Combat.

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Combat.

Post by clips »

Biccard wrote:I read in another topic, that you will be able to adjust the quantity of riddles and combat, so if you want lots of enemies you can max the Action out, and vice versa. But, maybe it wouldn't surprise me, if Vatra implements a targeting system, like the one in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Where the game "pauses", and you have a certain amount of action points which are used to fight. So you can target individual body parts, and then continue the game and your character carries out the hits you've chosen.

Off-topic: To Varg6: Hvor er du fra? Where are you from? I noticed your signature says Det Som Engang Var. That's danish, I'm from Denmark.

RPG elements like Fallout?....I hope not...SH does not need anything like that....the series just needs to stay true to itself.....a strong storyline..interesting characters and disturbing atmospheres with basic combat combat schemes. I'm not a fan of breakable weapons or limited inventory....that just makes the game more annoying. The game can still be entertaining and terrorfying without having to rely on cheap effects and gimmicky gameplay.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Fallout 3's combat is too damn fun and gory to be scary. :D

I agree with clips. Right now the series seems to be either trying out new things that don't work too well, or creating lesser versions of the old games, or both. New SHs should be trying to take the best SHs and top them. They should be always trying to make the best SH, not another game. If they think that something different from SH is better than SH, they aren't as big of SH fans as I am. And if they don't think that route will make enough money for them, don't make another freaking SH game!
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Post by CreEPy pAYPhonE »

Everyone keeps bitching about HCs' combat because it was unavoidable. But think about it. He was a military man, they aren't trained to run. They're only trained to run when they have to. . . But I geuss that's another discussion.
Well, since he's an ex-con I think they should make some kind of make-your-own-weapon mechanic and I don't mean like some kind of gun made from toilet paper tubes and a toothbrush or some other equally immproable weapon. I'm just saying that it would be cool to be able to make shivs and shit. Also, as I stated in another thread, they should try to encorage stealth without taking away your ability to fight like in Siren: Blood curse. I mean, if any of you were in a similar situation which would you be more likely to do. Wander the halls, hoping that you won't run into a demon spawn of Satan or would you try to keep hidden and stick to the shadows. . . Plus, it makes it much more frightening (if you don't believe me then you obviously haven't played Siren). In other words, I think they should be more concerned with stealth than combat. If they do that, than I couldn't care less about combat. . . Don't misunderstand me, however, the last thing I want is another SM. I want the option to fight, conversly, however, I want the option to sneak as well.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

Regarding the combat in HC, there's only one area (not including the bosses, which are unavoidable in all SH games) where you have to fight, (the sewer level) and that was kind of a mini boss anyway, the rest of the time you can avoid enemies just like any other SH game.

About stealth and combat, I agree that both options should be viable, I personally hate games where stealth is the only option and where, if you get spotted, it's an instant game over. However, games where stealth is an available option but so is combat, I always go for stealth. I'm playing through Crysis 2 at the moment and I love the fact that, whilst I can sneak through most areas, if I do happen to get spotted then I have to deal with the consequences, and those consequences are generally that shit hits the fan and the bad guys come down on you like a ton of bricks, bricks that explode.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Konspiracie
Just Passing Through

Post by Konspiracie »

Well, the combat in Downpour seems to be neither like the old games nor like HC. Just judging from what I saw on the gameplay trailer (the 30 second one), I think the combat is going into a Free Flow direction (the scene with the chair in the forest). When I think of games with that system (Arkham Asylum and Mini Ninjas are the only ones I can think of right now), I see how it could work with this game. No specific combos (AAAX), just attacking to save your ass. ;)
"You Disappoint Me; Maybe You're Better Off This Way"
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Freeflow?
I have to admit that would be. . . .Unexpected.
Could you imagine getting attacked by like ten to fifteen monsters and you just start flipping over them, performing Bruce Lee kicks (I like to call them the "WAH-TAHHH" kicks) and crushing a monsters' clenched fist in the palm of your hand because he dared to raise his fist to you? XD XD XD
I hope we can get a long black coat in one of the sidequests so we can get some flowing action to go with the freeflow and some remote control boomerangs! A grappling hook would be fantastic as well because I've wanted to climb down one of those chasms and get a look at what the hell is going on down there and I think a grappling hook would help out quite a lot with that. . . . Some nightvisions goggles. . . . A utility belt. . . . Maybe some x-ray glasses and explosive remote controled chattery teeth. . . Yeah, I think this freeflow thing could really work out well for the Silent Hill franchise.
XD XD XD XD XD XD XD LOLOLOLOLOLOL XD XD XD XD XD XD XD
Holy shit, I crack myself up.
Chill out, man, I'm just kidding.
clips

Post by clips »

I already kinda spoke on this in another thread...but if they could tone down the number of enemies you fight in a certain area (i saw in that last clip that murphy was fighting up to 3 three screamers at once) i think the game would fare better. One enemy alone seems like it's going to be tough,...adding two or three at a time could result in making the enemy encounters irritating and annoying.

