How did you feel when the game ended?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Arachnid1
Just Passing Through

Re: How did you feel when the game ended?

Post by Arachnid1 »

I was very thoroughly mind fucked. My jaw dropped when I realized what was going on. I felt really bad for Cheryl. I was kind of hoping the game would have a happy ending the entire time and that Harry would be reunited with his girl but then I find out that Harry was dead the entire time and that the entire game was all in Cheryls head? Man, that was almost brutal to watch.

On the plus side, it was semi-happy because now Cheryl gets to move on with her life (which is what her closing the box full of mementos meant I think. This game was pretty awesome. I'm bummed that there was no final boss or something, but it was still pretty cool. That last icy world with with the long staircases and the huge falls was kind of a trip too. That felt like classic SH. Hopefully, SH games keep up the quality on the amazing stories with SH8.
SilentFantasy
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentFantasy »

Honestly, I had a lot of emotions going on. I was pissed, sad and happy.
Pissed because of the ending, when all of it was just her sitting in Dr. K's office. Which led me to possibly think that all of the other Silent Hill's including her and Harry, and even Origins was just a lie. Like, "Ohey, ya know, We made this huge long cult and all these extra people just to weave a huge web, and NONE OF IT WAS REAL!"
Sad because of the connection she had with Harry and how the game ended.
Happy because, well, I was happy to see Cheryl and how much she looked like Heather xD

When the game ended I thought that everything was just one big game, literally. I was disappointed, but I still loved the game.
The UFO ending was a huge reason why the whole thing disappointed me, too.
It was a great game though, and the music was just lovely as well. I have to agree with some of you when you say that more monsters should have been involved. The Raw Shocks were cool and all, but I love me some variety.
My Mollyanne, due March 15th!
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I mainly felt pissed that I had spent money on this game, as opposed to renting it first. Although I thought the ending was clever, it also left me feeling kind of unsatisfied, because Harry only exists as a conceit to run around through Cheryl's memories. That's a bit too meta for a horror game to me. I would prefer that the main character be real, so that I can actually identify with him. But, whatever... that's just me. I was also pissed because putting aside the story, the actual game mechanics make SM one of the most boring and least scary horror games I've ever played.

Also, my expectations were quite high when I bought SM. So I guess I'd have to say the biggest emotion I felt after the game was finished was enormous disappointment.
SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SasaYamaoka »

I felt sorry for the Cheryl ... for her lonelines.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

There was a mixture of surprise, relief, and anger.

The ending comes SO abruptly. There is no lapse between playing and the ending. You have no idea you're at the ending. You just open a door, and BOOM, you win! Or well... lose. lol. I wanted a big finale chase, or a kind of boss scenario. SOMETHING to let you know, YES, you've accomplished something and are now rewarded with the ending! There is nothing like that at all. However, after finishing it the second time, I felt relieved to get the ending I chose instead of just playing aimlessly like my first time through. And then, even MORE satisfied when I got that alien ending.

I wish there was one more hurrah though!
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

This ending snuck up on me and caught me so off guard. I knew what was coming when I first entered
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
the lighthouse
, though. The
abstract pictures on the walls
looked strikingly familiar.... I was very shocked, sick, scared, mortified, excited, stressed, morose....it was very exhilarating, yet terrifying in all its suddenness.

One of the best SH endings to date. Besides SH 1's Bad Bad Bad ending, SH2's I
n Water ending
, and SH4's worst ending too.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Well, someone likes the Bad Endings, huh?

