To make video games part of science...

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

To make video games part of science...

Post by lain of the wired »

Hello everyone.

In the past, we've been studied objectively as a part of the internet culture beyond our own understanding, and certainly outside of our knowledge. I personally believe what that certain individual did was unethical.

So here's the thing: I am fascinated with the concept of video games as an actually recognized medium for both psychological study and entertainment. Furthermore, I believe that video games could be the incoming wave of the future in therapy and psychological treatment. Already, video games are used to treat PTSD and phobias. I want to take it a step further, and I look to you, the Silent Hill fanbase, to help me.

I'm especially interested in what the recent SH:SM game did as far as "you pick your game." So I am asking you, the forum-goer, legitimately and straight-forward: in order to study video games as a legitimate medium, may I look at your posts in this forum in order to further research how your gaming patterns reflect your personality? Please post a simple "yes" or "no." I promise no names will be disclosed, no personal information given, in the final potential publication.

If you want video games to be recognized as more than mere "toys," and certainly above the label of "filth" that certain individuals want to call them; if you want to fight against those who would want to censor video games claiming they cause children damage; post "yes." Together, we can scientifically legitimize video games as something more than just a toy.

[EDIT] For those interested in the other ways games are being used in therapy: Tetris reduces PTSD symptoms, virtual simulation games treat Iraq soldiers with PTSD, an earlier look at the same therapy, and video games are a cheap and effective tool in treating phobias. I've seen the full set-up for the Iraq soldiers therapy "game"- they even give them properly weighted fake guns to hold and release certain smells that would trigger their symptoms, like burning rubber, smoke and cooking meat. It's an incredibly immersive experience, as it needs to be- you can't recreate that experience in any other way and still keep it ethical.[/EDIT]
Last edited by lain of the wired on 13 May 2010, edited 1 time in total.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

Yes!
:P
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

Yes
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

Yes
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Godaamit, Yes :D!
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I see them more as art than science, for the most part, but yes.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Fuck yes.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Why the hell not.
Thanatos
Just Passing Through

Post by Thanatos »

I`m a newbie in the forum, but yes.
AnastasisXD
Hope House Careworker

Post by AnastasisXD »

are we all just gonna say yes until this gets locked?
its a yes by me anyway
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Yes, it's fine by me, though I'm not sure what value any of my posts may have. I'd be interested to see what you do with this. 8)

Is there any particular reason you put this in the SH:SM Spoiler section? I know Shattered Memories seems to be a large part of your reason for considering this project, but the subject itself could go in Lakeside since the topic of concern is video games in general. You'd probably get more replies outside of the spoiler forum.

Just let me know if you want the thread moved.
lain of the wired

^Hmm...I have to think on that. Wider subject sample is always good for validity, but I'm not sure it would give me the data I need. :|

It's just a qualitative set up, so far. If I can build up enough of a case for my hypothesis, I plan to contact Climax and see if I can get more information about the determining factors in the game, how/why they chose the particular tests they did and how they decided the meaning of the player's choices, and see if there's any way those concepts/algorithms could be used in a practical therapeutic application.

Basically, I'm sort of utilizing the game as an already-done experiment and trying to see if there's any meaning to be extracted from the results.

...Does that make sense? :?
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Sure does. :)
AlessaChevalier
Just Passing Through

Post by AlessaChevalier »

Yes
When I become the voice of reason, you know reason is in deep $%*#ing trouble.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I don't know why you even ask this question in a game related community. The answer is right in front of you, lain. It's obvious that like 99,9% of the people around here will say yes. And I am one of them.

But just to make sure:
I see them more as art than science, for the most part
I agree.
lain of the wired

Yuki wrote:I see them more as art than science, for the most part, but yes.
I agree- they are mostly art and entertainment. Right now, anyway. But don't we have art therapy? Play therapy? Why not game therapy? :)
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Yes.

I think it could be an incredibly useful tool. Unlike other forms of "entertainment", video games have a level of immersion that movie/books could never reach. SH:SM was a shining success to the idea of psychology based games, games that pick up on subtle characteristics, patterns, choices, etc. that a player makes that they are not even aware of. The fact that I got the "sexual" themed Raw Shocks and the boobzilla version of Cybil was sort of an eye opener for me. I had not really thought of myself as so sexually exposed. I thought I had hid my sexuality very well, but even when "hiding" it, the game picked up on that and I have begun to explore that side of myself a little more freely and openly. I think that can be plainly seen by both people around me and even by my posts here on the forum. I am beginning to understand that it isn't a "bad" thing to be a little kinky. :wink:
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

Yes!
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

yup
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

No. Heheheh... I mean, yes.