How did you feel when the game ended?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Re: How did you feel when the game ended?

Post by lain of the wired »

^Ever hear of the parallel universe(s) idea? Where in the alternate universe(s), everything is there and everyone is there as they are here, but slightly different in each universe? SM is SH1's parallel universe.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

I was disappointed that I had been right. Right at the very beginning whey Harry crashes the car and it obvious that Cheryl wasn't in it, I looked at my fiancé and said "Hey, Cheryl wasn't in the car... Betcha' Harrys dead." That doesn't eradicate the emotional impact of the story but it did blunt it a bit.

I was pretty disappointed that they went with the "oh noes, ur/they're dead!" thing yet again. But I was relieved that it was a one-off story with no connection to the other games.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

46n2 wrote:I was disappointed that I had been right. Right at the very beginning whey Harry crashes the car and it obvious that Cheryl wasn't in it, I looked at my fiancé and said "Hey, Cheryl wasn't in the car... Betcha' Harrys dead." That doesn't eradicate the emotional impact of the story but it did blunt it a bit.

I was pretty disappointed that they went with the "oh noes, ur/they're dead!" thing yet again. But I was relieved that it was a one-off story with no connection to the other games.
I liked the way they used the "you're dead!" storyline in Shattered Memories, but I do agree that it was /wayyyyy/ too obvious that Cheryl hadn't been in the car in the first place.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

SHSM has IMO one of the best end twists of the whole series alongside with SH2. I felt so sad, Harry was so gentle and sweet in this game, It was a very sad ending.
soft_cell
Just Passing Through

Post by soft_cell »

So I just completed the game just now.

I was shocked about this ending, I was so hung up on finding her but to find out it was Cheryl in the psych. after all that time... kinda a let down and quite confusing.

I don't understand this story much...actually, I don't get it at all :(

If this was all in Cheryl's head... why is she in for Psychatric help? Also, if this is her memories, what do the monsters chasing Harry have to do with anything? Where is that coming from?

Also, I got the Sleazy ending... oh yeah!
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

soft_cell wrote:So I just completed the game just now.

I was shocked about this ending, I was so hung up on finding her but to find out it was Cheryl in the psych. after all that time... kinda a let down and quite confusing.

I don't understand this story much...actually, I don't get it at all :(

If this was all in Cheryl's head... why is she in for Psychatric help? Also, if this is her memories, what do the monsters chasing Harry have to do with anything? Where is that coming from?

Also, I got the Sleazy ending... oh yeah!
She's in for help because it's in her head. She's in denial that her father actually died all those years ago, and Kaufmann is there to try and break through and get her to accept reality.

The monsters chasing Harry symbolize Cheryl's inner desire to keep him with her. They appear whenever Harry gets closer to the truth, and hug him and try to freeze him (or, stop that moment in time so he can't get further from Cheryl).

It's not her memories, exactly. The echo messages you hear throughout the game are parts of her life, but Harry himself running around isn't a memory. I personally like to think that he's a manifestation of Cheryl's psyche running around in a real Silent Hill, but others may think otherwise. He's basically a... I'm not sure how to phrase it, exactly. I want to say "metaphor", but that's not quite right. He's the manifestation of Cheryl wanting to keep her father alive. He doesn't actually exist, and presumably we're playing her metaphorical journey to discovering that Harry is actually dead. (Er, that is to say, Cheryl's not telling her psychologist "Oh, then Daddy saw monsters, and he ran away from them, and....".)
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Yuki wrote:(Er, that is to say, Cheryl's not telling her psychologist "Oh, then Daddy saw monsters, and he ran away from them, and....".)
If she did, I'd chuck the glass at the wall and yell at her, too. :P
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That'd be hilarious though and I have now decided to believe that happens.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AuraTwilight wrote:That'd be hilarious though and I have now decided to believe that happens.
I can see it now...
Kaufmann: "Sex is death, the tiger in space."
Cheryl: "I WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH MY DADDY BUT HE'S RUNNING AWAY FROM EVIL MONSTERS AND HAVING SEX WITH MY WHORE OF A MOTHER ON A BOAT"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

And then Cheryl was a dog and Kauffman was an alien. Wow, in this game the UFO ending makes sense.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
branj70
Just Passing Through

Post by branj70 »

I thought the whole game was MEH, until you get to the maze rooms and the free fall scene and you see little Cheryls falling and you keep running into the same room over and over again. I started to AWWW WTF MIND FUCK and i shit you not it was the first time in the whole game that creeped me the fuck out. So from about 3/4-ending i give the game an A-. :D
CrypticIdentity wrote:With the rust and all I can't imagine any of the plumbing in either world is great. OF COURSE, THAT'S WHAT VALTIEL'S BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS WHOLE TIME, with all his valve-turning--TURN ON THE SHOWER. He probably smells rank as hell.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

The Abyss/Nowhere segment of this game really did a good job. When I came across the first gap and it asked if I wanted to jump I was like "OOOHHH HERE WE GO", it was the perfect throwback to a game that had absolutely nothing to do with any of those characters so I have to wonder if it's more meaningful then just a nod. Either way, the following segments actually did manage to unnerve me which most of the game did not do (the chase segments only infuriated me, rather than scared) and from then on it was just... wow.

I would have never guessed it was Cheryl until he actually got up to the lighthouse, he and Cybil had that exchange, and then read the sign saying it was a clinic. I just.. I don't know if I wasn't thinking hard enough or if Climax really did that good a job of keeping their twist neat and tight until the end, but it came as an incredibly pleasant surprise to me. I absolutely love Cheryl and I think they did such a great job (especially compared to 0rigins).

