Did anyone else think (about Lisa and the pills) [spoiler]

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

born2kill
Just Passing Through

Did anyone else think (about Lisa and the pills) [spoiler]

Post by born2kill »

When Lisa asks for the pill and youre given the option to give her the wrong pill, I immediately thought the game was testing if the player would date rape lisa :shock: Did anyone else think that?

It weirded me out & fascinated me even after i found that wasnt the case.
The game really challeged players with heavy, real issues like teen suicide, domestic abuse, and rape (the statutory kind). No games really do that. I was impressed.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Did anyone else think...

Post by stopped_clock »

Remind me never to ask you for an aspirin.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Holy shit, who the hell goes from "get me some medicine" to "date rape"?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

AuraTwilight wrote:Holy shit, who the hell goes from "get me some medicine" to "date rape"?
it happens. did you never see the seinfeld episode where jerry drugs his gf to play with her toy collection?
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

born2kill wrote:When Lisa asks for the pill and youre given the option to give her the wrong pill, I immediately thought the game was testing if the player would date rape lisa :shock: Did anyone else think that?
No. I'm actually a little disturbed by your train of thought though...
Personally, I just expected her to die if I gave her the wrong pill, so imagine my surprise when she upped and died anyway. :?
born2kill wrote:It weirded me out & fascinated me even after i found that wasnt the case.
The game really challeged players with heavy, real issues like teen suicide, domestic abuse, and rape (the statutory kind). No games really do that. I was impressed.
Most of the other games touch upon serious issues too. For example:
Major Silent Hill 2 Spoilers:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
James' mercy killing/murder of Mary, and the nature of Angela's abuse at the hands of her father.
stopped_clock wrote:Remind me never to ask you for an aspirin.
I literally lol'ed.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Why is people so obsessed with "rape"? Seems that people doesn't have anything else to say in internet... It is a bad thing you know?? It is a crime and one of the worst things that can happen to any person...
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

WHY DID YOU GIVE ME THE ROOFIES, HARRY? WHYYYYYYYYYY

ON A SOMEWHAT RELATED NOTE, WHY DID I KEEP ROOFIES IN THE BATHROOM? WHYYYYYYYY
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

Trolololol. I'm literally extremely confused here. I just finished the game for the first time about a few days ago, so bare with me. I gave her the green pills (the ones she asked for), yet she still died on me (SH1 style with the blood coming out from everywhere). Are you ever capable of saving her? I'd like to keep that in mind for my next playthrough, which I by the way haven't started yet.
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

KageReneko wrote:Why is people so obsessed with "rape"? Seems that people doesn't have anything else to say in internet... It is a bad thing you know?? It is a crime and one of the worst things that can happen to any person...
rape is a bad thing? its a crime? thanks for clearing that up. I must have been confused because silent hill never deals with bad or criminal behavior.
alone in the town

Re: Did anyone else think (about Lisa and the pills) [spoile

Whatever pill you give her makes no difference, at least in regards to her fate.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

She dies, she dies, and she...dies. There's nothing you can do. Whatever pill you give her kills her. Either it's that, or her head injuries, or a combo of them both. Nothing you can do saves her, which hopefully gives you an idea of what she symbolizes in the overall story.

Nothing you do now changes what happens in the past. It's best to move on and accept.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

Soulless-Shadow wrote:
born2kill wrote:When Lisa asks for the pill and youre given the option to give her the wrong pill, I immediately thought the game was testing if the player would date rape lisa :shock: Did anyone else think that?
Personally, I just expected her to die if I gave her the wrong pill, so imagine my surprise when she upped and died anyway. :?
disturbed? really? because instead of thinking the game would give us the option to murder her, i thought date rape. thats a disturbing leap?

I never imagined she would have a poison pill in her cabinet. I imagined she might have a sleeping pill though. And again, i go back to the seinfeld episode where she asks for medicine & jerry gives her the sleepy stuff.

oh well, i guess to answer the topic question i am the only one who thought that.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

There was a part of me that wondered if she'd get really sick (or something to that effect) if you gave her the wrong colored pill.
What do people usually keep in their medicine cabinet? Like sleeping pills, pain pills and cough drops, right? I guess it was pretty fool proof.

