Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 09 Dec 2019

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: Screamers theory [unmarked Past Life spoilers]

Missing since: 23 May 2004
Notes left: 233
Last seen at: Proud citizen of Portlandia.
I still really like this theory. I prefer to look at it as dual symbolism; Screamers represent the spirit of the land, and they also could be looked at as representing his personal issues.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
(Murphy's wife, maybe? With the screaming and how it disables him, that's what i thought., especially in light of that letter you find from her near the end of the game. She seems pretty unforgiving and cold, what with blaming solely him for what happened to their son. I bet she did a lot of screaming at him).

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
I disagree with Screamers having anything to do with Carol, if only because Cunningham and Ricks both are attacked by them. There are also an awful lot of Screamers out there.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Which isn't really a strike against the idea because monsters can meat different things (or even have different appearances) to other people. Even if the Screamers are spirits of Silent Hill, their appearance means something, I'm sure.

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
I had a thought that the monsters throughout the series are the Spirits, while their characteristics and physical form are based on whatever person they are derived from. Like the Spirits attatch to those emotions/thoughts.
But then I thought of everything that contridicts that theory and laughed. lol
After playing Downpour, I honestly seen no real connections to Past Life's story or with any of the games really. While it was a good stand alone story, it was about as useful an origin type story as Origins was.

RESPECT

PAST LIFE has several superficial connections to the SILENT HILL series—Seth Creviston is the sheriff in PAST LIFE, Steven Creviston is Overlook Penitentiary's warden; Rev. Stone in PAST LIFE is Jimmy Stone's descendent; Howard Blackwood is the potsmaster in PAST LIFE while another Howard Blackwood is the letter-carrier in DOWNPOUR—but it also explores the origins of the Order's belief system, and how it integrated an event, the fire, with the birth and rebirth of a young woman, Awinita.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Quote:
I had a thought that the monsters throughout the series are the Spirits, while their characteristics and physical form are based on whatever person they are derived from. Like the Spirits attatch to those emotions/thoughts.
But then I thought of everything that contridicts that theory and laughed. lol

What contradicts it?

The Adversary wrote:
PAST LIFE has several superficial connections to the SILENT HILL series—Seth Creviston is the sheriff in PAST LIFE, Steven Creviston is Overlook Penitentiary's warden; Rev. Stone in PAST LIFE is Jimmy Stone's descendent; Howard Blackwood is the potsmaster in PAST LIFE while another Howard Blackwood is the letter-carrier in DOWNPOUR—but it also explores the origins of the Order's belief system, and how it integrated an event, the fire, with the birth and rebirth of a young woman, Awinita.

I didn't catch the names or think about the belief system while I was reading. Proboly should've re-read it. Seems more interesting now. lol

@Auratwilight:
When I wrote that I had the wrong definition of manifestaions in mind. I know quite a bit about the mythologies and lore of Silent Hill, but tend to forget alot of things when I need to know them. (hence me never posting theories.)
So unless someone that remembers their stuff better than I do finds the contridictions, I guess I don't really see one either at the moment. Again.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 15 Nov 2011
Notes left: 142
I still think the screamer is just murphy's ex-wife :p

The Adversary wrote:
I disagree with Screamers having anything to do with Carol, if only because Cunningham and Ricks both are attacked by them. There are also an awful lot of Screamers out there.

I think that when you're close to someone, you can get into this person's "universe", in silent hill.

Just like James was able to see the abstract daddy, even though it was a manifestation of Angela's mind, not James's.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 05 Mar 2011
Notes left: 52
CandyLander wrote:
I still think the screamer is just murphy's ex-wife :p

The Adversary wrote:

I think that when you're close to someone, you can get into this person's "universe", in silent hill.

Just like James was able to see the abstract daddy, even though it was a manifestation of Angela's mind, not James's.

One can get to see other's manifestation if they can represent something to you as well. Example, Eddie saw people that made fun of him, James saw himself. For nothing Maria stayed away from Pete's Bowl-O-Rama

[Reveal] Spoiler:
There are four characters that see the Screamers, but just Murphy knew Carol. How, then, screamers can relate to the other characters?

