Boobies

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

AnastasisXD
Hope House Careworker

Boobies

Post by AnastasisXD »

so, Dahlia's boobs where named Sid and Nancy by Harry, refering to Sex Pistols ofcourse. however, how true is that? i mean, did harry really named em like that, or was it just in cheryl's head? why would she name her mother's breasts anyway? an answer could be that cheryl is a SP fan herself.
what do you think?
Thanatos
Just Passing Through

Post by Thanatos »

Sorry, but I have to admit that I don`t know what "Sex pistols" means. Please enlighten me.
Daisukenojo
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Daisukenojo »

^It's a band.
[quote="Catch22"]Wait, wasn't the guy in the trailer wearing a shirt? You know who else wore a shirt? Hitler.

Hitler confirmed as SH6 protagonist.[/quote]
Thanatos
Just Passing Through

Post by Thanatos »

Oh okay.

Then I`m sorry, I can`t help you. Please dont hate me.

*dies*
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Hah, i missed that bit.. i thought it sounded familiar xD
To be honest when she said "my tits" i thought she was joking, until harry took it seriously, i started laughing...
First of all: Best thread title ever.
But yeah it seems they like refrencing rock bands in silent hill. You already read about Mary's letter and Bon Jovi?
And there was another refrence i cant remember now..
AnastasisXD
Hope House Careworker

Post by AnastasisXD »

yeah, i lol'd too on that. it was one of the best scenes in SM :P
i've read that mary was a bon jovi fan. maybe those are nothing more than just easter eggs
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I doubt it was something that actually happened in reality; how would Cheryl learn about it? "Oh Cheryl, I wish your father hadn't died after that divorce! I still remember the time he named my tits."

Seriously.

Most likely, it's something she just made up to fit the Dahlia she was creating.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Thanatos wrote:Sorry, but I have to admit that I don`t know what "Sex pistols" means. Please enlighten me.
1970s English punk band. Members were John Lydon (Johnny Rotten), Steve Jones, Paul Cook, and Glenn Matlock, who was later replaced by John Simon Ritchie (a.k.a. Sid Vicious). During the band's short, two-year touring career, they gained notoriety for their inflammatory lyrics (most famously in the songs "Anarchy in the U.K." and "God Save the Queen"), boorish attitude, and violent stage performances. So far as conservative English society was concerned, the Pistols represented everything that was wrong with modern youth. Thanks to their manager/impresario Malcolm McLaren, this image was played up as much as possible, which understandably hindered any musical growth the group could've achieved.

What the Pistols did have to their advantage, though, was their artistic integrity. All of them were working class youths who, in the midst of a major recession, had no prospects and no hope, as well as no respect for the upper classes that pretended nothing was wrong. Their music channeled that anger and became, no exaggeration, the battle cry of a generation. Stylistically, their embracing of the simple-chord structure and short song duration with no solos was in direct opposition to the long rock anthems that had grown from the hipster movement, which the punks saw as ultimately hypocritical.

"Sid and Nancy," as Dahlia's tits refer to, is in reference to the destructive romance between Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen, a drug-addled groupie who also doubled as Sid's dealer. Think John and Yoko, except with heroin: the other band members hated her, tried to get rid of her, but the fact of the matter was the two were codependent. After the band broke up, Sid tried to go solo, with Nancy as his girlfriend/dealer/manager, with no real success. Then, one day, Nancy was found dead in their apartment and Sid was arraigned for her murder. The trial never commenced, though: once Sid got out on bail, he overdosed on heroin and died.

Since then, the drama of Sid and Nancy has become the most disgustingly overromanticized trainwreck relationships of modern music. It's Romeo and Juliet for the self-destructive. That's what the reference means, and what it means to Harry and Dahlia's relationship.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

I think it was added to make Dahlia seem more a whoreish monster, depending on your profile. You can recall that her attitude gets somewhat bad towards the frozen river crash scene, adding to her delusion of her mother being a monster, "her" referring to Cheryl of course, lol.

It could be possible that Cheryl becomes an SP fan after Harry's death.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I think Kenji's interpretation fits better.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

yes, kenjis interpritation does seem to fit nicely. its not unlikely that someone in the crew that developed the game knew of the SP and that whole story, and i dont think thats something theyd throw in with no reason.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
NightlyOne
Just Passing Through

Post by NightlyOne »

AuraTwilight wrote:I think Kenji's interpretation fits better.
I agree. It's a really solid interpretation at that.

