Anyone else wish this followed the same style as SM?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Anyone else wish this followed the same style as SM?

Post by David01 »

djdecks2 wrote:to be perfectly i hated shattered memories and would rather they when back and did the normal silent hill

I liked shattered memories, but I also like the original layout of Silent hill and it's mechanics too. And I felt that Shattered memories deviated too much from that formula in a gameplay perspective.

Now story wise Shattered memories was exactly what a Silent Hill title should be like. I loved how the storyline was executed, and how the characters reacted to eachother. I also liked the ending to Shattered memories as well, it was a great twist at least I liked the twist ending to it.

The only thing I didn't like really about Shattered memories, was the fact that you could not defend yourself.

I mean it's ok for the main character to be an everyday average Joe or Jane. But when it gets to where you can't even block off pathways to keep whats chasing you away even for a split second. Then it only become frustrating. Which is something I do not want in a Silent Hill title.

Alot of people Knock Homecoming, but at least it was a Silent Hill you could defend yourself in. Even it it was over the top as far as being too combat heavy. You can have too much of a good thing even in video games. And in Homecoming it was combat that they focused entirely too much on.

In Shattered memories they didn't focus enough on combat, but focused nicely on the storyline which is great. But combat and story should have an even balance when it comes to Silent Hill or any game for that matter.

I just hope that Downpour can pull off the even balance that the Devs are talking about putting into that particular game. Silent Hill 2 was a great game, but it wasn't perfect.

Alot of people call Silent Hill 2 their favorite. I liked Silent Hill 2, don't get me wrong. However there were too many long pauses and it got a bit boring after awhile. The storyline was great, and the tension was great, but that game had way too many long paused for my comfort.

Homecoming and Origins at least had something going on in them most of the the time. Shattered memories same deal, it kept your interest to where it didn't get all that boring too quickly.

Another thing I did not like about Shattered memories, was the fact that while in the normal world, if you wanna call it that. You had no fear, because you knew that nothing would bother you there. Occasionally you had a shadow or something jump out, but that was about it.

In shattered memories, Story was good, gameplay wasn't so good. It felt too much like a point and click adventure rather than a Silent hill title.

But to each his own, SM was good, but as far as Downpour being like it I doubt it. After all the devs said that the game would be going back to the series roots. And I feel that if they did that, then they'd be going back on their word regarding going back to the series roots.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Post by CreEPy pAYPhonE »

No.
Just. . . .
No.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

Well, the gameplay video over on Facebook shows an SM style chase sequence, complete with knocking things over and looking back. It's said that there will be chase sequences in the otherworld levels, but not all of them, and not for the whole level, given where the chaseing bit cuts off. I might also add that the chase scene showed actually feels a lot more tense than the one's in SM did.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

KiramidHead wrote:Well, the gameplay video over on Facebook shows an SM style chase sequence, complete with knocking things over and looking back. It's said that there will be chase sequences in the otherworld levels, but not all of them, and not for the whole level, given where the chaseing bit cuts off. I might also add that the chase scene showed actually feels a lot more tense than the one's in SM did.
The wall moving away just looks mean in that thing. lol
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Nothing against Vatra or Downpour, but I hope Climax gets another crack at Silent Hill. Take SM's core gameplay. Add in one-time use defensive weapons (similar in function to the defense knives in the Resident Evil REmake). Have enemies in the non-nightmare environments. In fact, make the enemy spawn locations random, but keep the enemies few in number. (In the event an enemy spawns by a puzzle, you'd have to lure them away). Those are really the only changes needed.

Since that's not likely to happen, at least give me a remastered HD port, Konami. Do The Room, SM, and Origins in a bundle like the upcoming 2&3 one. Please?
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Hell, they should do an HD remake of the first game, but that's just me talking. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

KiramidHead wrote:Hell, they should do an HD remake of the first game, but that's just me talking. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
I agree completely!
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

I would definitely like to see another game by the Climax guys, I loved the art and characters of SM and feel that they hit upon something that, if balanced out more to include more combat outside of scripted events, they could make an SH game perhaps as good as the originals.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
freako104
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by freako104 »

Not really. I liked SM and all, I would love it if the game kept track of actions akin to SM, but I felt that the lack of combat and the ability for the protagonist, Harry, to defend himself took away from the game. So no I want Murphy to be able to fight as needed. Other than that yes
Vestu
Just Passing Through

Post by Vestu »

No, I don't. SM was an interesting side step for the series but I definitely wouldn't hope the series go further into that direction. It wasn't scary and the icy otherworld just didn't work for me. Downpour seems to be a lot more promising and more Silent Hill than SM, but we'll see.
Just passing through since 2007.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

I think it would be nice to note that recent Downpour gameplay shows some stuff from Shattered Memories' gameplay returning, in terms of wishing Downpour were gameplay-wise like Shattered Memories.
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

I really was not a fan of SM at all. I hope they're as far from that as possible.
AnimalMother
Just Passing Through

Post by AnimalMother »

No, Tom Hulet is a dumb ****.
The only thing I know is nothing
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

simeonalo wrote:I think it would be nice to note that recent Downpour gameplay shows some stuff from Shattered Memories' gameplay returning, in terms of wishing Downpour were gameplay-wise like Shattered Memories.