I've never gotten one before, but I've looked them up. They're... different. I've only got Good, or Good+... and UFO. lol
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Lahkesis
Just Passing Through

Post by Lahkesis »

The twist was already spoiled for me because I looked it up on Wikipedia. Still, I get sad every time I finish. I really wished that it wasn't true.
Yiyo-chan
Just Passing Through

Post by Yiyo-chan »

Terribly sad. Not only 'cause the story IS sad, but "Acceptance" playing in the background did it for me.
Also, the first ending i got was Wicked n Weak; when Harry looks at the camera ... I was all OMG.. NO... my heart. I wanted to hug everyone and solve all their problems.
DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

I was pretty stunned by this game. I think it stays in line with the originals of the Silent HIll series. Well made. when I saw the ending, it only got better. When I was finished with it, I thought that Shattered memories was far more creepy and emotional than Homecomming.
Goodbye Silent HIll!
(Please Mr. Admin, banish me)
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

I have to say it is at least on par with SH2 with the emotionality of the ending. No matter which one you get (UFO aside), the ending is pretty hard to accept.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I still find Shattered Memories to be more heartrending, and I used to have to deal with horrible illness like Mary, and I've never lost either of my parents.

Damn, Climax.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

Oh god I was really sad. I felt SOOOO sorry for Cheryl. I just wanted to reach out to her and give her a warm hug. Yeah, I'm a sap.

I was also really surprised. I never saw that twist coming. My brain literally had been torn apart. But after trying to put my brain together, everything I had just witnessed throughout the game all started to make SENSE. I was like "Wow, this game is a masterpiece!". I really like how this game hearkens back to the subtle and emotional psychological story-telling of Silent Hill 2, where you have to put the pieces together yourself in order for the plot to make sense. I have, to say, Climax did such a wonderful job on this game! Definitely better than Homecoming and Origins.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
xyinparadise
Just Passing Through

Post by xyinparadise »

It was really sad but a good ending. after watching it I was like: "let's play again!"
After that I got the easiest ending -_-
HA BISKY!!!
Miette
Just Passing Through

Post by Miette »

I was pretty mind-fucked, but I loved it!
Last edited by Miette on 15 Feb 2011, edited 1 time in total.
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
mrnitsua
Just Passing Through

Post by mrnitsua »

The twist really struck home for me. My parents are seprate and they fight. I used to be depressed until I accepted it. I got the Lov Lost ending but with the Delusional Cheyl encounter. I creid for a good 3 minutes because it made me realise how I could have ended up like Cheyl.
The Otherworld, a place that sees no dawn, only dusk.
Don, Aman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Don, Aman »

I was simply struck speechless. My friend and I were running through our respective copies at about the same time and I was the first to get to the end. He walked into the room and immediately had a hundred questions, but I couldn't say anything. I just sat there open-mouthed and wide-eyed. Absolutely sublime storytelling. I felt like someone punched me in the gut with the world's saddest fist. I guess it's because my first ending was Wicked and Weak, and Harry reminded me too much of someone I know.
Don stepped outside... It feels good to be alone... He wished he was drunk...
Lumkins
Just Passing Through

Post by Lumkins »

Like everyone else, it made me pretty emotional. Once Kaufmann became a little more specific with his gender pronouns, my mind just started racing. I spent the entire credits, not just reading the profile the game had written about me, but also going back over the game in my mind, realizing that all of those echoes were somehow connected to Cheryl.
Loud&Silent
Just Passing Through

Post by Loud&Silent »

I absolutely loved it. One of the best endings for a game I ever experienced. I felt sorrow, and realized that my parents weren't any more special than anybody else; they're still human. Plus, its one of those twist ending that gives you a different and clearer outlook on the game within a story wise, but as a whole too; Since you could see SM as a SIDE-SEQUEL to the first Silent Hill, in which Silent Hill 3 is based on the Good ending which harry escapes with Cheryl, and SM is based on the Bad ending (my personal favorite) which Harry died in the car crash.

.....wait, didn't Harry's wife die in SH1? errrrr....NO, um, wait. What BS can I makeup?.....GOT IT! Harry was married to Dahlia, divorced, and married another woman, she died, he died, and custody went to the original mother, Dahlia. Yep, that explains everyth-wait, wasn't Cheryl found on the side of the road? DAMN IT! Well, I still love the ending, and even still think its a side sequel (even if it doesn't make any sense....and i was soo close too!)
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair? About seven years old? A Bastard Child? May or may not be the Mother of God/Satan?.........Shes my Daughter.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Or there's just no plot connection.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]