I was so annoyed at the obvious wii influence of the bottle movement that I didn't really have time to overthink it. I've got the PS version. It's pretty damn obvious.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
alone in the town

wonder's boy wrote:
She dies, she dies, and she...dies. There's nothing you can do. Whatever pill you give her kills her. Either it's that, or her head injuries, or a combo of them both. Nothing you can do saves her, which hopefully gives you an idea of what she symbolizes in the overall story.

Nothing you do now changes what happens in the past. It's best to move on and accept.
The head injury is what kills Lisa. I doubt Lisa stocks "bleed to death out of my face" pills as much as I doubt she keeps a supply of rohypnol to tempt random strangers into a little date-rape.

You can give Lisa the right pill or wrong one, and it doesn't matter. She's still going to die. The right pill can't save her and the wrong one won't kill her. It's designed to either make you feel guilty or make you feel impotent, when neither is really correct. It goes along with the guilt game you play with the doctor; no matter what pill you give Lisa, she can't survive. No matter who's most to blame for Celestine's death, Celestine's still dead. Is Harry to blame for Lisa's death? Is Lisa? Is it the pill?

There are no right or wrong answers, and even if there were, it'd be irrelevant. Therefore, blaming yourself is unproductive. Kaufmann tells you as much himself.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

born2kill wrote:
Soulless-Shadow wrote:
disturbed? really? because instead of thinking the game would give us the option to murder her, i thought date rape. thats a disturbing leap?
It was a joke. :roll: Sheesh. I would say to take a chill pill, but such a pun would be too cliché.
born2kill wrote:I never imagined she would have a poison pill in her cabinet. I imagined she might have a sleeping pill though.
The pill wasn't poison. It probably wouldn't have been kept in the medicine cabinet with the real medicine if it was. Besides, apparently going to sleep after receiving a head injury and concussion is a very bad idea.
born2kill wrote:And again, i go back to the seinfeld episode where she asks for medicine & jerry gives her the sleepy stuff.
Haven't seen it. In fact, I can't stand that show, so I avoid it when it's on tv. But, I think the whole point of that part of the game is as Alone in the Town stated; the pill itself isn't important. What is important are the feelings Lisa's death invokes depending on your actions. Now, I'm only speculating here, but it probably has something to do with...
...how Cheryl feels over her father's death (duh :roll: ).
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I dunno. I got a real rapey vibe from Lisa.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
X-rust

Post by X-rust »

By the way, Harry gives Lisa PTV.
Here texture bottles of pills:

How do we know, PTV is purported to be made from an indigenous plant, White Claudia.
Remember "cause of death OVERDOSE" from Zero?
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

^ Extremely interesting. White Claudia playing a role in Shattered Memories? Do you think Lisa SM was a drug addict close to how original Lisa was? (Hehe, I think I'm just over-analyzing now).

Soulless-Shadow wrote:Haven't seen it. In fact, I can't stand that show, so I avoid it when it's on tv. But, I think the whole point of that part of the game is as Alone in the Town stated; the pill itself isn't important. What is important are the feelings Lisa's death invokes depending on your actions. Now, I'm only speculating here, but it probably has something to do with...
...how Cheryl feels over her father's death (duh :roll: ).
Yes. It's all about the guilt test Dr. K tests you on prior to Lisa's death. Quoting this thread, I agree with:
Putting the Princess first blames Harry for leaving.
Putting the Prince first blames Dahlia for making Harry leave the house with the car via the divorce
Putting the King first blames Cheryl herself and emphasizes the fact that Cheryl blames herself for her father's death
Putting the Bull first blames the car accident for Harry's death.
Therefore, Lisa's death scene victimizes a person with the guilt for the death (Lisa/Harry) depending on who the player chooses first.
X-rust

Post by X-rust »

Do you think Lisa SM was a drug addict close to how original Lisa was?
In SM we see original Lisa. And we see how she died.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I doubt it's a drug with a capital D, guys. It's clearly a prescription medicine using the same name, and Lisa took it because she thought it would help. No one goes "Oh man I want a buzz, bro" when they're bleeding out their head.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]