Interview with Michael McConnohie (Dr. Kaufmann)

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Interview with Michael McConnohie (Dr. Kaufmann)

Post by Yuki »

Taken from Hell Descent, here's a link to a text interview of Dr. Kaufmann's voice actor:

http://silenthaven.tumblr.com/post/6315 ... tor-for-dr
Silent Haven: How much knowledge did you have of Silent Hill prior to your work on Silent Hill?

Michael McConnohie: Honestly, zip point zilch. I knew there had been aSilent Hill movie earlier, and that it had been based on a game. But as for details, characters, plot lines … not a damn thing, which was incredibly liberating. No preconceptions. Then working with the director and the producers in the booth, we arrived at a reality for Doc K. Which, judging from various reactions since, apparently worked for the players as well.
There's more to be found in the link. Slight warning: the page has music that plays automatically.
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Interview with Michael McConnohie (Dr. Kaufmann)

Post by saevitia »

That was a great interview! McConnohie seems like a really cool guy (he reminded me a bit of Cave Johnson from Portal 2 , lol)

The bit I found most interesting is that instead of getting the context around the game to inform his performance, the devs gave him more context around the *character*.

The fact that he says that he as Kaufmann "got to — very quietly and calmly — commit the sickest, most twisted, wretched emotional manipulation…" speaks to me that he might know a little bit more about the character than we do!
Shadow
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Shadow »

Nice interview, very interesting to read that he doesn't get access to the entire script.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

I thought it was a pretty good interview. His small rant at the start really didn't help set the tone of the interview, but it was still good.
eeks
Just Passing Through

Post by eeks »

He came off as quite jaded and sarcastic... But amusing and likeable at the same time. :lol: Quite an interesting insider's look, and he appeared to be quite honest instead of stepping lightly around criticism.
I imagine he may have been isolated moreso in this case due to not having any interaction with any other character in the script, except for the UFO ending.
Matthewop
Just Passing Through

Post by Matthewop »

I hope it would be UFO ending too.. lol
JetFace
Just Passing Through

Post by JetFace »

This was a really interesting interview! especially for me since I'm gonna be taking acting course, and been thinking about voice acting.