Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 22 Jul 2018




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1068
Last seen at: Upsate NY
Okay, so I love this interview for totally selfish reasons. IE. Tomm vindicated my feelings and ideas about the game, because they match up with his apparent intentions. I was always one of those people who didn't like the 'it was all in Cheryl's head' and the 'they're all the same Harry' and hated feeling like I was wrong.

So... yay I guess. :D *waves a little flag*


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
To be fair, he only vindicated one of your feelings of those too. :P He goes out of his way to note that both ideas (Harry's a construct/imaginary), and just picks his favorite.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1068
Last seen at: Upsate NY
Oh yeah, I mean, I know the other ways are totally valid (and really convincing); it's just that he lends *any* credence at all to my opinions that makes me happy. :)


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
...Yea, but he lends credence to all opinions. :P Except for my "all endings are true" idea.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1068
Last seen at: Upsate NY
Quote:
...Yea, but he lends credence to all opinions.


Exactly. He's not telling me "no you're wrong". XD


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Tomm Hullett wrote:
Personally I take a different approach, and imagine that Harry is a Maria-esque manifestation that roams the town, Cybil is a real police officer, etc. In this instance, all these messages are just creepy/skeevy/strange things that happened, and their echoes have remained trapped by the town. Since Harry is somewhat of a spirit, he can hear/see remnants of these events, and the true character of the town rather than the outside appearance that people might work to keep nice and happy. He sees some that involve Cheryl directly, like the mall thief – this is him slowly retracing his daughter’s steps on his search. Others he just happens to pick up along the way. If you take this view, you’ll have to decide for yourself which events are Cheryl and which aren’t.


THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING SINCE THE GAME CAME OUT.

Thank you for validating the theory, Tomm. It's nice to be correct in the face of fierce opposition sometimes.

_________________
"I dreamt last night I saw you
A single spark explosion negotiating with the dead
By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2009
Notes left: 648
^He didn’t say it to be true though, he said that he likes to think that it is.

But if it was; How do you explain Cybil popping up under the bridge or at the lighthouse just in the nick of time? Or her freezing over twice and not noticing that something’s off? She doesn’t even mention the fact that Harry twice disappeared in front of her eyes.

How did Lisa get Harry’s number? How does she sometimes know about Harry having a daughter without him telling her? How do you explain sleaze and sirens?

How did Michelle get Harry’s number? How do you explain her disappearing act, or, again the sleaze and sirens ending?

The only characters Harry meets that could be real are the Stewarts (although they interact with nice!Cybil) and the barmaid.


If they all really are real, the SH:SM is the most poorly thought-out and written Silent Hill game up to date.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1068
Last seen at: Upsate NY
Quote:
But if it was; How do you explain Cybil popping up under the bridge or at the lighthouse just in the nick of time?


Either legitimate good luck, or the Town placing Harry in the right place to get rescued.

Quote:
Or her freezing over twice and not noticing that something’s off? She doesn’t even mention the fact that Harry twice disappeared in front of her eyes.


Perhaps she didn't freeze over, but rather that was what Harry perceived as he transitioned to the Otherworld. Also, by the time we're in a position for her to react (the rescue sequence) she's got stranger things to say to him.

Quote:
How did Lisa get Harry’s number?


My guess is that either Lisa is *also* a manifestation of the Town, or it isn't her calling him, but the Town calling him on her behalf.

Quote:
How does she sometimes know about Harry having a daughter without him telling her?


Another point in favor of Lisa being a manifestation of the Town. BUT I don't remember her knowing about Cheryl, so I'd need some elaboration before commenting further.

Quote:
How do you explain sleaze and sirens?


I don't. It always seemed the "odd man out" ending to me.

Quote:
How did Michelle get Harry’s number?


Town.

Quote:
How do you explain her disappearing act.


She didn't disappear, Harry did.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Everything we see in the game is Harry being directed by Cheryl's unfolding narrative in her therapy sessions. The town is likely making Cybil and everyone else act as they do and go where they are to fit the story.

_________________
"I dreamt last night I saw you
A single spark explosion negotiating with the dead
By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2009
Notes left: 648
Quote:
Either legitimate good luck, or the Town placing Harry in the right place to get rescued.


The thing is, he swam to the place where Cybil found him on his own, he doesn’t randomly spawn, and he came to the lighthouse for a reason.

