No akira?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

King MGO
Just Passing Through

No akira?

Post by King MGO »

I read that Akira Yamaoka won't be the music guy anymore. That is crazy! I can't believe that! I loved the first 3 OSTs, and the only reason I don't like any of the others is because I can't listen to them. Anyone else have any comments on this?
Last edited by King MGO on 09 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

I have one comment. This news is quite old, im sorry to say.

http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20605
^^
nobody
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by nobody »

Yamaoka said in a recent interview, that he'd do another silent hill soundtrack if asked.
there's comfort in silence
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

*crosses fingers that Valtra asks* :mrgreen:
Droo

Post by Droo »

When Nobuo Uematsu left Square Enix everyone assumed he'd never do a Final Fantasy game again. But he did.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

I hope he comes back as long as he doesn't phone it in. I think he did a good job on the Shattered Memories soundtrack but I wouldn't say the same for the Homecoming soundtrack, save for the boss music for Scarlet.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

>Anyone else have any comments on this?

A few, yeah.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

If Akira comes back it will be awesome. If not, then let the door open for another musician with cool skills.
AirborneSFSoldier

Post by AirborneSFSoldier »

It would be very interesting to see what another musician would do with a Silent Hill game. Interesting... but it could be a train wreck.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I normally get crucified for my opinions on Akira Yamaoka, but I feel he has always been hit or miss for me, and I don't think he is all that important to the series. His music really worked well in creating the atmosphere for SH1 and SH2, but his music in SH3 and SH4 was very forgettable for me (except for the songs with vocals by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, but that was more because of her than him).

Then the music for Origins and Homecoming I thought was downright bad and annoying, especially Homecoming. On the other hand, I thought the music for Shattered Memories went from perfectly creepy to hauntingly beautiful, and is probably my favorite SH OST yet. So, out of the 6 games he did music for, I liked 3 of them and disliked 4 of them.

But aside from that, I just don't really like him as a person. There is something about him that bugs me. It also bugs me that people give him way more credit than I feel he deserves in making Silent Hill what it is. The music does help, yes, but it hardly MAKES anything. It just helps convey the emotions and atmosphere that the writing and developing already made. Not to mention that most of his work isn't exactly hard to emulate. I just don't see why people paint him as the God of SH. Not to mention his influence over SH4, Homecoming, and the SH movie proves that outside of music, he and I have very different tastes in what Silent Hill should be.

So, yes, I am happy he is gone. I only like half of his work and I dislike him as a person. I just hope whoever they do get to do the new music blows him out of the water, or at least lives up to him, so that people won't have another reason to say how amazing and important he is.
Last edited by NanayaShiki on 12 Apr 2010, edited 2 times in total.
SHF

Post by SHF »

wow your brave to state that. i kinda agree with you here. there are people who can create great music like him. im not too worried about the situation. if he comes back, great. if not, lets hope the new guy kicks ass.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
emFox
Just Passing Through

Post by emFox »

I don't mind if someone else comes on the series and tries their hand at sound design. To be honest, I found the sound design for Homecoming and Shattered Memories to be lacking in comparison to previous titles -- even 0rigins. I don't feel the same impact or intensity in the two recent titles, though Shattered Memories' soundtrack is better than Homecoming's.

I don't mind someone new so long as they contribute genuinely beautiful, moody, foreboding or terrifying works. They don't have to emulate Akira Yamaoka, but I wouldn't mind if they came from the same style. It's really hard to say without hearing anything first.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

angelofROOM302 wrote:*crosses fingers that Valtra asks* :mrgreen:
It's Vatra.
Last edited by Mephisto on 12 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.
SHF

Re: No akira?

Post by SHF »

King MGO wrote:I read that Akira Yamaoka won't be the music guy anymore. That is bullcrap! I can't believe that! I loved the first 3 OSTs, and the only reason I don't like any of the others is because I can't listen to them. Anyone else have any comments on this?
theres a topic already about this in lakeside amusement park i think.
i think vixx posted it up. i mean, its not the end of the world, he loves the series, so im sure he will contribute.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Yamaoka has stated that if he is asked, he will do another Silent Hill soundtrack. As far as we know, nothing official has been stated either for or against him doing the soundtrack from Vatra/Konami.

I wouldn't mind a new composer... provided Mary Elizabeth McGlynn comes back.
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

Yeah, personally, the musician I'm invested more in is McGlynn. Yamaoka, while awesome, I don't think is irreplaceable. And it might be nice to get a fresh take on the sound of silence...
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I love McGlynn. Her songs in 3, 4, and Shattered Memories were great, although I wasn't crazy about the ones from Origins and Homecoming. Origins' songs I did not like and while I enjoyed the ones from Homecoming, they felt too cheesy.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I would be content if he just contributed a few songs to the new soundtrack and put all his creative juices into those. The only issue with that is the possibility of lack of consistency through the soundtrack.

And YES to Mary returning, she is just so versatile in what she can do with her voice that I see few reasons in finding someone else.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
SHF

Post by SHF »

it would be interesting to have amy lee ( of evanescence) sing a few songs. shes got a marvelous voice, dont like the band though.
SHF

Post by SHF »

it would be interesting to have amy lee ( of evanescence) sing a few songs. shes got a marvelous voice, dont like the band though.