New E3 2011 Trailer

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Re: New E3 2011 Trailer

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ In terms of too powerful, I disliked how many guns Travis got. Six guns for a five hour game? What? I thought the origins part of the story was done badly and the Travis' parents part was done well. Level design was good.

Sorry, a little off topic.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

mikefile wrote:An off-topic thing...
KoRn_Child wrote: My main gripes with the game were that Travis was too powerful, and the story was more like fan fiction rather than a proper installment of the series.
I think I understand what you're saying.. about the fan fiction thing. However, I believe it was supposed to be that way 'cause it fits the plot and style.. they made look origins as a sort of mith (with all that spells, lights, floatings, special powers, etc..)- since.. it is a kind of one- "ORIGINS" .. (from the style point of view).

I just meant that it didn't seem particularly inspired or well thought-out. It was too predictable. Homecoming had the same problem IMO, but it also had a few little wrinkles that gave it a bit of it's own flavor. Shattered Memories was the only non-Team Silent developed SH that I felt lived up to the originals in terms of plot. Origins and Homecoming just played it too safe.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Oh that.. Well, I misunderstood you in the first place..
KoRn_Child wrote: Shattered Memories was the only non-Team Silent developed SH that I felt lived up to the originals in terms of plot.
And that's also the reason why people bitch about it all time.
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

Yeah, they probably scrapped the original game, but I'd love to see the first version though, it looked awesome in the trailer and in very early screenshots. I was dissapointed with Origins. Not that it wasn't a great game, because it was!! But the trailer just promised so much more!
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

This may be slightly off topic, but it also kinda fits in the topic, because it has to do with the trailer.

I recently typed Tom Waltz an email, asking him some questions regarding the new Silent Hill downpour.

Here is what he had to say and the reply he gave me:

Here's some answers for you:

1. I don't believe the void thing will be in every transition, but I'm not really involved in the actual technical development of the game (I am a co-writer on the story). I can say that I played a demo at the Konami offices and the moment with the void that I experienced was both creepy and satisfying.

2. Again, I'm not involved with any in-game technical/gameplay development, so can't help you on this one. Sorry.

3. Ditto. Though, again, I will say that the demo I played involved Screamer combat and it was intense and fun. And you can outrun them if you choose not to fight. T

4. I have nothing at all to do with hiring the music talent, so can't speak to how Korn came into the picture. But, I'd hate for you and other fans to count them out without first hearing what they come up with for the game. They may surprise everyone with the song they compose. They are certainly motivated to be a part of this, and I've always found that creators who have their heart in their job tend to do their very best work.

5. My guess is the fog was kept to a minimum for the demo so people could see the environment clearly. The developers may have the fog setting as a choice in the actual game -- again, I'm not privy to that information, so it's only assumption on my part.

I will say this -- you really shouldn't get too worried about what you've seen in an 8-minute demo at this point. This game is still being developed and there are still tweaks to be made throughout. Devin and Tomm and Vatra are working their tails off to put together a fantastic, genuine Silent Hill experience for old and new Silent Hill fans alike. I've been very happy with everything I've seen so far and I personally can't wait to play it!

Take care and thanks for your continued support and interest in all things Silent Hill!

Tom Waltz

http://www.idwpublishing.com

I figured that I would share this, due to all the worried fans I"ve seen on this forum. Judging the game before it comes out, so I figured this might breath a slight bit of fresh air into the room. Considering that there have been so many concerns brought up in here in the last few weeks.

I sent an email to Mr. Waltz, on behalf of the fans, and I voiced my concerns. And those concerns were answered in that message, of course i"d like to know how to get ahold of Devin and Tomm, to ask them their opinions and express my concerns to them. But alas they do not belong to these particular forums, so therefore I could not private message them.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

^ Thank you for sharing it with us, David01.

Moreover, would you mind putting down your questions? Neverless the answers giving a clear perspective of the questions you assembled, I think it would be more accurate for us to observe the reaction of the query's specifity.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

My first question and concern is, the 8 minute demo that Devin and Tom Hulett showed us. I noticed the void thing chasing Murphy in the otherworld. Now my question is, um how do I put this. This void thing isn't going to be in every single otherworld transition is it? Because no offense that kinda got old in shattered memories, even though it's a great idea. I just hope that it isn't overused in this game.

