Silent Hill: Downpour’s Subway System Explained

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

krakalackin
Gravedigger

Re: Silent Hill: Downpour’s Subway System Explained

Post by krakalackin »

No one said those subways were in Silent Hill. And yes, SH does have a subway now.
You're ignorant to think a subway in Silent Hill makes since. I have been contacting members of the development team pointing out that having the subway in Silent Hill is illogical. Silent Hill has NEVER had a subway nor should it. I live in a city with over 1,000,000 people and we don't need a subway. Silent Hill has +/- 30,000 people! Use your brain man, stop brown nosing the new dev team. Point out mistakes, they look at this forum for God's sake! I'm questionably okay with them getting rid of or changing the "cult" but adding a subway to SH(a declining, small lakeside resort town) is moronic. If you don't understand this then you're extremely ignorant when it comes to city planning. I've been playing this series for 11+ years and this the stupidest idea I have seen yet.

I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking the idea...
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

Maybe the subway is just another manifestation like the abyss.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Wigeke wrote:Maybe the subway is just another manifestation like the abyss.
I hope so. That's the only way it could make sense. For all we know Murphy could be the Subway Killer, or Subway Rapist. Or maybe he was abused/assaulted/whatever in a subway, or, as I posted before, he simply hid from the cops in the subway after doing whateverthehell it was he did to get arrested and sent to jail. Either option would be a better idea than POOF! Silent Hill became a major city and now has major city infrastructure! We won't know for sure until we get our hands on the game though. If it turns out to just be a real subway system underneath a tiny little resort town, then I think Downpour will replace Homecoming and 0rigins (whichever floats your boat...or doesn't) as the most disliked/hated SH game.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

@Krackalackin: I'm not saying it makes sense, but you're seriously overreacting to this. Plus, there's no denying that Silent Hill has gotten bigger over the years. The +/- 30,000 number and "steady decline" thing come from a Q&A with Keiichiro Toyama about SH1, which takes place about 30 years before Downpour. Also, must a video game conform to real life city planning? I don't think so.

@Soulless: I seriously doubt that the subway on its own will make Downpour universally hated or disliked.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

KiramidHead wrote: @Soulless: I seriously doubt that the subway on its own will make Downpour universally hated or disliked.
We're talking about SH fans here. ;)
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^Too true. We are truly a bunch of whiny bitches.
HELLS HOLE CREEK
Just Passing Through

Post by HELLS HOLE CREEK »

subways or transit systems have been done to death in the series I thought they were the most boring sections in 3 and 4 its gonna be another 'oh no not the effing subway part again' sigh.
I found this creek a quiet place... away from the rat race somewhere i can be me... as i stared into that calmness
an a corpse cant laugh =)
Just Passing Through

Post by an a corpse cant laugh =) »

krakalackin wrote:
an a corpse cant laugh =) wrote:
Pleasant Sinner wrote:Well played, Vatra. Here I was thinking, like most others, that we were gonna hitch a ride on a tram of some sorts which kinda struck me as "meh." But after reading that, well, I can't help but to feel that they're gonna do what SH 3+4 did best when it comes to the subway...I'm expecting to be spooked.
haha same! i am VERY relieved to hear thats not the case
Those subways were in Ashfield...Silent Hill doesn't have a subway.
Ah yes good point never thought of that
:x doh!
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

krakalackin wrote:
KiramidHead wrote:I have read both, twice. Nowhere does it say that the subway system is full functional.
The subway existing is the issue not it's functionality.
QFT. I mean, I live in Baltimore, a city leaps and bounds larger than Silent Hill. There is tons of industry with tens of thousands working downtown on a daily basis; more people commute here daily than actually live in Silent Hill.

We certainly have mass transit, but no subway. If it's not feasible here, it's certainly not feasible in SH.
Ben Trovato
Just Passing Through

Post by Ben Trovato »

HELLS HOLE CREEK wrote:subways or transit systems have been done to death in the series I thought they were the most boring sections in 3 and 4 its gonna be another 'oh no not the effing subway part again' sigh.

I disagree. Subway in 3 was better than some other parts of the game (ex: construction building).

Plus if you read correctly, I think it was pointed a few times that you 'don't 'have' to go through there', meaning it can be used to save some time.

On another note... Some people get all bent on a subway system, but are ok with Aliens & Spaceships (even though it's comic relief), endless corridors, rooms that you can rotate with a goddamn cube, having 2 hospitals and a sanitarium all within a few miles of each other, an amusement park, 2 prisons, 2 churches and a goddamn beam saber!

Hell of a 'resort town' if you ask me...
Geez...
:roll:
"This Whole Thing Is Turning Into A Freakin' Mess!"
Lafayette_Reynolds
Just Passing Through

Post by Lafayette_Reynolds »

HELLS HOLE CREEK wrote:subways or transit systems have been done to death in the series I thought they were the most boring sections in 3 and 4 its gonna be another 'oh no not the effing subway part again' sigh.
Not really, as taking the subway is optional.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

@46n2: I should have thought of that, I'm originally from Baltimore. :D
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

Ben Trovato wrote:

I disagree. Subway in 3 was better than some other parts of the game (ex: construction building).

Plus if you read correctly, I think it was pointed a few times that you 'don't 'have' to go through there', meaning it can be used to save some time.

On another note... Some people get all bent on a subway system, but are ok with Aliens & Spaceships (even though it's comic relief), endless corridors, rooms that you can rotate with a goddamn cube, having 2 hospitals and a sanitarium all within a few miles of each other, an amusement park, 2 prisons, 2 churches and a goddamn beam saber!

Geez...
The Subway in 3 was awesome in general, if not solely for the Jacobs Ladder stuff. And it was definitely than the construction building or whatever.

Truth be told, I don't really care if there is a subway system in Downpour or not. There are plenty of instances of the town bending the rules of sanity, common sense, and architecture.
I may be wrong though, but typically, when the town manifests some piece of topographical lunacy (ie: parts of Toluca Prison, The Church in 3) doesn't it usually do so in the otherworld? Maybe that would be a suitable compromise, no Subway in the fog world? Though it appears that it is an actual feature of the real town.

Edit: Cheers to another Baltimoron! Good to see that some escape this cesspool lol.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Ben Trovato wrote: On another note... Some people get all bent on a subway system, but are ok with Aliens & Spaceships (even though it's comic relief), endless corridors, rooms that you can rotate with a goddamn cube, having 2 hospitals and a sanitarium all within a few miles of each other, an amusement park, 2 prisons, 2 churches and a goddamn beam saber!

Geez...
The endless corridors, room with the rotating cube, and at least one prison (from SH2) don't actually exist in the real world. They're in the Abyss. If I remember correctly the prison in SH2 was pulled down a long time before the game. The only thing left of it was the Historical Society building, which apparently was originally a part of the prison.
According to the maps from the games set after 0rigins, Cedar Groove Sanitarium also no longer exists. Also, one of the hospitals is a mental health institution (as of Homecoming that would be Alchemilla), where as the other would be general purpose (I assume. After SH3 there's been no mention of Brookhaven). As for Churches, I don't know about small American towns, but my home town has about 4 or 5 different Churches, and the town population is now just under 10,000. Most of the stuff you mentioned can be understandable and put down to town growth (expect for the prison in Homecoming. That didn't make sense).

46n2 wrote: Truth be told, I don't really care if there is a subway system in Downpour or not. There are plenty of instances of the town bending the rules of sanity, common sense, and architecture.
I may be wrong though, but typically, when the town manifests some piece of topographical lunacy (ie: parts of Toluca Prison, The Church in 3) doesn't it usually do so in the otherworld? Maybe that would be a suitable compromise, no Subway in the fog world? Though it appears that it is an actual feature of the real town.
Yep, parts of Toluca Prison as well as the Church from SH3 were created by the otherworld and don't exist in the real world. Like I said, the Historical Society building in SH2 is apparently all that stands of the original prison. I recall seeing a map comparing the two buildings in a thread here somewhere, but I don't remember where.

Anyway, regardless of whether or not anyone likes it, Silent Hill now apparently has its own subway system. Sure, it'll seem out of place, but what can we do about it? I'm just hoping that its creation adds to the story (like already mentioned a few times; a manifestation), but I'm not holding out any hope.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Is it possible that time is going to be an important element in this game? We already know it has connections to the distant past with the comics. Why can't the subway actually be something that hasn't yet been constructed? Traveling to the past and future - even passively witnessing things and seeing them cross over into the present - could be really cool.
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

Soulless-Shadow wrote: Anyway, regardless of whether or not anyone likes it, Silent Hill now apparently has its own subway system. Sure, it'll seem out of place, but what can we do about it? I'm just hoping that its creation adds to the story (like already mentioned a few times; a manifestation), but I'm not holding out any hope.
You're right, sense or no, it's there. No use wringing our hands over it. :lol:

The only way it wouldn't bother me at all is if it were a manifestation, but the screens so far look like they take place in the Fog World so yeah... I'm not exactly holding out either. Besides, they said it's a shortcut, which would mean we'd probably have to see the entire town pull an Otherworld shift.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ The entire town shifting into Otherworld would make up for the subway for me. Seeing the whole town flodded with rain might be kinda incredible. Of course if there's metal grating everywhere like the old days it wouldn't really matter lol.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
HELLS HOLE CREEK
Just Passing Through

Post by HELLS HOLE CREEK »

Water is not scary though unless they call the game 'sh:hells hole creek' or maybe not. Murphy might not know how to swim and thats the fear manifesting in town and he couldn't save the children so he watched as they drowned
I found this creek a quiet place... away from the rat race somewhere i can be me... as i stared into that calmness
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

HELLS HOLE CREEK wrote:Water is not scary though

Really? Tell that to the people of Japan.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

stopped_clock wrote:Really? Tell that to the people of Japan.
Really dude? REALLY?! What's going on in Japan is horrible, but what does that have to do with the game?

And I agree, water isn't scary.