to what I imagine shit must taste like (you know, during those many, many times I sit around imagining what shit must taste like :wink: ).

"The point of the thread is to promote discussion, if we were all in a room together and somebody said "Hey, was anyone else disappointed by SH:SM?" would you expect all of the people who liked the game not to join in the conversation?"

No, no, you're totally allowed to say whatever you want, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't. I'm seriously asking, what are you trying to accomplish by defending this game? Not because I don't believe you should, but because I don't understand why it matters to you guys so much that some people hate Shattered Memories. I really just want to know.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2009
Notes left: 1081
Last seen at: North of The Wall
Humbordt wrote:

I understand that, but it really wasn't my intention. The taste the game left in my mouth was similar to what I imagine shit must taste like (you know, during those many, many times I sit around imagining what shit must taste like :wink: ).


Yeah, I get you, I just took it the wrong way at first.

Humbordt wrote:

No, no, you're totally allowed to say whatever you want, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't. I'm seriously asking, what are you trying to accomplish by defending this game? Not because I don't believe you should, but because I don't understand why it matters to you guys so much that some people hate Shattered Memories. I really just want to know.


Personally, I'm not really trying to accomplish anything other than getting my point across, this is an internet forum - debate will ensue no matter what the topic of conversation :D

I really don't see how me defending a game is any different from you attacking it (other than the stance, obviously). The goal of both sides is to argue their point.

_________________
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
Good grief people..the guy didn't like the game...it's his opinion..i didn't think he was insulting anybody..in fact i thought he was being sarcastically funny....he didn't like it, but he was also being funny about it...you folks need to lighten up...


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?

Missing since: 10 Sep 2010
Notes left: 18
I only attack the game in places like this, where they specifically asked who else was disappointed, or other places asking for opinions on it. Generally, I let it slide. It's not like I'm being forced to play it again. I'm glad enough people liked it where it didn't kill the franchise, but I was afraid if too many people liked it, then that would be the direction they took the series, and if that were the case, I would prefer it dead.

If indeed you're just trying to promote discussion (which means "bullshitting about a video game" in laymen's terms), then cool. It just seemed odd that there was so much knee-jerk defense, like you were actually trying to convince yourself (I say this because I did just that in the couple of weeks after I finished the game, but after a while I couldn't convince myself that what I was tasting was anything other than shit, and I do believe that there are fans like that out there still, defending this game to the death and hating it at the same time).

clips wrote:
Good grief people..the guy didn't like the game...it's his opinion..i didn't think he was insulting anybody..in fact i thought he was being sarcastically funny....he didn't like it, but he was also being funny about it...you folks need to lighten up...


You can't see facial expressions or hear tone of voice on the internet, so I'm aften taken more seriously than I should be. I should probably think about that before I comment, but it livens things up, so what the hell. I still love you guys.

MOD EDIT: Use the EDIT button. Double posts are not allowed.
Harrys_Girl


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Not gonna lie, Humbordt, your bombastic entry made you look like a douche.

Now that you've explained yourself further, I think you've carried your point quite well. Took a little while, but you did it.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: