Shattered Memories Genere?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

What genere do you think SM is?

Psychological Horror
25%
Psychological Thriller
67%
Survival Horror
4%
Other (comment! :))
4%

Total votes: 24

Yokraz-on-dA
Just Passing Through

Shattered Memories Genere?

Post by Yokraz-on-dA »

So, some people say it's a survival horror, some say it's a psych horror, and some say it's a psych thriller.
I think it's a mix between psych horror and psych thriller, but more of a thriller than a horror...What do you think?
Last edited by Yokraz-on-dA on 11 Sep 2011, edited 1 time in total.
This Game ROCKS MY SOCKS.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Shattered Memories Genere?

Post by Typographenia »

I would say psychological thriller.

There's nothing truly horrifying in it or overtly graphic to warrant the "horror" label, and the themes/context of the game make it much more of a psychological than a survival format.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Psychological Thriller....There was nothing, and i say absolutely NOTHING that scared me; let alone horrified me in this game....the story though, was a lot better than the piece of crap stories that homecoming and origins had.(although Travis as a character had A LOT of potential to be memorable)....
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Psychological thriller for sure. There was next to shit all that was actually horrifying. It was a lot more cerebral and rather beautiful. I actually really enjoyed the changes they brought to this installment. It was just refreshing and unique to not go the typical 'horror' style of Silent Hill for one non-canon game.

The only time I freaked out a little was the one time I seen the chained up bear in the hunters cabin. I only seen a screenshot of it in a magazine during early development and I thought it was taken out of the game. Every time I just had the normal chill bear. Then one day the bastard decided to go all bloody and gory with the chains.

Freaked the hell out of me. Never see it again. Stupid bear.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Why not all of those?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I agree with the idea that 'genre' is nothing but a commercial classification which often paints in broad strokes and only works when applied to simple examples.

Or, you get what we see in metal, where every band is so loathe to classify itself as being in any way similar to any other band ever, so they invent an entirely new genre to describe their music--often slapping the suffix -core onto the butt end of some random word and sounding completely indistinguishable from pretty much any other 'genre' which ends in -core to those who don't give a shit.

Every creative work is about something. Identifying the point is more important than assigning it to a genre.
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Post by NemesisFY »

/\You right on that, but instead of core I would say metal.

Like power metal, heavy metal, speed metal, thrash metal, black metal, death metal, whatever metal.

@Thread I think it's psychollogical thriller because it's not quite horror. But it's not either a survival game.