Jonas Leek and Murphy Pendleton

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Jonas Leek and Murphy Pendleton

Post by The Adversary »

In Silent Hill: Past Life, a character named Jonas Leek is introduced. He owns, or owned, Leek's Tavern on the main strip of Silent Hill in 1867. In the original pressing of Past Life, the page was drawn by a different artist. However, for the trade paperback edition, released in April/May 2011, that page was changed drastically and Jonas Leek was explicitly depicted, along with the other key characters in the story. In other drawings, Jonas Leek doesn't look particularly . . . well, interesting—meaning this one depiction was undoubtedly done to emphasize him, or at least his appearance.

Jonas Leek, 1867

He looks, to me, strikingly like Downpour's main character, Murphy Pendleton.

Murphy Pendleton, ca. 2011
Last edited by The Adversary on 26 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: Jonas Leek and Murphy Pendleton

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Damn, what a resemblance! This is amazing! I'm thinking that Leek is perhaps an ancestor of Pendleton's?
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I saw this when you first mentioned it in another Past Life thread, but could you possibly upload the original page for comparison? I'd love to see the difference.
SilverWolfPet
Just Passing Through

Post by SilverWolfPet »

Initially, I wanted to say that both characters just have manly facial features (big nose, solid chin line, low eyebrows etc.) ...but looking closely, I think you just stumbled upon something brilliant!

There is a huge resemblance between them!

Okay, theory: What if Murphy is not really Murphy? What if this time, the main character doesn't forget what he's done... he just forgets who he is! And the town slowly reminds him...
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Id rather the protaganist not be forgetting anything for this story.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Probably just a descendant if anything. Maybe the angle here is that Silent Hill isn't necessarily limited to reaching into your personal past, but your past all the way back to your great granpas? Could be interesting... Maybe it's a way to further expore the town's past as well...
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I noticed this too when I read through Past Life. The fact that they both have collars on their clothes, along with similar hair styles makes it even more convincing than them just looking alike in the face.

Though it's pretty interesting that they resemble each other, I hope the game doesn't draw too much from the comic in any aspect. First, it wouldn't exactly be fair to those players that aren't aware of the comic, or aren't able to get it for whatever reason. Secondly, the comic was a wonderful read, especially compared to the past comics, but was far too predictable for me. Of course a game may have more dimensions than a comic, but my fear would be that the game might be that much more predictable because of its linkage to the comic. But I could be totally wrong about thinking of it this way: Downpour could be connected in many ways to the comic and come out surprisingly pleasing and unpredictable.

I'm primarily hoping for the unpredictable aspect, because I've recently been bombarded by stories with problems due to predictability, in both the gaming world and other forms of media. And hoping that Murphy isn't another character "forgetting" something about his past that the whole story is supported by.

It's still pretty cool to see this resemblance, especially since it gives us something to ponder until we're fed more footage or story details. Just wish I could come up with a good theory on why they looks so much alike. The best I have is that Leek could be an ancestor, which is intriguing, but really only raises more interesting questions, like why? Or how it could even be possible, since
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Leek was murdered. Unless he had a kid before being killed, or had surviving siblings/relatives that could carry on genes to eventually cause Murphy to look like him.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

Hate to bump this... but what about the possibility that Murphy is Leek reincarnated?
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

VenusDoom wrote:Hate to bump this... but what about the possibility that Murphy is Leek reincarnated?
They'd have to explain who Leek was in the game, then. I'm pretty sure Tom Waltz said that while Past Life ties into Downpour, it's not necessary to read it to understand the game's plot.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i would hope you dont have to read the comic as i dont have the money to purchase it
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

*piract comment removed, sorry, -.-'* It's only 4-20 bucks to own 4 issues or the trade back though.
Last edited by VenusDoom on 18 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

^ I don't think you're allowed to promote piracy. lol
Aerith Gainsborough

^Nope, you are certainly not.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I feel he's probably some type of ancestor to that Jonas Leek individual....honestly.... that is the only connection he can have since Past Life took place back in 1867...

And uhm...yeah...piracy is a no-no.... 8)
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

I removed that, and I belive piracy is ok if justified. And it's VERY legal to download the comics if you own them, anyway, yeah, I'll remove it, but don't try and tell me you've never downloaded a song from the internet. I'm really sorry, I ussualy just lurk the forums, but yeah, this is one of my fave forms,, I'll look over the rules some more before I post anything like that again, :P
Last edited by VenusDoom on 18 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Aerith Gainsborough

^Hey, I'm not saying I haven't, it's just you cannot promote piracy here in the forum. It's against the rules.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

Ok, I removed what I said, I really shouldn't have said that anyway considering this is a franchise I love, I'm sorry,