Worst case scenario (Vatra, this is what we don't want)

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Worst case scenario (Vatra, this is what we don't want)

Post by The Adversary »

>I'd rather never play a crappy sequel than have another homecoming<
Then don't.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

I say if future SH's use QTEs, it would be cool to see it done Heavy Rain style. Otherwise, I'm fairly meh on the subject.
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

I can't help but to think that QTE's are the STENCH that games like RE4 and GOW left behind so that some other naive developers could pickup and spam throughout EVERY DAMN CUTSCENE (some anyway). I can understand the jive of Heavy Rain's QTE's because for a thriller it sure had me thrilled. But games like Bayonetta? Cheap and pathetic (however performing executions requiring you to mash was alright). It just goes to show that for most games nowadays, it has overstayed its welcome and needs die down.

On the subject of Downpour, correct me if I'm wrong, but boss fights are to utilize these right? Solely just QTE's throughout the entire fight with no player control? If this is the case, then my hopes have dropped dramatically. It'd almost feel like a homage to those god-forsakken GOW battles.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

The Adversary wrote:>I'd rather never play a crappy sequel than have another homecoming<
Then don't.
There's wisdom in these here words, almost to the extent I think it should be printed on the top of the forum. :wink:

It's what I've been saying about the new movie: If you're really not satisfied, the best way to get your message across isn't to bitch endlessly. Nobody will listen to that, not even fellow fans. The way that the bean counters will understand that you don't want what they're doing is to not buy it. They'll get that message.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

The Adversary wrote:>I'd rather never play a crappy sequel than have another homecoming<
Then don't.
There's wisdom in these here words, almost to the extent I think it should be printed on the top of the forum. :wink:

It's what I've been saying about the new movie: If you're really not satisfied, the best way to get your message across isn't to bitch endlessly. Nobody will listen to that, not even fellow fans. The way that the bean counters will understand that you don't want what they're doing is to not buy it. They'll get that message.
Pleasant Sinner wrote:I can't help but to think that QTE's are the STENCH that games like RE4 and GOW left behind so that some other naive developers could pickup and spam throughout EVERY DAMN CUTSCENE (some anyway).
You're not wrong. QTEs don't make cinemas any less boring. Instead, they bring along the feeling of the developer trying to trick you into thinking you have control. Nobody likes feeling like they're being tricked.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I don't mind QTEs in action sequences. Resident Evil 4, as an example, integrated them heavily into the action, and I loved it and I wondered why previous Resident Evil games didn't have the characters make such an intuitive move as kick the slow-moving, stupid zombies.

Now, when they're in cutscenes, it's another story altogether. Even Resident Evil 4's would Game Over you every time until you knew when they were coming. Also, fuck Krauser and that knife fight. Died more than thirty times my first playthrough on that shit.
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

Kenji wrote:You're not wrong. QTEs don't make cinemas any less boring. Instead, they bring along the feeling of the developer trying to trick you into thinking you have control. Nobody likes feeling like they're being tricked.
True, but to me personally, after seeing an incessant tide of QTE's, it comes off as more of an irritating experience. And as alone in the town said, I just hate that some bear heavy consequences if you aren't alert and takes you dozens of tries to get it right (citing RE4 here with the Krauser fight...I too died a crap ton). Silent Hill, as I see it, sticks with you because its too screwy as to even describe in words. But to remember it by trial and error feels almost downright disappointing. I might like (and perhaps understand) it a bit more in other games, but if one of Vatra's ways of "tricking" is by cutscene QTE's, well their credibility to me might fall, pending on how they incorporate them.