Actually, Cybil randomly finds Harry three times. I forgot about Lisa’s apartment.

Quote:
Perhaps she didn't freeze over, but rather that was what Harry perceived as he transitioned to the Otherworld. Also, by the time we're in a position for her to react (the rescue sequence) she's got stranger things to say to him.


That seems a bit stretched. Try calling her after she freezes. “Harry are you still in the hospital?” “You want to help someone, then turn yourself in.”
No “OMGWTFHarryHoudini?!?!”. Just, “Yo, you still here? We need to talk.”


Quote:
Another point in favor of Lisa being a manifestation of the Town. BUT I don't remember her knowing about Cheryl, so I'd need some elaboration before commenting further.


While walking she goes, “So, tell me about your daughter.” While Harry never mentioned having a daughter. Kind of like Maria calling James by name without him introducing himself to her. And we all know what she ended up being.

Also, Cybil interacts with Lisa, wouldn’t that make her a manifestation as well?

Quote:
Quote:
How did Michelle get Harry’s number?
Town.


And for what purpose does the town call Harry in Michelle’s name? She doesn’t derail him, or help him in any way over the phone. The call and the text are just kind of, there…

Quote:
She didn't disappear, Harry did.


Fair enough.


Droo wrote:
Everything we see in the game is Harry being directed by Cheryl's unfolding narrative in her therapy sessions. The town is likely making Cybil and everyone else act as they do and go where they are to fit the story.


That's an interesting idea. The only problems are the sleaze and sirens, the fact that the town has never before acted that way and the Occam's razor


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
If you have to invoke that Cheryl somehow has mind control powers, your theory needs work. My two cents.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1068
Last seen at: Upsate NY
Quote:
If you have to invoke that Cheryl somehow has mind control powers, your theory needs work.


But she....does. Cause. ya know....Alessa?


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3227
Shattered Memories =/= Silent Hill 1


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1068
Last seen at: Upsate NY
Quote:
Shattered Memories =/= Silent Hill 1


And? There are points of continuity between the two. Whose to say Cheryl/Alessa's powers AREN'T there? After all, she had to have *some* way to conjure Harry (a la Maria) subconscious or not.


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3227
If Harry was conjured (that's not a stated fact just because he likes the idea) then it would be the town that did it.

There is no Alessa in this game because Silent Hill 1 did not happen. Harry is Cheryl's real birth father. You can't just make things up and base theories on that.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Sirens & Sleaze is easy to explain. Michelle and Lisa APPEAR in the story as their younger selves, when in fact they are really older, due to Cheryl's memory of how they appeared in the videotape.

_________________
"I dreamt last night I saw you
A single spark explosion negotiating with the dead
By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
1) When did Alessa Gillespie have mind control powers?

2) Michelle and Lisa were young adults 18 years ago. Assuming they're...both 24, let's say, that would make them both 42 or so. Doesn't seem congruous with their dialogue. Michelle treats Harry like he's way older than her, old enough to be her father in fact, and remarks about wanting to start a family later when her biological clock is almost over.

That, and why wouldn't Lisa and Michelle recognize Harry in a Sleaze and Siren run?

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3227
I still stand by it all being in Cheryl's head, personally. I like the idea of it really happening through the Town's power. But I like the idea of it all being Cheryl's delusion even more.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
It doesn't make sense to me to have EVERYONE be real. I like the idea of Harry as a construct, but having Michelle and Lisa be real doesn't make any sense. Cybil being real COULD potentially be plausible; I chaulk it up to good luck and maybe Silent Hill guiding her, with the only problem being the freezing (though I don't think we ever get a confirmation that it's only constructs that freeze). The Stewarts, though... they act as if Harry is a little kid, which doesn't make any sense at all.

Also, remember, for our rule that real people cannot make contact with constructs: this isn't the old Silent Hill; it's a separate universe, by our terms of canon (as opposed to Tomm's).

_________________
Image
Beyond the Joystick - game reviews, plot recaps, and more
http://beyond-the-joystick.blogspot.com - Also on Tumblr!


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
(though I don't think we ever get a confirmation that it's only constructs that freeze)


Outside of Cybil, everything else frozen is a confirmed construct. Harry, Dahlia, the Raw Shocks...

There's precedent, and literally zero reason to go against it.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: