False Attention: Murphy's Eyes

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Spinlock
Just Passing Through

False Attention: Murphy's Eyes

Post by Spinlock »

Hey. First post.

I noticed Murphy's left eye is off center...

Then I remembered this little bit from Silent Hill 3

"Vincent always appears to have one eye looking directly at the player, and the other eye looking away (known as false attention)."
- silenthill.wikia.com

You think this might just be a simple character flaw for realism and detail or a subtle hint?

Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: False Attention: Murphy's Eyes

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I don't think his left eye is off center. I think he's looking slightly to the left with both eyes, but you could be right. If so, perhaps that indicates that Murphy may have been a very good liar, or he fears facing whatever he did wrong.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Touch Coma
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Touch Coma »

I hope its not a subtle hint, that would be really lame. Besides, wasn't it stated in an interview with one of the developers that they didn't want to copy Sh2's key plot twist? I hope Murhpy's role is similar to Henry's role in SH4, I don't want to play the whole game waiting for a reveal that I know is coming.

That aside, the game is still in Alpha right? It may just be a glitch.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Nvixurx.jpg?1[/IMG]
dano66
Just Passing Through

Post by dano66 »

It could be the angle, but in real life almost everyones eyes are actually off center a bit, there hardly ever perfect?
Spinlock
Just Passing Through

Post by Spinlock »

Based on the inspiration and interviews so far, I think he's he one with the big secret that'll be revealed at the end of the game. I hope not, but it seems that's the case. It would be great if he was completely aware of his past the entire game and the stuff in Silent Hill was just insult to injury or some kind of internal revenge.

Another image. His eyes still look off-center to me. Maybe it's just me.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, and regarding it being a "bug", there's little to no chance of that. Vatra wouldn't release a screenshot with a big bug square in the face of the character.

five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I'm not sure just how off center they are (whether it's enough to give credence to the possibility of false attention or not) but I can definitely see why it would be thought they are. I honestly can't tell if it's the angles (notice he's never 100% facing forward in either of those shots with the bum eye), intentional, or symbolic. As of right now I'm willing to believe it's just a neat little flaw to make him seem more human and that makes him more endearing to me so I'll stick with it until further notice.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I doubt they're going to go the "Eddie route" with him, but who knows?
Nobody's eyes are perfectly centered, as was already stated. Maybe they wanted more realism on him?
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I noticed the eye being off center, me being an artist myself. When I do portraits I try and give little flaws to the people I'm drawing to create a bit more realism. Because as one of the other posters put, it shows realism that you see in everyday average people. Or it could be intentional as well, who knows we will not know for sure until the game is released.

Otherwise the flaw is so small, that it's hardly noticable unless you're looking for the flaw. Actually I did not notice this flaw with the eye being off center, til y'all started this topic. And believe me I've looked at quite a few screens of the game up til now.

It could either be an intentional flaw, or it could be a slight glitch pre-alpha.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Post by CreEPy pAYPhonE »

I never noticed till now but. . . . .Put some glasses on the guy and who does he look like. . . ?
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

CreEPy pAYPhonE wrote:I never noticed till now but. . . . .Put some glasses on the guy and who does he look like. . . ?
Not Clark Kent, if that's what you're suggesting. Or Harry, or Vincent.
country matters
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

SilentRobert23 wrote:
CreEPy pAYPhonE wrote:I never noticed till now but. . . . .Put some glasses on the guy and who does he look like. . . ?
Not Clark Kent, if that's what you're suggesting. Or Harry, or Vincent.

I would say in my opinion that he looks a bit like Vincent with Glasses on. But this is only slightly by comparison, not exactly. To me he looks a bit more like a cross between Solid Snake and Henry from Silent Hill 4 The room.

As I said before though, the eye being off center is so slight. That you really don't notice it unless you're really looking for little flaws and being nit picky about it. To me this slight flaw isn't all that terrible really.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
xhoney_vanityx
Just Passing Through

Post by xhoney_vanityx »

Well, the first picture of Murphy caught my attention, and I thought he looked a little odd...(derpish is a better term, but I'll try not to offend and just say it looks slightly off).

Though, now that I look at it, it could just be him looking slightly to the left.

His eyes aren't a freaky as Vincent's, that's for sure. Vincent's slight difference in the size of his pupils coupled with his crazed facial expressions used to give me chills.
Xev

Post by Xev »

Looks like the angle, if you look at the left eye you see more white space to the left side indicating both eyes are looking to the right.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

David01 wrote:To me he looks a bit more like a cross between Solid Snake and Henry from Silent Hill 4 The room.
lol'd

I always thought he looked like James and Henry's lovechild. He's got the hairstyle from Henry, color from James, and his build and facial structure is like an odd mix of both as well.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

^ I never thought of it this way, but now...I can only think of James, Henry and Murphy in a threesome. Which isn't a bad thing.

Anyway, I don't believe his left eye is off center. But who knows, it could be true. I don't see any screens out yet that have convinced me. It would be a great detail to add to a character, considering what difference it could possibly make having a character with normal eyes versus one with an eye that is somewhat wandering. I'd feel like that character would have a hard time navigating in a place like Silent Hill, but I also don't have one eye that is lazy or off centered, so I have no idea how those people see.

If anything about Murphy's eyes, I'd say they're a little close together, but this could just be the angle I've seen them in from what screens are out. And either way, he's a sexbeast.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3