Hopefully if there's a difficulty setting, i'll be setting this one to easy, which might be symbolic to SH2's normal enemy setting...don't get me wrong, i like a challenge, and i like tough enemies, but not alot at one time when they're this aggresive and tough....it takes away a bit of the experience when it gets to be that annoying fighting tough enemies...
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

^ Pluh.
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

they did say that if your up against more than 1 Screamer, that its better to run than try fighting. so run fight or hide based on the situation i guess. im sure tweaking till release will keep it from being unbearable.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Silent Hill is one of the few games I really don't like to run, like ever. I spend probably 60% of the game just looking around at the walls, the sky, the floor, the buildings, rooms, outside the windows, etc. I can't stop to really enjoy the world if I have to run all the time because the enemies are trying to gang up on me. It was one of the cons of SH: SM and I really, REALLY hope that it doesn't come to that in Downpour. I hope that by "run" they mean "strategize".
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

I ran out of ammo for guns on my first playthrough of Origins, ...right at the final boss.... ugh. It was my 2nd SH game, first I played alone. I had to playthrough the whole game again and learned the value of the melee weapon. Personally, I want the combat to be like Origins, but have it so the crowbar bends and is unusable, some weapons (wooden ones, glass weappons like bottles) will break, and some weeker weapons, (knives, hammers,) will last you forever.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Honestly, from what I've seen, the combat is better than the previous systems, which is nothing to really be proud of. The combat system always sucked in Silent Hill, which is why I propose a somewhat mixture of combat systems.

Third-person camera like Shattered Memories, dodging keyed to a specific button like Alan Wake, combat which uses more of the human element.

What I mean by human element, is being able to push things to the side, slide or roll underneath things, tackling, etc. Make it so that it is a good compliment to a fantastic story.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

^Do you really think making the combat system more action oriented is the way to go? I don't know if I want strafing, dodging or rolling. I like the earlier combat systems because in a way, stiff combat is more realistic. They need to keep it simple.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Stiff combat is in no way realistic.
I didn't say the people would be like Alex and dodging all the time, far from it. Stamina meters would prevent that. Not to mention, I specifically state the "human element". Regular people can't do fancy rolls and such. They'd be able to use their weapons in a 2 and/or 3 swing hit system, with charge up attacks like the stiff-combat had. But, instead of being stiff, they'd be able to either sneak, run, or hide.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

^ When I swing at my punching bag with a crowbar faster it hits it harder, the charging attack deffinatley is not realistic, and yes, I practice fighting with crow bars >-> Just incase.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

The ability to sneak and hide is good. But let's face it, rolls or dodges aren't realistic at all. If a normal person tries to roll out of the way of an attack, they would crack their head open. Normal people who aren't combat trained also can't "dodge" attacks. Besides the realism factor, I don't necessarily want abilities like that which will make the game more combat oriented. The first 3 games did the combat right.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^I liked Heather's 'dodge left' and 'dodge right' thing. I know what you're saying though--it wasn't really a combat move, it was just being quick on your feet. Moar of that, please.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Tillerman wrote:The ability to sneak and hide is good. But let's face it, rolls or dodges aren't realistic at all. If a normal person tries to roll out of the way of an attack, they would crack their head open. Normal people who aren't combat trained also can't "dodge" attacks. Besides the realism factor, I don't necessarily want abilities like that which will make the game more combat oriented. The first 3 games did the combat right.
I found the combat in all the games so far--minus Homecoming, since I've not played it--to be really clunky. It's not unrealistic to be able to dodge attacks by throwing yourself to the side, though. Rolling and coming out perfectly fine, sure, but by ducking or jumping, it's completely realistic since, y'know, people don't often just stand there as they see a limb flailing toward their face.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

All this talk about realistic dodge-rolls reminds me of Demon's Souls and how, when you're wearing heavy armor, you don't "roll" so much as "desperately hurl yourself to the side, clatter in a heap on the ground, and then desperately scramble back to you feet."
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

^ Thatd be nice actually. realistic, it still dodging, but you also would have to be strategic with it since if you used it alot youd fuck yourself. giving enemies openings. basicly, make sure itd be worth it.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.