In-game QTE's however wouldn't be as big of a problem to me, since Homecoming proved it didn't go all out gimmicky with it. Let's hope Vatra follows suit in this case.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

The QTE's in RE4 worked for me. But that was a different game... Resident Evil is the type of game that lends itself to that style. I don't think the same thing would work very well in Silent Hill at all. And it definitely is a lame trend... nobody seems to like it, so I don't understand why it continues.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

KiramidHead wrote:I say if future SH's use QTEs, it would be cool to see it done Heavy Rain style. Otherwise, I'm fairly meh on the subject.
Having JUST finished my first playthrough of Heavy Rain, I can safely say, I wouldn't mind. Maybe not alllll~ the time, but in certain QTE cutscenes it'd be cool. I just get annoyed when every damn time Alex or new!Harry wanted to jump over something, the game decided I must've forgot that X makes a character Jump. *facepalmheaddesk*
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^I was half kidding, half serious about that. I was thinking along the lines of QTEs in cutscenes, mostly.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

Not too many 'one scene' characters
No Pyramid Head
What's the big deal - Laura
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

alone in the town wrote:I don't mind QTEs in action sequences. Resident Evil 4, as an example...Also, fuck Krauser and that knife fight. Died more than thirty times my first playthrough on that shit.
Yes and yes. Kicking that fucking barrel at me still gets me sometimes. But I am not scared of QTE anymore, especially since ever game to be put out in the last, what 3 yr.s or so, has integrated them in one fashion on another. It is a matter of get used to it or not play the games.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

When it comes to QTEs, for some reason I find those that use the circle button on the PS2 to be really hard to pull off. I can do it just fine on the PS3, but I almost always fuck up on the PS2 controller with that button. I'm specifically thinking of God of War 1, which uses circle for almost every QTE in the game. Also, the torture sequence in MGS1. For fucks sake, I can never get that one.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I would have said what I didn't want was Weapon Degradation and Quick Time Events, but...
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Post by CreEPy pAYPhonE »

As far as gameplay goes I think they should look at their cousin game, Siren, for INSPIRATION. They should try to encourage stealth without leaving you utterly defensless. Keep the enviroments dark without leaving us blind (y'know, give us good reasons to use the flashlight and good reasons NOT to use it). Do not be afraid to freak us out with unexplained noises(which is something that they seem to be doing less and less in each game) and most important, above all else. Give. Us. Good. Disturbing. ORIGINAL! Monsters. I mean I love the straight jackets and Pyramid Heads as much as the next guy. But seriously, stop reusing them. They've had their time in the spotlight, now lets move. The only creature that should make a another appearence is the nurse and that should only be for traditions' sake (that's not to say she shouldn't get a redesign, however). As for story. Please, no more tortured souls with repressed memories. No more cults, no more fanatics, no more borrowing from the movie (that part should really fall under the gameplay part of this rant, should it not), no attempt at romance (I mean, come on, after that whole cocktease romance from HC. . . .I mean, I'm not saying "No romance", what I'm saying is that unless you can do it well, then don't do it all) and I'd like to see more characters like Heather. . . .
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I would suggest against doing the puzzles like Siren. Please no towel freezing BS.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I totally agree with looking at Siren for inspiration.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'll put it this way: I agree if we mean Blood Curse, not the original.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

@CreEPy pAYPhonE, nice username and first post.

Yeah, I'm definently getting tired of the same ol monsters getting used. For the first few games they were all different. The first game had animal like monsters. The second game had human like monsters. And the third game had flat out monsters. After that, imagination kinda left the world of SH monster design for the most part, except for that shadow thing from Origins, that was neat and different, reminded me of a scary version of those masks with shadows from Spirited Away.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Post by CreEPy pAYPhonE »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:@CreEPy pAYPhonE, nice username and first post.

Yeah, I'm definently getting tired of the same ol monsters getting used. For the first few games they were all different. The first game had animal like monsters. The second game had human like monsters. And the third game had flat out monsters. After that, imagination kinda left the world of SH monster design for the most part, except for that shadow thing from Origins, that was neat and different, reminded me of a scary version of those masks with shadows from Spirited Away.
@Doctor Eggnog, thanx, sadly, I didn't think things through when I came up with the username when I used the random capitals. It's hard to remember which letters are capitalized so it's difficult to sign in :roll:

I agree, the monsters did start to get redundant after the first 3 (SH 3 had the best I think). I agree that the shadow things in Origins were awesome.