Video Reviews

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Darkness Concept
My Bestsellers Clerk

Video Reviews

Post by Darkness Concept »

I know that the one by IGN has been on here for awhile now, but surprisingly, there are a couple other video reviews up that I haven't seen posted on here.

The first is from Gametrailers, and the second is from Gamepro

There are no substantial spoilers in either one, so enjoy.

*If anyone knows of anymore, please add them*
There Was a Hole Here...
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/octaveorange/waiting.jpg[/img]
It's Gone Now.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I am amazed at how many good reviews this game is getting! I can't wait to get my hands on it in February
Darkness Concept
My Bestsellers Clerk

^Yet some of them (the gamepro link, for example) have been surprisingly low. Polarized fans I was expecting, but I didn't really consider that notion that mainstream reviewers would contrast one another so much.
There Was a Hole Here...
It's Gone Now.
Super Tuesday
Just Passing Through

Post by Super Tuesday »

The Gamepro review did seem pretty fair though. The wiimote control really needs to be more precise to justify more complicated puzzles. Losing your cursor and turning the way you don't want to is the most frustrating thing in the chase sequences. I wonder how much if any the wiimotion plus addon helps this.

The high scoring reviews will come from those that let the control problems go and enjoy the game, which is extremely unique. I really couldn't point to a game that is all that similar, either from the survival horror mold or the old pc adventure game genre.

Those Gametrailers framing cgi elements really annoy me. Pause the review, we need some cartoony characters doing generic videogame stuff for a bit...

edit:
Yea, perhaps I will move my stuff around a bit and see if that helps with motion control problems. I really think the hit or miss nature of reviews is coming down to people's patience with the chase sequences though, and some are just going to get frustrated, wish they had a nailbat, and give negative reviews as a result. I find the chases quite fun and tense when everything is working well. One thing that helps is not using the map as much, since that tends to get you caught, and the chase maps are pretty well designed to keep you roughly on course.
Last edited by Super Tuesday on 18 Dec 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

Super Tuesday wrote:The Gamepro review did seem pretty fair though. The wiimote control really needs to be more precise to justify more complicated puzzles. Losing your cursor and turning the way you don't want to is the most frustrating thing in the chase sequences. I wonder how much if any the wiimotion plus addon helps this.

The high scoring reviews will come from those that let the control problems go and enjoy the game, which is extremely unique. I really couldn't point to a game that is all that similar, either from the survival horror mold or the old pc adventure game genre.

Those Gametrailers framing cgi elements really annoy me. Pause the review, we need some cartoony characters doing generic videogame stuff for a bit...
The Motionplus affects nothing if there's no support in the game for it, I believe.
Darkness Concept
My Bestsellers Clerk

^See I didn't experience any of these problems when I played it. I found it to be very smooth and responsive, and I never lost my cursor or turned a way that wasn't intended. Could it be a matter of wii settings and IR placement?
There Was a Hole Here...
It's Gone Now.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

More likely somebody not used to using the Wii. When you've been using the console for a while it's easy to get used to where the pointer ends etc. whilst when you first try it it can be quite difficult to get used to the pointer. My Mum has a Wii (used to be mine) and whenever she has guests to play it it takes them forever to find the infrared, but for me and her it's instant.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

Yahtzee's review of the game from Zero Punctuation.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... d-Memories

I love his harsh reviews of the games, even funnier when people try to take them seriously. :mrgreen:
Numb Body01
Historical Society Historian

Post by Numb Body01 »

Was just about to post this. :P Tbh, I think he's completely right (although I know his negative opinions are always heightened for comedic purposes).
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I never did like him very much. He makes me laugh from time to time, but he is more of a comedian than a reviewer. I also disagree with a lot of what he says. For example, "there isn't enough blood"? Really? That matters to you?
emFox
Just Passing Through

Post by emFox »

NanayaShiki wrote:I never did like him very much. He makes me laugh from time to time, but he is more of a comedian than a reviewer. I also disagree with a lot of what he says. For example, "there isn't enough blood"? Really? That matters to you?
I think it's less about the blood and more about a threatening environment. Shattered Memories' environment wasn't threatening to him because a) everything's colored blue (which is a calming color), and b) the monsters aren't overtly physically threatening. And I agree: for those same reasons, along with the sharp divide between the dangerous Otherworld and safe normal world, I felt absolutely no sense of fear throughout the game. I still really enjoyed it, though.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I would accept that, if he didn't specifically mention the lack of blood as a fault.
emFox
Just Passing Through

Post by emFox »

NanayaShiki wrote:I would accept that, if he didn't specifically mention the lack of blood as a fault.
He went on to emphasize the lack of grotesquerie afterwards, and I have to agree with him. Even Silent Hill 2 had some pretty horrifying elements even if the walls weren't turning into organic flesh and bleeding like in 3 or bloody-rust in 1. The monsters, for one, were pretty vile, and some of the trashier environments (like the apartments) had a sickly feel to them as well as an empty and abandoned one. So blood is just one aspect of a whole that he touched upon.

Otherwise, the concept behind the gameplay in Shattered Memories is great. Maybe if instead of Raw Shocks latching onto you and just holding you, they attempted to tear you apart, and the main character takes actual physical damage from it. Even if it's just appearances, it's far more effective than a limp.