let's talk about the graphics

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: let's talk about the graphics

Post by Tillerman »

KiramidHead wrote:P.S. @Tillerman: I think you're confusing music with overall sound design. The use of general sound can make or break a horror experience, I agree. But music, not as much.
Not at all. Sound design is important too, but not nearly as important to me as music. Music is absolutely the most important thing, as is a big reason I like the Silent Hill games so much.
Yekoto
Just Passing Through

Post by Yekoto »

SPRINGS02 wrote:^Wait a minute minecraft? Really?

"The game involves players creating and destroying various types of blocks in a three dimensional environment. The player takes an avatar that can destroy or create blocks, forming fantastic structures, creations and artwork across the various multiplayer servers in multiple game modes. " Is this the same minecraft you're talking about because if it is im kind of wondering how a game like that could be scary at all. I've heard minecraft is great but i haven't heard anything about it being scary.

yes, minecraft at times, is very very scary even with 16x16 textures and being blocked based when exploring caves. Creepers HIDE around corners waiting for players to get close instead of just charging at you. The music rarely plays (but plays some times) so the silence is chilling. On top of that, they recorded cave noises which includes a few echoing screams which can startle you at the worst moments. The most scary thing in minecraft is... "nothing" and the unknown.

Anyways, on topic. I don't care about graphics. Graphics only enhances game play so much. Past that point it really doesn't matter. So as long as it looks good, I'm happy. What really helps flush stuff out is the sounds.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

Regarding graphics:

http://helldescent.com/2011/06/08/eight ... r-from-e3/

I haven't finished watching the demo, but I have to say, I'm not digging the font they're using. I think the graphics are quite nice, but that font... :/
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Yeah, I'm not really liking it either. It looks like a distressed version of American Typewriter, but not liking it for subtitles.
I'm sure subtitles will be completely optional, though.

I've only seen that brief part in the kitchen with the sprinklers, but I am trying to avoid the rest of that demo. : P
Yekoto
Just Passing Through

Post by Yekoto »

After watching the demo, got to say, I am loving the foggy forest with light beams piercing through the trees.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Typographenia wrote:Yeah, I'm not really liking it either. It looks like a distressed version of American Typewriter, but not liking it for subtitles.
I'm sure subtitles will be completely optional, though.

I've only seen that brief part in the kitchen with the sprinklers, but I am trying to avoid the rest of that demo. : P
It's really short, and there are literally no spoilers in there. All it is is a tiny bit of combat and a chase sequence, I'd guess from the beginning of the game. It's about as spoilerrific as the demo for Shattered Memories was; that is to say, nothing. It just shows off a bit of gameplay.

I wouldn't even mind the font if they made it ever-so-slightly more even. I like how it's sliiiightly wiggly, but having every other letter be a different size is awful.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Yuki wrote:I wouldn't even mind the font if they made it ever-so-slightly more even. I like how it's sliiiightly wiggly, but having every other letter be a different size is awful.
I have never watched the movie "Avatar," and I never will. I saw a clip of it once in a store, and the way they handled subtitles was unbelievable. Not only did they use that terrible, slightly-altered version of Papyrus, but it's so difficult to read. Subtitles are there for you to read, first and foremost, not be decorative.
Edit: oh yeah, and the movie just doesn't appeal to my tastes either, but that's beside the point./edit

I might go ahead and watch the demo, then, since it isn't too spoilery. I don't know!
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Typographenia wrote:
Yuki wrote:I wouldn't even mind the font if they made it ever-so-slightly more even. I like how it's sliiiightly wiggly, but having every other letter be a different size is awful.
I have never watched the movie "Avatar," and I never will. I saw a clip of it once in a store, and the way they handled subtitles was unbelievable. Not only did they use that terrible, slightly-altered version of Papyrus, but it's so difficult to read. Subtitles are there for you to read, first and foremost, not be decorative.
Edit: oh yeah, and the movie just doesn't appeal to my tastes either, but that's beside the point./edit

I might go ahead and watch the demo, then, since it isn't too spoilery. I don't know!
Oh, god, Avatar. I strongly disliked the movie, and I'm not a fan of Papyrus. I just think that the subs on this could be tweaked slightly to keep the flavour yet be legible. Then again, I'm not a graphic designer.

The demo seems to skip story scenes. You see Murphy run around a bit, you see an Otherworld transition, and you see a Screamer. That's mostly it.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

About the only thing that seems spoilerish to me are the voices Murphy hears, but they don't say much that is important.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

KiramidHead wrote:About the only thing that seems spoilerish to me are the voices Murphy hears, but they don't say much that is important.
Do you mean that random "Murphy, run!" subtitle? Other than that, the rest of it is Murphy talking to himself.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I thought that the one point when he was in the junkyard or something it was Howard Blackwood talking to him in his head or something. I could be wrong, though.

The line: "You can't run from some things that you've done, Murph. But you can face up to them."
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

KiramidHead wrote:I thought that the one point when he was in the junkyard or something it was Howard Blackwood talking to him in his head or something. I could be wrong, though.

The line: "You can't run from some things that you've done, Murph. But you can face up to them."
Nope, that was Murphy talking to himself. I believe one of the producers talking over the clip mentioned it was placeholder text for now, and they needed to tweak it since Murphy talked so much that he seemed crazy.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Well, to be fair, I'd be talking to myself from the moment I walked past the big sign. And I'm not even crazy, that I know of.