I've never listened to Sex Pistols, and I really didn't know any history about them until Kenji's post. It definitely makes a lot of sense, especially when presented in the context of Shattered Memories.
AnastasisXD
Hope House Careworker

Post by AnastasisXD »

yeah, it makes sence
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

Sergiy wrote:But yeah it seems they like refrencing rock bands in silent hill. You already read about Mary's letter and Bon Jovi?
In 0rigins, there's a pinball machine with Kiss on it...or some other band. I'm pretty sure it was Kiss.

This apparently references members of Sonic Youth.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/f011980/45.jpg

And there's this.
http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/PTV
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Let's not forget the constant references to Sonic Youth, namely Kim Gordon. :)

Anyway, thanks for the props, people. As you might imagine, I have an appreciation of the Pistols, though I never thought my knowledge of them would ever come out on this board. :P They're something of an acquired taste, but everyone should listen to "Anarchy in the U.K." and "God Save the Queen," as they're irreplaceable parts of music history.

If you want to know more about Sid and Nancy, I'll point you to the two extreme opposite interpretations of their romance. One is the Alex Cox film, Sid and Nancy, starring Gary Oldman (yes, Commissioner Gordon), which depicts their relationship with all the troubled romanticism that has become attached to it. On the other side is John Lydon, band vocalist and Sid's friend, who had this to say about the relationship and the aforementioned movie:
John Lydon wrote:October 12th, Thursday, a gloriously depressing day for some. 1978, it's the arrest of Sid Vicious, poor old Sid gets collared in his Chelsea Hotel apartment in New York, for the fatal stabbing of his girlfriend Neeeancy Spungeeen, BITCH! This was one of the worst creatures to walk gods earth. I don't know if Sid did kill Nancy, it would be nice and romantic to think he did, but the reality I think is a little different it was all pathetic and awful…

It takes me of course to the 'Sid and Nancy' film, which a lot of people refer to as being factual, which indeed was not. If you knew anything about the demise of Sid and Nancy they died several, several months, if like anything up to a year beforehand, because of the heroin, and the drug taking, just the sordid squalor of it all, and the movie of course glamorised all that with that stupid riding off to heaven at the end stuff, I thought sadly sickeningly depressing, 'cos if you really want to deal with drug addicts in this world, treat them as they should be treated, with the utmost disrespect, you do not need to go this way, and I passed this information onto a lot of the Seattle scene, there is nothing glorious in squalor, it's an affectation which none of you chaps wear well, and results in your deaths, and I don't mean to lecture but I have a very low tolerance of idiocy, unless you want a hole in the ground that's not the way to go… there I've pontificated!
Incidentally, I remember another interview he gave, I think it was featured on The Filth and the Fury, where it becomes clear that John feels responsible for Sid's death, since he's the one who suggested that Sid join the band.

If it's not already clear, the romanticization of the story bugs me. What happened to Sid happened because he was unprepared for what the punk scene, and especially being a Pistol, brought with it. It's a sad story filled with human frailty and to romanticize it like My Chemical Romance's (and, I swear to God, everyone else's) misconceptions of Romeo and Juliet just feels... wrong.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, Sid and Nancy have pretty much taken the role of the modern Romeo and Juliet, both being "romances" where people fail to realize that the couplings were disastrously destructive, unhealthy, and ultimately soulless.
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Eric-3 wrote:
Sergiy wrote:But yeah it seems they like refrencing rock bands in silent hill. You already read about Mary's letter and Bon Jovi?
In 0rigins, there's a pinball machine with Kiss on it...or some other band. I'm pretty sure it was Kiss.

This apparently references members of Sonic Youth.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/f011980/45.jpg

And there's this.
http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/PTV
Ah, i've never played origins, therefore i missed this =p
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

Even if you played it, it's not blatantly in-your-face or anything. You have to be going up to the pinball machine yourself and looking at it. Travis doesn't comment on it as far as I recall, nor is it required to go near it.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

If it wasn't Kiss then it was Mötley Crüe. Perhaps because, if I'm not mistaken, both were known to have pinball machine games.
Droo

Post by Droo »

AuraTwilight wrote:Yea, Sid and Nancy have pretty much taken the role of the modern Romeo and Juliet, both being "romances" where people fail to realize that the couplings were disastrously destructive, unhealthy, and ultimately soulless.
Don't forget Twilight!
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"