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 06 Nov 2011
Notes left: 405
Luotka Snih wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
There are four characters that see the Screamers, but just Murphy knew Carol. How, then, screamers can relate to the other characters?

Who knows? What about the general belief that the Abstract Daddy means something about James, even though it was most likely made from Angela's mind, and he just happened to walk in on the encounter?

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
Last seen at: Kentucky
^It's even shown in the game that Anne influences Murphy through monsters (The Wheelman for sure), so it's highly likely to be vice versa. Also, the Screamers may have many meanings. The Screamers don't have to only be part of Murphy's past. The Wheelman is part of both Anne and Murphy's, but his form is influenced by Anne's memory of him in a wheelchair, which Murphy never knew, since he thought that Frank was dead.

Just Passing Through

here's my new screamers idea:

in the extras, it says the murphy saw the nuns as a mother-like figure. That makes the screamer theory (that i'm not gonna call mine, because somoene must already have had that idea) even better. The screamer is a mother figure, the way murphy's traumatic childhood makes him see his mother, and all women

The extras aren't canon.

^ Has that been officially stated? Because if so, that makes them pointless.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 05 Nov 2010
Notes left: 993
Tomm Hulett stated somewhere that the extras were not written by himself, Devin Shatsky, or Tom Waltz, "so take with a grain of salt, please," is what I remember him saying.

It is extremely disheartening to know that you can either take-or-leave the information that the "extras" provide. It supposedly gives direct insight into Murphy & the rest of the cast; yet can be tossed aside like it doesn't exist... :(

Just Passing Through

^ well, i think the extras are canon, take a look at this

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/File:S ... reamer.jpg

this is an artwork of the screamers. Now look at the first picture, do you see something different with that "pre-screamer"? Exactly, a cross. That screamer is a nun. Murphy grew up in an orphanage (acording to the theory). The nuns of the orphanage are the closest thing he had to a mother figure. The screamer is a mother figure, the way murphy's traumatic childhood makes him see his mother, and all women

And there's more. At the orphanage, there's that one hole on the ground. There are screamers coming out of it. Maybe all the screamers on the game came from that one place.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Just like the way that the boogeyman coming out of the water (when you're going to battle him) implies that the boogeyman was created at the moment charlie died, the screamers coming out of that hole on the ground could imply that they were created because of murphy's traumatic childhood at the orphanage. The earthquakes could also be symbolic, but i can't think of anything right now

@edit: okay, the screamer is not a nun, but it's a religious figure. I didn't mean that everyone with a cross is a nun, but crosses must make murphy remember of the orphanat

Last edited by CandyLander on 10 May 2012, edited 3 times in total.

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
^Tomm said to 'take them with a grain of salt.' I'm not sure if that exactly means that all of the extras are farfetch'd, or maybe parts of them are. I have no idea. But, I do suggest taking his advice and taking them with 'a grain of salt.'

Ultimately, if Tomm says something concerning this game, then it should be listened to. Tomm knows what he's talking about and he's not feeding us false information.

I really wish the Extras hadn't been put in the game if they can't be believed. That kind of ticks me off...

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
CandyLander wrote:
Now look at the first picture, do you see something different with that "pre-screamer"? Exactly, a cross. That screamer is a nun.

Everyone who wears a cross is a nun? I don't think so. She'd be wearing very different clothing if the artist was trying to portray a nun.

Regarding the extras, I'm generally inclined to take them as truth, just not to the extent that I can use them as evidence to support or deny any theory. They're true until something contradicts them, at least to me.

RESPECT

>They're true until something contradicts them, at least to me.<
Well, the game's producer basically denounced them. I would constitute that as contradicting them, personally.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
As I recall, Tomm merely stated that he didn't write the extras and they should be taken "with a grain of salt." He didn't say that they were patently untrue. I take his meaning thusly:

"The creators of Downpour and any future Silent Hill titles reserve the right to declare any of this information false if it creates an inconsistency with the story we want to tell."

I'm prepared for a retcon of any or all of that information, but I personally don't want to dismiss it until I have to because it's a nice little addition to the characters' background. That's just me, though, and I certainly won't try to argue the objective validity of the extras.

Let me put it this way: I view it as fan fiction, but as it was written by a person who worked on the game (and inserted into the game), I'll go with it. At least to a point.