The other side of the same coin ...

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

mikefile
Gravedigger

The other side of the same coin ...

Post by mikefile »

It's a simple thought.
I noticed a clear reference between Kaufman's 7th session (sex) and SH1's opening.

SH1 : The fear of blood tends to create the fear from flesh.
blood=life
flesh=death

The fear of life tends to create the fear of death, as blood=flesh. Therefore, life=death.

The last equation is now a great introduction for Kaufman's lesson.

SHSM : To deny sex, is to deny death itself.
sex=life
life=death

As Kaufman states: “Of course, the constant partner of sex, the other side of the same coin is... Death. Sex is death. It's a leap into the void, the great loss of self. The tiger in space. A plea for annihilation.“

I believe the reference is clear. Both of the sentences hold the same meaning, only using different metaphors. In SH1, it means that the fear of living, tends to create the fear of death even before you're in front of it. The same thing is explained by dr. Kaufman in his tiger in space soliloquy, a metaphor representing the fear of the uknown, the fear of sex. When the tiger hunts for its prey, hidden in the grass, unknown, waiting to assoult you. You fear it before you even experience it. Kaufman's actually talking about the same thing, he simply opted for the freudian perspective by assuming that life is sex. To deny (=fear) sex (=life), is to deny (=fear) death itself.

To sum up, the reasoning from SM is actually the same one from SH1, the other side of the same coin, only peeled up to a more realistic-psychological perspective.

I didn't put this in the references thread because I think it's a bigger deal, as it clearly draws a huge thematic parallel between the two universes.