New teaser trailer!

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

liquidus118
Just Passing Through

Re: New teaser trailer!

Post by liquidus118 »

If this is the best gameplay they could find to put in a trailer then I'm a bit worried as to what the actual game will be like. It looked atmospheric enough but the enemies looked like people in Halloween costumes with uninspired, generic sound effects. The camera looked disorienting and cumbersome whilst the controls seemed clunky. It also looked alarmingly like Homecoming, though I assume it's on the same engine so that's to be expected.

All in all I'm hoping that the gameplay shown at E3 will be more impressive than this.

I like the weapons system, though. It looks like you use whatever you can grab which is what I've always wanted in a Silent Hill game.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Remember this is still in development so chances are they are place holders, remember how Silent Hill Origins used to look. I think they will deffo polish this game up a lot more before we get to play it.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

^ Not only this, but most of what is seen happens really quick. It's like, not even 30 seconds. I hope there are some parts of the E3 trailer that focus on the Otherworld shift, so we can see what that's really like, and more basic Otherworld stuff. More monsters, too. And characters, and maybe a few yummy cinemas that help expand the story some. I'd also like to see an example of a "choice" sequence that was mentioned in a preview. More music, too. And weapons. Basically, everything. I want more. Which is awesome though, because I haven't felt this way about a game since Dead Space 2 or the new upcoming Tomb Raider game.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Ooh nice. Looked great but I`m kind of getting sick of seeing the forest parts, wish they would show bits of a few other locales. My only minor irk is that the otherworld seems to ``animated`` for lack of a better term, or too busy and not subtle. Of course I am judging this based of a 3 second clip of him going down a waterslide (which looked neat by the way) so most likely I`m jumping to conclusions. Anyway still looking very forward to my next SH fix.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

liquidus118 wrote:If this is the best gameplay they could find to put in a trailer then I'm a bit worried as to what the actual game will be like. It looked atmospheric enough but the enemies looked like people in Halloween costumes with uninspired, generic sound effects. The camera looked disorienting and cumbersome whilst the controls seemed clunky. It also looked alarmingly like Homecoming, though I assume it's on the same engine so that's to be expected.
I believe these are bits captured from a playthrough of the demo that they'll have at E3. Probably just something they tossed together last minute for the Facebook thing. Any official trailers have likely already been selected and done and kept on file ready for their pre-E3 showing and the show floor demo.

Also it's not the same engine as Homecoming. This one is running on a modified UnReal Engine.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Almost everything uses the Unreal Engine these days, but that just shows how adaptive it can be.

The sliding part looks interesting but, like has been said, we're not really shown much. I like that prospect, however; it might mean that we get to really interact with the Otherworld unlike in past titles where it was almost just an aesthetic change. I say almost because, usually, new routes would open as well as new locations but, even so, you went through it as linearly as before; find item, progress, try doors until one opens, find key, unlock door, complete puzzle. It just shows that they're trying some new and different things and I like that.

However, I'm really not fond of that spinning camera while fighting. I hope that was just a thing they added/controlled for the trailer so you could see the action better but if it's actually in the game it'll be very disorienting to me.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

Noticed a glitch with Murphy's shadow at one point. Camera looks like it's pretty bad. Game is still in development, though, so I'm optimistic.
country matters
CondescendingMan
Just Passing Through

Post by CondescendingMan »

I love it. I also want a DEATHWATER SLIDE myself.
If darkness fowls your water clean. Drink it anyway its not obscene.
If lost and shrowded in the fog don't respond to the barks of dogs.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Very little to go on, but that's exactly what a teaser should be.
I hope they don't reveal too much at E3. The less that's revealed, the more to be discovered when it's released. I already hate how they spoiled an early on part when the cop falls. I would've never guessed that would happen.
Anyways about the teaser... Haha.
It looks splendid. I love the art direction. The screenshots are lovely too, but seeing it in motion drives it home.

I keep replaying the very beginning where Murphy's walking forward. He turns slighty a few times, & I'm trying to figure out how he's being controlled. Is it "Tank" controls? The way he's moving seems to indicate that.

