Shattered Memories, Just as Canon as any other Silent Hill?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Cheryl,Heather...whatever
Just Passing Through
Location: I Don't Know...I woke up on this park bench in this...Foggy Town...Seems Deserted.

Post by Cheryl,Heather...whatever »

Oh Right, my bad. yeah SM Retcons nothing about SH1, considering SM is all in Cheryls mind.

your right, I completly fudged up what you were saying, sorry.

yeah in order to make SM Canonical it must be retconned, i.e Undermining everything that made SM great, is that what you ment?

well, yeah it would have to be aretcon, but it doesnt have to mess up SM, Everything in that game would still matter, still have the same impact on the character of Cheryl

The Retcon would only really apply to behind the scenes so to speak....Kaufmann is not what he seems in SM Ect.

But that doesnt make Cheryls emotional journey through SM any less important or have less of an impact as, in her point of view, its real, evrything she feels and experiences is real in that game....just Kaufmann;s motives would be the only major Retcon to impact the Story....if done Right, ofcourse.
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^You used the word "Retcon" like 5 times and I have no fucking clue what you are trying to say here.

Kaufmann is a third party. All he is experiencing is what Cheryl is telling him, the notes from her previous doctors and his imagination. So Kaufmann is exactly what he seems, a shrink that likes to drink and make snarky comments. He is perhaps the real and truest thing int he game.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Ret-con means "retroactive continuity."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Just Passing Through
Location: I Don't Know...I woke up on this park bench in this...Foggy Town...Seems Deserted.

to Harrys_Girl
Yeah, thats true....what I'm talking about is a "what if?" what if SM is infact canon?

Otherwise, according to SM Kaufmann is a well meening Shrink who genuinly wants to help Cheryl, and as you say mabey the only real Thing in the Game.

for the "what if?" to work, that detail must be Retconned in order for SM to fit with the Series, and unless its done right, it would be a huge mistake to do so.
Just Passing Through

Ret-con means "retroactive continuity."
uh....yeah, revealing something previously unknown, or believed to be Something else in a series....

another example would be Anne Rices Vampire Chronicels....each new Book Retcons the previous, and what you thought you knew is revealed to be wrong.....
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Another poor soul trying to convince themself that SM is canon. Tsk tsk.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>uh....yeah, revealing something previously unknown
No, that's not really true.

Retroactive continuity is the altering of previously established facts so as to compensate for new additions to a story.

Amid the Silent Hill series, two of the most popular ret-cons is the changing of Walter Sullivan's perception of "the red devil" from the r.p.t. to Jimmy Stone's hooded garment, and his hometown changing from Pleasant River to Ashfield.

Please don't double-post, by the way.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Just Passing Through

Exactly Right The Adversary, great in-Universe examples, and Sorry for the Double post, forgot about the whole edit button thingy
Another poor soul trying to convince themself that SM is canon. Tsk tsk.
I'm not trying to Convince myself...or anybody else, I simply asked what if?. . .And a flame war erupted

I Know, (for the millionth time) that SM is an alternate reality, all I'm saying is that at some point in the future some deleloper may ret con it, as being part of the Main series...I offered reasons/theories as to how they could do it

Suddenly BOOM i'm in the middle of an accidental Flame war. go figure!
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Well your thread title implies that you are certain that it is canon, and not that you are simply suggesting ways in which it could eventually become canon. Just pointing that out.
Just Passing Through

Fair enough, you got me on the Title of the Thread...guess that explains a lot. . .lol,

But I was openly inviting others to imput there own sugestions/Ideas regarding the Possibility, I could have worded it better though

Edit-Okay I edited the original Post, actually I only added a Question Mark at the end of the Title, this should clear up any misunderstanding I may have given to others, about what I was saying
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

This isn't a flame war. None of us are insulting you personally. We just don't like your idea. You posted and now you have to deal with the reactions. If you didn't want negative feedback, then you shouldn't have posted it.
Just Passing Through

mature.....Okay

calling it poorly writen....Stupid....Abomination,

yeah, it doent insult me personaly, just my intelligence right? what about the above is Constructive?

if you dont like something thats cool, but say exactly that...sarcasm and putdowns based on my writing ability are something else entirely

That I took offence to, dislike of my idea is not offensive to me in any way....thats exactly what I was trying to descuss in the first place...good or bad, did'nt matter, I want others opinions

but putdowns on me as a writer was unwelcomed. I guess I'm overly sensitive at times lol....
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Another reason why your idea isn't being well received is that the idea has been presented before, and with much better support than you're trying to give, and it was still shot down. You're not convincing anyone, you're not convincing yourself, and you're not bringing anything new or interesting to the table. It's an exercise in futility.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Just Passing Through

amen to that....lol, okay so its like a bone of contention with you guys....okay, I did'nt know that.....thats cool, i can understand that.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

You also type strangely, adding capital letters randomly then not capitalizing pronouns and beginnings of sentences. And so many ellipsis everywhere. Just saying, I am not a Stickler for perfect grammar/spelling, but the basics are nice. :wink:
Just Passing Through

OkAy...lol, yeah sorry I dont know why I do that.....
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Amid the Silent Hill series, two of the most popular ret-cons is the changing of Walter Sullivan's perception of "the red devil" from the r.p.t. to Jimmy Stone's hooded garment, and his hometown changing from Pleasant River to Ashfield.
Is the former a retcon, or a clarification? I don't remember this note in SH2, so I'm unsure, but does it ever outright state that it is Pyramid Head that Walter sees? I could've sworn it was simply implied because there was no other "Red Devil" we knew of.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

How much different is a "clarification" from a "ret-con"?

No, the newspaper doesn't explicitly state, "Walter Sullivan, convicted murderer, was stalked relentlessly Thursday evening by a man wearing a pyramid-shaped and metallic symbol of pain. He was reported as repeatedly saying, 'Holy fucking shit!' sources say."

The newspaper does indicate Walter accused "the red devil" of "trying to kill me. He's trying to punish me. The monster . . ."

At the time of SH2, there was no Valtiel, nor Jimmy Stone. Walter clearly meant the r.p.t. After all, Valtiel never tries to kill Walter.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

The Adversary wrote:How much different is a "clarification" from a "ret-con"?

No, the newspaper doesn't explicitly state, "Walter Sullivan, convicted murderer, was stalked relentlessly Thursday evening by a man wearing a pyramid-shaped and metallic symbol of pain. He was reported as repeatedly saying, 'Holy fucking shit!' sources say."

The newspaper does indicate Walter accused "the red devil" of "trying to kill me. He's trying to punish me. The monster . . ."

At the time of SH2, there was no Valtiel, nor Jimmy Stone. Walter clearly meant the r.p.t. After all, Valtiel never tries to kill Walter.
I was under the impression (from every other fandom I've been in) that retcon is when they actively change something, not expand on it. Does that make a bit more sense, with what I asked?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

It was a change, though, was it not? From the context of SH2 alone, were we, as fans, supposed to understand the writers meant "the red devil" was Jimmy Stone or Valtiel? No. In 2001, we were supposed to conclude "the red devil" was the r.p.t. But then SH4:TR was released, and that newspaper article's content was altered drastically by the inclusion of Walter Sullivan.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.