How would you guys feel about co-op?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Re: How would you guys feel about co-op?

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Mephisto wrote: ObScure, while it is a good game, is set as a typical "Hollywood teenage nightmare".
Very true. It was one of my favorite games and I play all the time w/ my sister and it is pretty fun because even when there is moments that I am not scared, she gets scared then takes me by surprise. I think if SH8 had a extra option to play co-op, that'd be neat, but the game should not be built to BE a co-op game.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Mephisto wrote:
They did it with Obscure, Dead Rising 2, Gears and other games (Not going to say RE!) so it wouldn't be impossible.
ObScure, while it is a good game, is set as a typical "Hollywood teenage nightmare".
Dead Rising; The only "horror" that you can find in such a game are the zombies, apart from that it's all a plain fun/funny experience.
And Gears of War is a third-person shooter with sci-fi elements. Games like this tends to go multiplayer with just a blink.

The point is, these genres are very different. They're not a psychological horror like SH. This was said many times but the "alone" feel of the SH games are some of it's charms. Placing multiplayer on it would ruin the experience. Many people will think that it's another "zombie killer" game and wouldn't want to solve puzzles with you or whatever the Hell you will be doing.
Yeah, you're right about that there. If they did add Co-Op into the game somewhere, It'd completely lose it's scare factor. Lol, and I see those game are like completely nothing like Silent Hill. Lol!
SPRINGS02 wrote:I don't know about you guys but in general it's a lot harder for me to be scared or nervous when im not alone.
I don't scare easily when I'm not alone either. Reminds me of one of the new L4D2 mutations where I was screaming my butt off and then when I had a crew of friends, it wasn't scary at all. Lol!

I am really hoping that this game is actually scary after all. The trailer didn't do much for me.. and I hope it won't take the direction of SH:SM and completely not be scary at all. Well, the environment did have a bit of a creepy vibe kind of like Alan Wake. I'll just have to wait and see some gameplay!
Ben Trovato
Just Passing Through

Post by Ben Trovato »

Personally, I wouldn't like it.

There are TONS of stories that could fit into that genre... I just don't see SH successfully pulling it off. I mean it's such a personal story, every time...

I believe there are an amazing lot of great venues they could explore before having to even consider this.
"This Whole Thing Is Turning Into A Freakin' Mess!"
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

I know I am VERY late on this... but I finally played Resident Evil 5 two weekends ago with a friend (I got the game forever, never really like the series but got it very cheap so thought I'll play it when I have time.) As much as I don't fancy the storyline, etc, the co-op mode was extremely fun to play. I tried playing the game by myself once and I hated it, but this particular game fits very well with co-op.

Applying this on Silent Hill I don't think it will work, but after trying it on RE5, I do have to say I am less resist with the idea than I was before. Maybe given a very good reason and very good control, this could be a good exception.
AdamMosh
Just Passing Through

Post by AdamMosh »

no co-op please Silent Hill is a stand-alone game
death is in my blood
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

AdamMosh wrote:no co-op please Silent Hill is a stand-alone game
I agree, and also I go by the old saying "be a leader not a follower." Making a Silent Hill game a co op, just to make good sales is dumb. And to me that would be just copying other games that do co op like RE 5 for example.

I always have liked the Silent Hill series because it is different from other games. It's got it's own style compared to other game series.. and to add co op would make it blend in with all the other game series that have co op in the market today.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

David01 wrote:
AdamMosh wrote:no co-op please Silent Hill is a stand-alone game
I agree, and also I go by the old saying "be a leader not a follower." Making a Silent Hill game a co op, just to make good sales is dumb. And to me that would be just copying other games that do co op like RE 5 for example.

I always have liked the Silent Hill series because it is different from other games. It's got it's own style compared to other game series.. and to add co op would make it blend in with all the other game series that have co op in the market today.
Unfortunately good sales are the point of making a game. Games are fun so people will buy them, and they are going to make a game that will bring in the largest amount of buyers. In the end, Alienating 30% of your established fan base to bring in the equivalent of 400% of that fan base is a smart business move.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Exactly. All the major gamers are looking for right now are games that have internet achievements and co-op capabilities. That is where the money is to be made. I think both are fine, and could be done tastefully in a Silent Hill game.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

They can add offline co-op to make their money if they want....but just leave the main campaign single player....that is what the Dead Space franchise is currently doing...and it's actually doing it in a smart way...the offline multi-player is a prequel of sorts to Dead Space 2....showing how the sprawl(the space station) i think it's called, became overrun with those necromorphs thru the player's (you) eyes...right before issac comes onto the scene...

