A story from the perspective of a Silent Hill cult member?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

Yeah, Aura's right.

Ignoring the possible continuity debate, the Homecoming cult is the Shepherd's Glen chapter, which split off in the mid 19th century and only took up the banner of the Order in desperation when the town went to hell.

Hell, in SH4, we see that Walter's been exterminating of the last dregs of leadership (comparing Toby to the likes of Vincent, Dahlia, or even Claudia is just unfair), essentially completing his revenge long before the last set of Sacraments.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Between SH1, 3, and 4, I think we've all seen more than enough to be able to know how the world is viewed by members of the Order.

There is nothing interesting to be seen or added to the franchise in doing this. The Order is the most overplayed aspect of the series. It needs to go away.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Pretty much. I mean, what can you possibly do with it?

Especially since not every member of the Order is a butchering, bloodthirsty psychopath and people like Dahlia, Leonard and Claudia are in the fringe minority of total nutjobs even by Order standards.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

I really like the idea, it never came to my mind, but it would be really great, maybe like Homecoming (somehow) that he's just a normal person living a life that suddenly starts to change only to discover that he/she had been in Silent Hill cult and forgot what happened or something like this, I know it sounds like Heather but it's also fun to have something like that with more additional matters, but please MAKE IT COMPLICATED AND LONG and of course TWISTING
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

only to discover that he/she had been in Silent Hill cult and forgot what happened or something
Yea, that's a great idea. Let's mix the two plot elements people seem to HATE the most: The Order with an AMNESIA PLOT. Brilliant!
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

AuraTwilight wrote:
only to discover that he/she had been in Silent Hill cult and forgot what happened or something
Yea, that's a great idea. Let's mix the two plot elements people seem to HATE the most: The Order with an AMNESIA PLOT. Brilliant!
well some people hate and some people like that so why take the haters as the measure ? I mean Silent Hill was built on the Cult stories and rituals now you wanna completely omit them ? no way. even Silent Hill 2 had Cult references.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Shattered Memories didn't have any cult whatsoever, I don't see how a game without the cult could be bad ;)

And we already had an Order/Amnesia plot.
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

simeonalo wrote:Shattered Memories didn't have any cult whatsoever, I don't see how a game without the cult could be bad ;)

And we already had an Order/Amnesia plot.
I know, I didn't say the game will die without the cult, but you can use SILENT HILL 2 as an example of the Least Cult Activity rather than Shattered Memories, as I don't think it's considered a main part of the series, it's a re-imagining of SH1 and a big promotional campaign for Silent Hill by Konami in order to attract the Wii fans ... and it wasn't really that perfect as a gameplay
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's a main part of the series, it's just not part of the main continuity. There's a difference.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

The gameplay wasn't good? You mean because of the nightmare sequences? A lot of people throw the Wii Remote, while the best way is to just to throw it in quick-short bursts. And Shattered Memories had no cult at all, unlike Silent Hill 2. You seem to consider than every cult game is part of the main series, while every one of them are excluding the portable app ones and the arcade.
Droo

Post by Droo »

After Homecoming AND Origins AND Shattered Memories, an amnesia plot is so done.

It's becoming like "All My Circuits".

"Brace yourself. For when I speak these words you may well suffer an attack of explosive amnesia!"
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Sounds interesting, but I say no.
The cult in Homecoming was ridiculous and I don't want it to come back any time soon.
UNLESS there is a really good reason for it. But a whole game of playing through a cult member.. that's really pushing it. If it were part of a side scenario or an arcade version, sure. But for a main storyline, Nope.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

i'm always up for the Cult, but like Aura said, what other angle can they go with? i mean, sure i bet there's some more twisted/interesting things that can be done, but i'd rather have a story that's not hugely cult related.

i'd also not be in favor a person who's forgotten what the hell they did in order to get to SH. i'd rather we play as someone who's purposely hiding something so F'd up, that all of our jaws drop once we're let in on the big secret.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

so f'up huh and what would you have in mind we turn out to be hitler
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Do you have to be a dick all the time, andi? He's asking for a twist, not Hitler.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Besides, if we take SH3 as canon, the original Silent Hill version of The Order is dead and gone. There may be fragments here or there, and the remaining stragglers may be disbanded without Claudia's support. But, the main cult is gone.
Fixed that for you. :3
Yeah, you're right, but I was more referring to the confirmation of the original cult being no more in Homecoming. That article that mentions the Order becoming defunct after being exposed by Douglas, presumably sometime after SH3. We all assumed it was done without Homecoming, but Homecoming went out and said it.

Of course any significance that might have was pretty much undone by them still having The Order, and just having them be people who weren't really in the Order but then decided to be after The Order was gone and made up their own Order. Sadly, any future game that wants to have The Order can do the exact same thing. But, at the very least, the original Order is definitely no more. I hope eventually fans and developers come to both accept and respect that.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^thanks Aura. yeah, just a shocking twist, something i don't really see coming.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

We all assumed it was done without Homecoming, but Homecoming went out and said it.
Well, SH4 already went out and said it, so Homecoming is entirely redundant.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

AuraTwilight wrote:
We all assumed it was done without Homecoming, but Homecoming went out and said it.
Well, SH4 already went out and said it, so Homecoming is entirely redundant.
Did it? My memory of SH4 is quite hazy. I know Wish House is abandoned and all but my memory tells me I assumed that is because we weren't really at the physical Wish House. Where did it confirm that The Order was definitely no more?

Regardless, that just drives the point home even harder. The series has been trying to shake The Order for a long time. I really hope it finally does so.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Walter Sullivan pretty much killed off the last fragments of leadership the Order had as part of his revenge scheme, and Joseph Schrieber dedicated atleast one memo to espousing how the Order has died off into fragments, though there was always the possibility of it being revived.