Dr. K's and Mr Pignati's ("The Pigman") Guilt Tests Revealed

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Dr. K's and Mr Pignati's ("The Pigman") Guilt Tests Revealed

Post by simeonalo »

I know that there are many guilt tests and quizzes similar to Dr. K's guilt story in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. however, there is one quiz in literature that prominently stands out-Mr. Pignati's test in "The Pigman".

in case you don't know, The Pigman is a novel regarding Lorraine and John-two students who encounter Mr. Pignati by pure accident and learning many life lessons from him and his life story until his sad death. It's a very nice book, you should read it (in fact, most 8th-12th grade schools in California are issued to read this book in some school districts)

The book does a lot with the theme of death and guilt.

Now, Mr. Pignati's quiz goes like this (doing this from memory as I don't have the book right next to me right now, this scene happens after Mr. Pignati informs the two teenagers about the details of how his wife died; though he lied to the two kids by stating that she simply went to California).

There is a river with a bridge. To cross the river, you can use the boatman to cross you, but he charges 50 cents Alternatively, you can take the bridge. On on side of the river a wife and a husband lives. On the other side of the river is the wife's lover's house.

Now, the husband is going to a business meeting, the wife pleads him not to go because she cant control her impulses and she knows she will sleep with the lover. However, the husband goes and the wife sleeps overnight with the lover.

The morning the wife attempts to cross the bridge in order to get to the house before the husband does, but sees an assassin who is definitely going to kill her if she crosses. She tries to take the boatman but needs 50 cents which she doesn't have. She asks her lover for money, but her lover blames the wife saying it was her fault she slept there. Seeing no other route, she runs through the bridge and tries to run pass the assassin as fast as she can, but is caught and stabbed to death by the assassin.

Mr. Pignati tells the kids to list who is the most guilty. After Lorraine and John do, he reveals that it was a personality test and that the first to the last choices reflect what is most important to you and what is least important to you respectively.

Lover = sex
Wife = fun (fun could also mean contentment)
Assassin = money
Boatman = magic (magic could also mean luck)
Husband = love

Both the kids list Magic as their most important/most guiltiest for the woman's death.

Now, I hope this can provide some insight on Dr. K's quiz, in which case:

Princess Celestine=Wife (Both are main characters who die)
Prince=Lover (Both what makes main character leave)
King=Husband (as they are both what drives the main character to the Princes Vilhelm/Lover at first, and both are the people who Princess Celestine and the Wife plead to in the beginning)
Bull=Assassin (Both kill the main character)

Now, adding to that, the Bull in Dr. K's quiz is the car crash, the princess is Harry Mason, the Prince is Dahlia, the King is Cheryl as they the King drives the main character to the King/Husband (because Cheryl blames herself for her father's death)

Makes sense?

Putting the Princess first blames Harry for leaving.
Putting the Prince first blames Dahlia for making Harry leave the house with the car via the divorce
Putting the King first blames Cheryl herself and emphasizes the fact that Cheryl blames herself for her father's death
Putting the Bull first blames the car accident for Harry's death.

Using literature from other media, this basically informs and explains the whole purpose of the Guilt Quiz in the therapy session and some aspects of The Pigman.
SilentWren

Re: Dr. K's and Mr Pignati's ("The Pigman") Guilt Tests Reve

Post by SilentWren »

I'm not sure if any of it was by design (like a certain scene in the second game that modeled after Blue Velvet) but that's a very interesting find, Sim.
Nice work, dude.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

This is pretty much true, though there could be variations on what each character in SHSM's guilt test story mean. I think you hit it pretty spot on, though. There's no doubt this was by design, if even in the smallest way.

The creators had to of known that SH fans and newcomers alike would have grown to read into everything in the game, from environments to specifics Dr. K brings up in therapy. This means they must have had a similar idea in mind when constructing the story, making it so that each character in the guilt story could parallel some other plot highlight or character in the actual game's story.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

I definitely think Climax did dig in to a lot of literature..with the Cuckoos and such.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Cuckoos? Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

'Go Cuckoos'

It's the high school football team in the game....

Anyway..that was an incredible find...makes me glad that team climax did put some effort into the game's narrative and symbolism..it jst pisses me off that they had to make it in an alternate universe....
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

wonder's boy wrote:Cuckoos? Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.
A reference to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, I imagine. It takes place in an asylum... oh, just google it.

As for this Pigman/Kaufmann thing, this is a pretty well known moral exploration thing. Not a real psych test, but more of a philosophical toy. I don't think it's that specific to your book.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

lain of the wired wrote:
wonder's boy wrote:Cuckoos? Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.
A reference to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, I imagine. It takes place in an asylum... oh, just google it.

As for this Pigman/Kaufmann thing, this is a pretty well known moral exploration thing. Not a real psych test, but more of a philosophical toy. I don't think it's that specific to your book.
Actually:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midwic ... ther_works
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

^*shrug* Touché.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.