My next concern is, and it's been voiced by a few other members. Is the things telling you what to do next, like "change your clothes and things of that nature." Will there be an option to shut this stuff off in the final draft of the game?

Next question, is the combat going to be less annoying than the stuff I just saw in the demo? I mean those screamers were so hard to fight off, or at least they looked to be hard to fight off. Are they going to be toned down a bit, so they're not so impossible to fight?

I realize that a challenge is a good thing, and the enemies shouldn't just be standing there doing nothing. But do they have to be so aggressive? I have seen many concerns and complaints about this very thing through out the forums, just take a look.

Also the inclusion of Korn for the intro, why Korn? And how does Korn have anything to do with Silent Hill period?

Another thing I"ve seen complaints about, and I'm a bit concerned about. Is the fact that the fog isn't very close to you, it's so far away looking? Is this just because the game is in pre-Alpha, or is there a reason for this? I mean in the old games the fog was right on you, hovering over head. Why isn't it like this in this new installment? There need to be some tweaks here, seriously, because from what I'm reading there are many that are not impressed with the game as of now.

regards

your fellow fan

David01.

( I tried to copy and paste, but my computer wasn't allowing me to do so. So I copied what it would let me copy, and the rest I have retyped by hand. But I assure you this is the real deal.)

Tom Waltz wrote:

Hi, David01.

1. I don't believe the void thing will be in every transition, but I'm not really involved in the actual technical development of the game (I am a co-writer on the story). I can say that I played a demo at the Konami offices and the moment with the void that I experienced was both creepy and satisfying.

2. Again, I'm not involved with any in-game technical/gameplay development, so can't help you on this one. Sorry.

3. Ditto. Though, again, I will say that the demo I played involved Screamer combat and it was intense and fun. And you can outrun them if you choose not to fight. T

4. I have nothing at all to do with hiring the music talent, so can't speak to how Korn came into the picture. But, I'd hate for you and other fans to count them out without first hearing what they come up with for the game. They may surprise everyone with the song they compose. They are certainly motivated to be a part of this, and I've always found that creators who have their heart in their job tend to do their very best work.

5. My guess is the fog was kept to a minimum for the demo so people could see the environment clearly. The developers may have the fog setting as a choice in the actual game -- again, I'm not privy to that information, so it's only assumption on my part.

I will say this -- you really shouldn't get too worried about what you've seen in an 8-minute demo at this point. This game is still being developed and there are still tweaks to be made throughout. Devin and Tomm and Vatra are working their tails off to put together a fantastic, genuine Silent Hill experience for old and new Silent Hill fans alike. I've been very happy with everything I've seen so far and I personally can't wait to play it!

Take care and thanks for your continued support and interest in all things Silent Hill!

Tom Waltz

http://www.idwpublishing.com

I thought this was worth sharing, being that Tom was nice enough to take the time to reply to my message.

Also my apologies for double posting, I will try and remove my original post and make this one the main post. Again my apologies, this was an error on my part, at the time of my post my daughter was screaming so I got sidetracked. Again I do apologize for the double post.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

http://n4g.com/news/790921/e3-2011-sile ... oors-video

A behind -closed-doors footage of the game....
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

This explains his new clothes actually :)
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

Hooray for fire extinguishers. The screamers are going to really annoy me I think, the way they spam that fucking scream attack (yeah, I know, they are called screamers, but still) is going to be a real pain, especially when there are more than one of them, since it seems that Murphy can neither fight nor run when they yell at him.

Everything else is looking really good so far.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Yeah I don't care for the fact that it seems, that you can't run when the screamers are screaming. I think they need to tweak this feature, because this could kill their game, or at least hurt it very badly. So Tom and Tomm and Bryan or whoever else is working on this game, please tweak the feature where the screamers scream and you can't run from them.