Subjectively, in an emotional way... I'm not sure it moved me all that much. I see a lot of people were moved to call their fathers or go give them hugs but I'm sort of in a similar position of Cheryl. My father's not dead, but my parents are divorced and he lives many states away. I also don't get along well with him so I stopped talking to him a few years ago. It didn't move me to want to contact him to any degree, but I did greatly enjoy this game and it's one of my favorites now while I was a bit skeptical before it was released and even yelled I hated it in a fit of rage during my first time through the forest chase sequence. Just goes to show how finishing something can change your opinion.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Post by CreEPy pAYPhonE »

I geuss I'm in the minority here. I wasn't sad or depressed. . . .I was pissed. I was like "WHAT!!!! After all that bulidup to the lighthouse, this is what I get!!?? How much money did I spend on this damn game!!??" Personally, I didn't understand half of what the hell was going on in this damn installment (I'm not ashamed to say that I'm not smart enough to keep up with alot things) and I was hoping that some light would have been shed on the situation for me (no pun intended) but instead I got a crying emo Cheryl and a psychologist throwing his whiskey against the wall. I mean after all of that repititious running what did I get. The ending. . . Just the ending. . . .It was the final nail in the coffin of SM for me, as I never played it again.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

CreEPy pAYPhonE wrote:I geuss I'm in the minority here. I wasn't sad or depressed. . . .I was pissed. I was like "WHAT!!!! After all that bulidup to the lighthouse, this is what I get!!?? How much money did I spend on this damn game!!??" Personally, I didn't understand half of what the hell was going on in this damn installment (I'm not ashamed to say that I'm not smart enough to keep up with alot things) and I was hoping that some light would have been shed on the situation for me (no pun intended) but instead I got a crying emo Cheryl and a psychologist throwing his whiskey against the wall. I mean after all of that repititious running what did I get. The ending. . . Just the ending. . . .It was the final nail in the coffin of SM for me, as I never played it again.
It was confusing for me until I read more about it, quite honestly. Try browsing this forum a bit, because to me, part of why I love Silent Hill so much is finishing the game, then coming here to interpret what happened and form theories and the like.

Basically, the entire game revolves around Cheryl herself denying her father's death. The Echo messages we get are snippets of her life, and the Raw Shocks you run from symbolize Cheryl trying to cling onto her memories of Harry.
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Yuki wrote:
CreEPy pAYPhonE wrote:I geuss I'm in the minority here. I wasn't sad or depressed. . . .I was pissed. I was like "WHAT!!!! After all that bulidup to the lighthouse, this is what I get!!?? How much money did I spend on this damn game!!??" Personally, I didn't understand half of what the hell was going on in this damn installment (I'm not ashamed to say that I'm not smart enough to keep up with alot things) and I was hoping that some light would have been shed on the situation for me (no pun intended) but instead I got a crying emo Cheryl and a psychologist throwing his whiskey against the wall. I mean after all of that repititious running what did I get. The ending. . . Just the ending. . . .It was the final nail in the coffin of SM for me, as I never played it again.
It was confusing for me until I read more about it, quite honestly. Try browsing this forum a bit, because to me, part of why I love Silent Hill so much is finishing the game, then coming here to interpret what happened and form theories and the like.

Basically, the entire game revolves around Cheryl herself denying her father's death. The Echo messages we get are snippets of her life, and the Raw Shocks you run from symbolize Cheryl trying to cling onto her memories of Harry.
That has got to be THE MOST. . . . .Actually. . . .That. . . .That actually makes perfect sense, thanks. I suppose my previous comment sounded a little (very rude in fact) I apologize.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

CreEPy pAYPhonE wrote:
Yuki wrote:

That has got to be THE MOST. . . . .Actually. . . .That. . . .That actually makes perfect sense, thanks. I suppose my previous comment sounded a little (very rude in fact) I apologize.
Lol, it's really no problem at all. I mean, if you disliked the game, that's fine; to each their own. But if you only disliked it because you didn't understand it, it might be worth a shot to look around the forum and such. :)
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Basically, the entire game revolves around Cheryl herself denying her father's death. The Echo messages we get are snippets of her life, and the Raw Shocks you run from symbolize Cheryl trying to cling onto her memories of Harry.[/quote]

That has got to be THE MOST. . . . .Actually. . . .That. . . .That actually makes perfect sense, thanks. I suppose my previous comment sounded a little (very rude in fact) I apologize.[/quote]

Lol, it's really no problem at all. I mean, if you disliked the game, that's fine; to each their own. But if you only disliked it because you didn't understand it, it might be worth a shot to look around the forum and such. :)[/quote]
Well, that isn't the main reason I hated it (if I hated every SH that I didn't understand on my 1st playthrough then I wouldn't even be a fan of the series :lol: ). Like I said, it was just the straw that broke the camels' malformed back. For me, when it comes to SH, story comes 2nd (that doesn't mean it is not important). I just didn't find it entertaining and it didn't scare me in the least. However, I do love a good story so I might just do as you suggested.
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Awww, man. The quotes didn't. . . embed or whatever you call it, sorry, I'm not very good with computers. . . .
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Just add "[quote="username"]" at the start of the quotes.
We all have our forum learning curve, don't worry about it.
Shadow
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Shadow »

There's a quicker way, in full editor, highlight the section of text that is a quote in your post, then press the quote button (it's at the top, between the underline and Code buttons).

It puts the necessary tags around the quote so that it's recognised as a quote and treated accordingly when it comes to formatting. That can be used with any of the options.

If you're in standard editor, you need to type in quote in square brackets at the start as Typographenia said, but also " [/quote] " at the end, otherwise it'll still just be normal formatting. And, as Typographenia said, putting ="username" in will credit the quote to a user/blog/website.

Hope that helped :-)