And about the "Screamers". I think they look great! I find them quite frightening. Look at the way they move & sound. And they're seemingly very aggressive. I say this because of the instantly attacking one that goes for Murphy right after he uses the chair. They aren't waiting in line to kill Murphy like some other enemies seemed to do in previous SH's
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

They're definately not using tank controls anymore, especially given that you can control the camera for the most part as this would make things nightmarish to control... It's possible that the camera could pull in closer or move further away or take a fixed position during certain times or in certain areas.

I also love how the screamers move when idling. Their design and movement definately tell you that this is an enemy you're better off getting the hell away from. Also it looks like they appear or disappear in a mist of water or something...

Framerates and other glitches are usually ironed out closer to the release when everything is set in place and all that's left is optimizing.

As for the camera, we can't judge it from these short clips. For all we know the camera movements for the trailer have been made purposefully erratic to convey tension. Past Silent Hill trailers also used close up shots and shaky cam that aren't necessarily how the camera would actually control in the game.
Pyramid Head15
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramid Head15 »

Wait thats the unreal engine?! I would have never guessed....
Because you protected the ephemeral and flickering world with your hands
Now you may simply fold your wings and rest in peace
Wrapped in eternal tranquility, love through all eternity-Persona 3
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

thanks for the links.

Uh, i didn't really see anything in the trailer that made me think of Alan Wake... I'll admit, some of the screenshots we've been shown previously resemble AW, but that trailer? nah.
Anyhow, there wasn't enough shown to really get a good handle on how combat will be.

the camera looks fine imo, but im used to the camera moving about like that due to playing a lot of action games. Plus, we also don't know if the camera was being controlled by the player, or if Vatra had it moving like that for the trailer. either way, this trailer did what was intended, which was to scratch that minor itch while waiting for E3.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Just a quick analysis and screencap of the Screamers from the teaser trailer.

First thing, I noticed that the Screamers have decomposing bodies and they have pale faces. Their arms are nothing but fists/stumps with spikes driven through them, and they wildly swing their arms to attack. When one enemy attacks, another uses the advantage and attacks as well. They appear in groups from what we've seen. It has been pointed out that they may appear in a misty cloud type of thing.

Here's the cloud thing surrounding the Screamers:

Here's a closeup of the Screamer's face. They all look kind of different in each scene because their hair moves around. It's about to attack Murphy.

Here's another, low quality, image of the Screamer's face to the left. Looks angry.

Here's an image of a Screamer doing that flail-my-arms at Murphy thing:

A close-up of the Screamer's spiked hands.

Screamers, the one to the right reminds me of the SH-movie Nurse pose.

Misc. Screamer Images:

SilverWolfPet
Just Passing Through

Post by SilverWolfPet »

Those "dreads" remind me of Indians, somehow. Hm!
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

They look like they have drowned.... like their bodies have been submerged in water for years.... I like it
SilverWolfPet
Just Passing Through

Post by SilverWolfPet »

Any thoughts on those spikes? Three spikes on each hand...

Spike + Hand makes me think of religious connotations, but I doubt that is the case here. And why three?
dano66
Just Passing Through

Post by dano66 »

Seeing those still frames of the screamers actually creep me out more than I thought they would?
It was hard to see there features in the trailer.
I think Im gonna like the monster design in this game, I cant wait to see more :)
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

These are the only monsters I've gotten a peak at so far, so I'm hoping there are more that are more... unique and monstrous than this? If there are, then I will like them a whole lot more but strictly humanoid monsters with faces like these just make me think there might've been a misunderstanding and zombies come to mind.

Please no zombies in Silent Hill that's just silly.

As for the three spikes, that's a really interesting point... It's a stretch but all I can figure for "why three?" are the three circles in the center of the Halo of the Sun. I hope it's not that but that's what always springs to mind for me at the mention of the number three in Silent Hill. Great stills, Simeonalo, you can really get more subtle details off of these.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^or it could just be that there's 3 spikes sticking out of their hands. no wait, maybe it's a reference to Wolverine of the X-men?!
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

OF COURSE
That must be it. Murphy's afraid of zombie Wolverine.
Gee willickers, we have this game figured out.