A story from the perspective of a Silent Hill cult member?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Not really, no.

Joseph Schreiber wrote on April 16th, "On the surface, the Order has been demolished, but I am positive that they are still active under the water's surface."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's kind've what I meant by "into fragments."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Maybe, but my point was a) The Order isn't done for, b) Walter didn't kill everyone off b/c Vincent and Claudia died around the same time, and c) Joseph didn't devote an entire entry to The Order's destruction.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

And my point was that regardless, SH3 and SH4 have implied the shuffling out of the Order over time long before Homecoming showed up. The rest is just finer details.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

You may think the developers have been phasing out The Order, but Team Silent deliberately left room for its continued existence in spite of what you, and others, are suggesting: The fact the last two games (in the main continuity) have focused heavily on the cult is indicative of this.

I honestly don't foresee The Order's elimination entirely in the near future. Of course, I may be mistaken, there just doesn't seem to be any reason not to—save to pander the fans who continue to complain about it. Conversely, regardless of the amount of bitching, the games are still selling, cult or not. The developers (past and present) know they have the Silent Hill fanbase by the balls: They can produce anything and we'll buy it.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

do we really needs twists in our silent hill games i mean 4 didnt have a "twist" and the story was awesome

also with all the new games having twists it just makes new players like

i bet i know the twist der he ha :roll:
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

By g-d, ww_andi has a point: We're playing video games, not watching an M. Night Shyamalan flick. An ostensibly unexpected plot twist doesn't make a video game in the same way it doesn't make a movie: You come to expect one, and when you reach that point it's disappointing.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

You know what? That is absolutely right! Good stories don't need twists :roll: that just made me notice that all non Team Silent developers are/have tried to incorporate a twist.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

thats because the highly acclaimed sacred best of the wholes series god of video game horror is sh2 and had a twist :roll:
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXlostXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [17 pages missing]
Last edited by The Adversary on 11 May 2010, edited 1 time in total.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

dont forget shattered memories
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

Yeah I completely agree with you ww_andi and Tom, however... the S.M. twist was just so well done... if it's as well written as that, that by god I don't care. But it's true that big twists are definitely overdone in pretty much every form of media these days. Although... SH is a series that seems to attract twists, so.. hm. Good point about the Room, though. We could def. do without an easily predictable twist at least. For example, Bioshock had a huge twist-- but Bioshock 2 didn't try to top it; the story was more straightforward.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

ww_andi wrote:do we really needs twists in our silent hill games i mean 4 didnt have a "twist" and the story was awesome

also with all the new games having twists it just makes new players like

i bet i know the twist der he ha :roll:
i thought the twist was when you figured out why the people were being killed, and that you were the 21st victim needed for the 21 Sacraments? it's been a while since i've played SH4 though, but i don't remember stumbling upon this until late in the game.

however, i kind of agree with your point. i guess we don't really need some big twist, or secret revealed at the end.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I wouldn't really call that a twist, as the game never made any real effort to make the player think that Henry had nothing to do with what was going on. A twist would require something along those lines (or, alternatively, something more complicated, like making the player think Henry is Walter only to prove he isn't, or vice-versa).

But, yes, a twist only has so much use. It's a one-off trick. We're never gonna be surprised that
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
James killed Mary
or
Cheryl is seeing Dr. K
after that first time. Thankfully, a well-played revelation has more to it than just the shock value, and can stand without having to surprise the player, and that's the difference between a good revelation and a bad one.

The big trouble with twists, oftentimes, is that a story from an established franchise plays a twist that is a little too within franchise parameters, such as
"Oh, my. So, turns out Alex killed Josh, after all. Didn't see that one coming. Nope."
So, sometimes it's better to assume that your audience has already figured it out and deal with the revelation with a sense of dramatic irony.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

You may want to indicate which games are spoiled behind each of your tags, Kenji. Fortunately I already knew them, in spite of not playing the one that would've bothered me, but others may not be so lucky (or unlucky, really).

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.