Something like that MIGHT work for silent hill, but i really don't think so.....as somebody mentioned on another forum and i share this notion...the call of duty/halo crowd is in-directly killing these types of psychological horror games...everything is about fast-paced explosions/ rocket launchers and generic FPS's...even if it's a horror game these days it better have fast moving zombies in it.....zombies used to be scary, now they're in every gaming genre` on the market...even red dead redemption has them...it's pathetic...those creatures are a joke now and nothing more than artillery fodder...
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

clips wrote:Something like that MIGHT work for silent hill, but i really don't think so.....as somebody mentioned on another forum and i share this notion...the call of duty/halo crowd is in-directly killing these types of psychological horror games...everything is about fast-paced explosions/ rocket launchers and generic FPS's...even if it's a horror game these days it better have fast moving zombies in it.....zombies used to be scary, now they're in every gaming genre` on the market...even red dead redemption has them...it's pathetic...those creatures are a joke now and nothing more than artillery fodder...
Not true at all, FPS crowd is not killing psychological horror games, believe it or not psychological horror games aren't really that popular. Plus there aren't that many, it's not like there was a shit load of psychological horror games to begin with. Psychological horror is kind of a small genre, which sucks. I also disagree, not everything is about fast paced action and explosions, that applies more specifically for action games and FPS, not games in general. Also while i am a zombie lover i never really thought they were that scary,(except for the infected type zombies in 28 days later and 28 weeks later). Also i see nothing wrong with fast moving zombies, it's a great improvement IMO. It makes them even more dangerous.

Also random sidenote, clips, i happened to have my laptop open around my dad one day, he saw your avatar and was all like "what the hell is that thing?!" i thought it was pretty funny.

Anyway back to the topic, co-op is a definite no no. Playing with another person can definitely take away a lot of the fear a horror game can create, especially for a psychological horror game like silent hill.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Well...that's why i stated..in-directly....it's true that the genre was never really that popular, but i think when RE came on the scene, it kinda re-vitalized the genre a bit, the RE series went on to sell some impressive numbers...along with the SH series and while the SH series sales numbers weren't mindblowing, they still moved respectable units.

What i'm seeing at least in the current gen...is more FPS's being created...which is understandable since it is a very popular and crowded genre`....and again i have to go back to the comments that was made for the first dead space when EA asked their focus group what they wanted to see in the 2nd game...and they stated they wanted issac to be more "badass"....they didn't like that he was underpowered and not fully capable in that game.....the long stretches of unnerving silence in those dark corridors is something those players don't appreciate....all they want is high powered guns and explosions.

This is why i said in-directly....Ea may want to make an errie slow paced scary experience, but because of what the masses prefer today, they have to make adjustments...at the end of the day they're a businesss and are trying to make money(and i understand this)...so they make these adjustments while at the same time, trying to please folks like me, that really don't want issac to be a "badass"....

Heh, and my Avy has that effect on people....i'm still trying to find the short independent film from whence it came...:D
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

Co-op Silent Hill could be incredible. Exploring the town with another intelligent person would help everyone. You could play the game with a friend. Konami should really think about making a co-op silent hill.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
0uiled
Just Passing Through

Post by 0uiled »

Co-op isn't a bad idea, the new game Book of Lost Memories can have up to 4 players.
Silent Hill is like a living thing and the fans are it's blood.
Silent Hill will lose blood time to time but it won't die that easily.
It can still make new blood.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

0uiled wrote:Co-op isn't a bad idea, the new game Book of Lost Memories can have up to 4 players.
It's a novel idea, but one that's dangerously close to tipping over into Mario Party territory.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Cyrus Hanley wrote:
0uiled wrote:Co-op isn't a bad idea, the new game Book of Lost Memories can have up to 4 players.
It's a novel idea, but one that's dangerously close to tipping over into Mario Party territory.
So now anything multiplayer is Mario Party?
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

He probably meant because it (BoM) has the option for more than 2 players at a time it's like Mario Party.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Amy wrote:He probably meant because it (BoM) has the option for more than 2 players at a time it's like Mario Party.
Yes, I understand that, but there were games way before Mario Party that had more than two players. Like Gauntlet, which is the same genre as this game.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

Silent hill is a single player experience.

Usually when you add more people to a horror title, the scare factor tends to go down by a lot.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

Yuki wrote:
Cyrus Hanley wrote:
So now anything multiplayer is Mario Party?
I didn't say that, but if you really want to believe it then go right ahead.
Yuki wrote:
Amy wrote:He probably meant because it (BoM) has the option for more than 2 players at a time it's like Mario Party.
Yes, I understand that, but there were games way before Mario Party that had more than two players. Like Gauntlet, which is the same genre as this game.
Book of Memories is a hack-and-slash dungeon crawl arcade game?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Cyrus Hanley wrote: I didn't say that, but if you really want to believe it then go right ahead.
You said a game with four-player multiplayer comes close to Mario Party. How does that even make sense?
Book of Memories is a hack-and-slash dungeon crawl arcade game?
From what I've seen, yes, it is. Not an arcade, but an action-based dungeon crawler.