Except that gaming mechanic was one that alot of gamers didn't like and thought it was implemented poorly in SM...i will say tho that it looks like it'll be implemented a bit better here in Downpour, tho i really didn't care for it in SM.

If they're going to pay homage to older games, they need to focus on making the games more obscure and abstract and terrifyingly disturbing...*Thinks of SH3 & 4*
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

simeonalo wrote:I think it would be nice to note that recent Downpour gameplay shows some stuff from Shattered Memories' gameplay returning, in terms of wishing Downpour were gameplay-wise like Shattered Memories.
Yeah, but hopefully done better, though. If every otherworld sequence is the same chase sequence from the void, it's gonna get old fast just like it did in SM. Also, hopefully they'll remove the ridiculous gameplay mechanic of having you throw stuff in front of the void to slow it down, that's one thing that makes no sense to copy from SM.
xbriannova
Just Passing Through

Post by xbriannova »

Mind if I budge in...

I've seen a Let's Play of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and the person who did the game was noticeably frustrated and irritated by the chase sequence mechanics. Furthermore, while SM's storytelling is well done, one-of-a-kind, the balance of action was way off too. It's an either/or thing there- There's either monsters to run from or nothing at all. It makes things predictable and when things are predictable, it's not as scary- You can't scare a person as much with just anticipation alone. SM's gameplay mechanics aren't something to be emulated.

The way I see it, I agree with the view that there should be a full range of options for the player, including: Running (which is what Harry Mason did best in SH:SM), Stealth (which no Silent Hill protagonist seems capable of) and Combat (Which everyone's capable of but Harry Mason in SH:SM). This would not only delight a wider range of audience, but allow flexibility and compromise so that nobody has to suffer from pent up frustrations.

Of course, this would mean more effort on the part of the game design team as previously. Previously, enemies were designed with an AI that's simple- Home in on player, attack, block if possible, retreat, rinse and repeat (And this is already the more complex one). If there is to be running, stealth and combat, then the AI would need to be outfitted such that the monsters would be able to chase the player, would take into account lighting levels, shadows, noise level and the presence of the player for stealth while at the same time be able to fight effectively. That's like rolling Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Left 4 Dead and... SH:SM's AIs together into one tight package.

Then not to mention the additional content in terms of monster and player animations, sound effects and map design considerations...
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

I would not mind all the analysis crap, but would like some sort of combat and more exploration.

I believe Downpour got it, destructible weapons!
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

I dunno, I always felt combat felt out of place in SH games. It's kind of silly to have the protagonist facing some sort of supernatural hellbeast, only to slay it with a fucking 2x4. The worst-of-the-worst was in Origins, where Travis could punch the unholy abominations in the face as if they were some kind of generic street thugs. I'm not opposed to the idea of using weapons for defense, or to slow the baddies down. But there's no reason I should be able to take out a small army of the things.

Maybe they could combine the chase mechanics with some kind of rudimentary combat (say, taking potshots at the monster as it gives chase to you, in an attempt to slow its progress).
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Post by CreEPy pAYPhonE »

KoRn_Child wrote:I dunno, I always felt combat felt out of place in SH games. It's kind of silly to have the protagonist facing some sort of supernatural hellbeast, only to slay it with a fucking 2x4. The worst-of-the-worst was in Origins, where Travis could punch the unholy abominations in the face as if they were some kind of generic street thugs. I'm not opposed to the idea of using weapons for defense, or to slow the baddies down. But there's no reason I should be able to take out a small army of the things.

Maybe they could combine the chase mechanics with some kind of rudimentary combat (say, taking potshots at the monster as it gives chase to you, in an attempt to slow its progress).
Really!? Travis punching the monsters seemed unrealistic to you? . . .Huh, you had the complete opposite reaction to that than my brother and I did. We were both like "You see. That's more realistic. If I didn't have a weapon then I would totally try and fight them off with my fists if I could as opposed to just. . . .Doing nothing" (of course we were talking about if we were backed into a corner or something and thus would be rendered unable to run away).
As for gameplay. . . .I think I spoke my opinion on the matter two or three times already so I won't say it again.
After all I don't want to annoy people by sounding like a broken record.
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

It's kind of silly to have the protagonist facing some sort of supernatural hellbeast, only to slay it with a fucking 2x4. The worst-of-the-worst was in Origins, where Travis could punch the unholy abominations in the face as if they were some kind of generic street thugs.
.......They look like monsters to you? :twisted:

Seriously though, the point is that we don't know what they are exactly, and frankly I think it's better that the monsters aren't like supernaturally strong for the most part. An average type of person should have a hard enough time taking down something as strong as just a person like them. Afterall, maybe they are just street thugs, that's part of the mystery, right?
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.