Vatra arent totally new

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Vatra arent totally new

Post by redrum »

I took this off the Czech Wikipedia page for Vatra (which I'm making an English version of)
British Association named Kuju Entertainment was looking for people in Central Europe for its new development team. Just at this time has decided to retire from several developers at the same time the largest studios located in the Czech rupublice United 2K. These developers have decided that they will work with Kuju Entertainment and set up a new studio in downtown Brno.
So it sounds like the studio has more experience than we think
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Some of us already know. It's been discussed on this forum that Vatra is not relatively new.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

Oh okay, at least others will know now :p
ShadowBaby
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ShadowBaby »

Rush'n Attack looks pretty cool, and very atmospheric. :)
I'm currently out in search of myself. If I happen come come back before I return, please ask me to wait for myself.
unreadphilosophy

Post by unreadphilosophy »

The Czech Republic, huh? First time I've heard of a development company from that part of the world.
Survival
Just Passing Through

Post by Survival »

Also some members previously worked on Vietcong, Mafia and Hidden and Dangerous.
liquidus118
Just Passing Through

Re: Vatra arent totally new

Post by liquidus118 »

redrum wrote:I took this off the Czech Wikipedia page for Vatra (which I'm making an English version of)
British Association named Kuju Entertainment was looking for people in Central Europe for its new development team. Just at this time has decided to retire from several developers at the same time the largest studios located in the Czech rupublice United 2K. These developers have decided that they will work with Kuju Entertainment and set up a new studio in downtown Brno.
So it sounds like the studio has more experience than we think
Really? I guess my initial reaction was a bit presumptious. They sound plenty more experienced than I thought (Since I'd never heard of a Czech game I thought that it would mostly be new ppl with no experience at other companies, but stand corrected), but I'm still wary of what they do since I was loving where Climax were going and hoping that they would be the new home for the series.
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

I'm a bit disappointed it's not another shot from Climax who have proven to "get" Silent Hill, but I am overjoyed to hear that Vatra is another European company.

Americans had their chance with Homecoming and blew it.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

Dark Sky wrote:Americans had their chance with Homecoming and blew it.
Yes, because two relatively small game developers represent an entire country with a population of 307,006,550.

Makes sense.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

Catch22 wrote:
Yes, because two relatively small game developers represent an entire country with a population of 307,006,550.

Makes sense.
Of course it does man! :D
White Claudia
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by White Claudia »

The Da Vinci code was a sh*t game mind.

Yep Vatra has a group of talented people from 2K to name a few, so im hoping they will take this opportunity to prove them selfs worthy.
http://www.youtube.com/vTheFreemanv
I don’t know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

One of the things you learn from years of dealing with drug people, is that you can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Share this quote
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Dark Sky wrote:I'm a bit disappointed it's not another shot from Climax who have proven to "get" Silent Hill, but I am overjoyed to hear that Vatra is another European company.

Americans had their chance with Homecoming and blew it.
Yunno, many people think those blokes at TEAM STUPID really screwed the puppy with Silent Hill: Origins, including myself. I still gave Silent Hill: Shattered Memories a fair chance, however, and I'm glad I did.

Double Helix might impress, too, if given another chance.
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

Catch22 wrote:

Makes sense.
Heh heh! :) The trouble is that Double Helix had the misfortune of committing the cardinal sin of Americanising the game in such a Hollywood-esque way.

Climax, I feel, really understood what made Silent Hill special, as they exhibited in the SH-clone Origins (which still had wonderful designs and moments in) and then showed that they could capture that SH vibe in a completely new way with Shattered Memories. I think those guys are brilliant.

And now the idea of a continental European take on the series is really exciting too, whereas I would be again worried if it were another American developer. Though ultimately I still wish it were in Japanese hands.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

But the errors committed by Double Helix are not representative of an entire population. You talk as if Double Helix = America, and that every American publisher will do the same thing. That isn't the case. There are good developers and bad developers in every country. Yes, even Japan.

Seriously, people pay too much attention to the country that the developers come from, and use it as justification that one country or region is superior at making games to the other. That's stupid and borderline racist.

Most importantly though, Climax had two chances to make a good game. Keep in mind that a lot of people hated Origins. if Double Helix got a second chance, they could work on the mistakes made in Homecoming, just as Climax did with Shattered Memories. (As alone in the dark mentioned above.)
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Though you are entirely right, Catch22, another reason people give Climax a bit more leeway is that there was a teamshift due to executive meddling, and they were handed a half-finished project to rehaul with less than a few months. Double Helix didn't get that kind of screw-over, and as far as we know, might've been working at the apex of their potential.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

That's true. However, we don't know really know the whole situation at Double Helix. There could have been internal issues we're unaware of. By giving them the chance to create another game, and hopefully more creative freedom, I think they could prove that they are either competent or incompetent developers.

Besides, they had the responsibility of taking Silent Hill to the current generation of consoles. They're a pretty small developer, so that can't have been easy. I think we should cut them some slack.

But that's just opinion on my part. Either way I think we can agree that Double Helix≠all American developers, which I was stressing to Dark Sky.