Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 17 Nov 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Does this work well as a predecessor to Silent Hill 3?

Missing since: 09 May 2010
Notes left: 48
Yes I know it came after but it is a remake (or whatever) of Silent Hill 1, and SH3 is a sequel to 1. And the only way I can play one is by purchasing an Old ps1 or ps2. So does SH:SM work as a good replacement for a desperate person like me, does it work as a predecessor (even though it TECHNICALLY ain't) to SH3?

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3229
No, not at all. It's not a remake of SH1. It doesn't tie into any of the other games on a story canon way. Shattered Memories is completely standalone.

You can play SH3 without playing the first SH though. You might miss out on some details, but they fill you in on the main important things. If you really want to play the first game first though, they do have it on the PSN, if you have a PS3 or PSP.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
It doesn't work; it's not that it's not connected, it's that it completely contradicts it.

You can play SH3 before playing SH1; you'll miss out on some details, though. I'd suggest, if you have a PS3 or PSP, getting the original SH from the PSN. If not, you could read a story digest.

I'm curious, though: you seem to imply you don't have a PS2, so why are you asking about SH3? It's only for PS2.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Sep 2008
Notes left: 356
Last seen at: Pennsylvania
Yuki wrote:
I'm curious, though: you seem to imply you don't have a PS2, so why are you asking about SH3? It's only for PS2.

But yeah, Shattered Memories does not work at all as a substitution for the original Silent Hill.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Oct 2006
Notes left: 465
Yeah - for one thing they have totally different stories.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Shattered Memories benefits from people having already played SH1 and SH3 in the same way SH3 expects you to have played SH1, though all three titles can really standalone. I'd recommend that if all else fails, emulate SH1 or watch a playthrough of it on Youtube.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Yuki wrote:
It doesn't work; it's not that it's not connected, it's that it completely contradicts it.

You can play SH3 before playing SH1; you'll miss out on some details, though. I'd suggest, if you have a PS3 or PSP, getting the original SH from the PSN. If not, you could read a story digest.

I do have Ps3 and Ps2, but Silent Hill doesn't play right on either. Ps3 there's the sound glitch and I refuse to play with that annoying ringing sound, and for some reason it won't work on my Ps2. Technology! Silent Hill cost me 30 friggin , I'll pry save for a ps1 or 2 or something cause I NEED to play it, but thanks for the feedback.

Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
Dear goodness no!
SM is meant to be played after the both and has absolutely nothing to do with the story. You could play it if you want before SH3, but that would be a bit cheesy. So I would say, Play SH3!

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
I agree with Aura. Emulate (legally) or watch a Let's Play (makes it more entertaining) of SH1, buy SH3, and then play Shattered Memories. SM doesn't have anything to do with SH3 or SH1, it's a whole new story not related to anything.

They can stand alone, but it would be really beneficial to play SH1 before playing SH3, with SM afterwards.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 May 2010
Notes left: 279
You can download the game off the PSN network. I've played through it many times that way, and I never encountered any glitches.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1015
Last seen at: In your fridge
Imnotazombie wrote:
Yuki wrote:

I do have Ps3 and Ps2, but Silent Hill doesn't play right on either. Ps3 there's the sound glitch and I refuse to play with that annoying ringing sound, and for some reason it won't work on my Ps2. Technology! Silent Hill cost me 30 friggin , I'll pry save for a ps1 or 2 or something cause I NEED to play it, but thanks for the feedback.

Like the person above me said, the PSN version that you download in the store doesn't have the sound glitch. That's weird that SH doesn't work on your PS2 though. Do you have the slim or do you have the original? I've got the giant brick version and it works fine on mine.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

I have the original, its aged about 5 years now.

Post subject:

Imnotazombie wrote:
I have the original, its aged about 5 years now.

That IS really weird that it's not working; my slim and my original both work fine with original PSX games. Is your disc scratched up at all? Or the lens in the PS2 dirty?

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Oct 2006
Notes left: 465
I still play the first from time to time, I still enjoy it and still find it rather scary.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

My disc is fine, cause it works on my Ps3 but do to my ps3 something makes it glitch. Whats a Ps2 lens? But I think I may end up just downloading Silent Hill from PsN, I know it used to have the same glitch but apparently it works fine now so I'd assume they put up an update for it or something. Are you guys ONE HUNDRED PERCENT sure that when ever you shoot the teradactal at the beginning with the pistol that there isn't a ringing sound? I believe you guys but I just want to make sure, so I don't waste anymore money.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 May 2010
Notes left: 279
Nope, no glitches at all. It's a really smooth port. The graphics are slightly upscaled too, but the ps3 would do that to the original disc version as well.

you can also play it on the psp if you so wish.

It's possible to play the game on the pc though, if you'd rather not pay for the game again. Since you own the game, I don't think there would be any reason to feel guilty about it. Just google it. Something like, "Silent hill on PC".

Post subject:

Imnotazombie wrote:
My disc is fine, cause it works on my Ps3 but do to my ps3 something makes it glitch. Whats a Ps2 lens? But I think I may end up just downloading Silent Hill from PsN, I know it used to have the same glitch but apparently it works fine now so I'd assume they put up an update for it or something. Are you guys ONE HUNDRED PERCENT sure that when ever you shoot the teradactal at the beginning with the pistol that there isn't a ringing sound? I believe you guys but I just want to make sure, so I don't waste anymore money.

I would second that it shouldn't be too big a deal to find the game for free, honestly; it would be the same, in my eyes, if you changed the format of your PSX disc to something else, which I'm fairly sure IS legal.

The PS2 lens... well, you have a fat PS2 if I remember correctly, so it's a bit harder to see. I'd suggest going and buying an inexpensive laser lens cleaner from an electronics store and trying that. Then again, if SH1 is the only game that's glitching for you, I have no idea what's wrong.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Yeah I think I'll just PsN it, I wouldn't be losing any money either by doing so as I could sell my copy of Silent Hill to my used game store. I know it could be put on my Computer but I'm stupid when it comes to that emulator stuff, and the pc controls would be way to hard to adapt to for THAT type of game. THANKS for the help!

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Nov 2009
Notes left: 698
Last seen at: Room 312
No, it aint illegal if you actually own the game...
ROMs are great.

This trick to PS1 emulations is gettin the BIOS, and stuff, i could help you if you decide to get it for PC after all.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Dec 2006
Notes left: 879
Last seen at: Edinburgh, UK
I'm glad you are going to play SH1 first. It makes me cringe when I see people playing SM in place of SH1 so I'm really glad you are playing that one first.

It will definitely enhance your SM experience too.