Tom Waltz told me in his message to me, that you could run from your enemies and did not have to fight them. But from what Im' seeing, when they do that scream it makes it to where you can't run or anything. They should tweak, or take this feature out, everything else does look good though. I like the void chase sequence, even though I'm hoping that it isn't over used. Also I'm hoping that they explain how you can knock stuff over and stop a formless void that is chasing you. It just doesn't make alot of sense to me, as I'm sure it doesn't make alot of sense to others.

I'll probably still get the game, but I don't know, I hope they tweak a couple things before I spend money on this. The graphics look detailed and rich, the voice acting seems good. I liked Howard's voice actor, and the character models look good, if maybe a bit waxy looking. I hope they polish this out a bit, and do more than just tweaking cameras and things. They need to tweak everything if this game is going to make it.

I liked the fire alarm going off in the kitchen fire portion, and it would be great if this was used each time the other world happened. Sort of a throw back to the sirens in the original, only this would have to do with sprinkler systems and so forth.

I dunno I have mixed feelings about Downpour, I'm hoping that Tom or someone is reading this and does a little talking to the Devs. I realize that Tom isn't in the actual game making portion, but I'm sure he can at least lend advice to the Devs. on this, and Konami needs to think about this stuff too. Or else they're going to have another game bombing like Homecoming and shattered memories did.

Then I keep hearing in the interviews with the Devs, that alot of people liked the chase sequences, who liked these chase sequences? I'm confused.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

From this one.

· The lost dog flyer notes Carl (the dog) was lost on Tuesday, July 12th. This occurs latest in the year 2011. Called it.

· The same flyer has a phone number. The area code is 672. It is used exclusively in Temiskaming Shores of Ontario, Canada.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

The chase sequences in Shattered Memories were decent enough. The problems I had with them were that there were too many rawshocks and they didn't look threatening, and that the visual cues meant to clue you in on which way to go were too subtle. Otherwise they were fine.

As far as sales... even if Downpour is awesome, and reviews really well, I'm not expecting it to be a huge, multi-million seller. Silent Hill was never a mega-hit like Resident Evil. It should be able to make Konami a nice profit, but don't expect it to top the charts. Unless they fail to market it properly, like Shattered Memories. Then it will bomb.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

David01 wrote:1. I don't believe the void thing will be in every transition, but I'm not really involved in the actual technical development of the game (I am a co-writer on the story). I can say that I played a demo at the Konami offices and the moment with the void that I experienced was both creepy and satisfying.
If the void actually is in every transition, that seems incredibly stupid. That is the SM school of design, take something that seems scary and just keep repeating it ad nauseum assuming that it will continue to be scary. I like the idea of a void chasing you, but it's really an element that should be used sparingly.

And do the screamers' screams really stop you from moving? That's another one of those elements that might be scary if it happened occaisonally, but get annoying fast if it happens a lot. Right now we can only speculate how these things will turn out, and maybe the game designers will get it right... but so far it sounds like there's a lot of things that they could potentially get *very* wrong.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

David01 wrote:Yeah I don't care for the fact that it seems, that you can't run when the screamers are screaming. I think they need to tweak this feature, because this could kill their game, or at least hurt it very badly. So Tom and Tomm and Bryan or whoever else is working on this game, please tweak the feature where the screamers scream and you can't run from them.

Tom Waltz told me in his message to me, that you could run from your enemies and did not have to fight them. But from what Im' seeing, when they do that scream it makes it to where you can't run or anything. They should tweak, or take this feature out, everything else does look good though. I like the void chase sequence, even though I'm hoping that it isn't over used. Also I'm hoping that they explain how you can knock stuff over and stop a formless void that is chasing you. It just doesn't make alot of sense to me, as I'm sure it doesn't make alot of sense to others.

I'll probably still get the game, but I don't know, I hope they tweak a couple things before I spend money on this. The graphics look detailed and rich, the voice acting seems good. I liked Howard's voice actor, and the character models look good, if maybe a bit waxy looking. I hope they polish this out a bit, and do more than just tweaking cameras and things. They need to tweak everything if this game is going to make it.

I liked the fire alarm going off in the kitchen fire portion, and it would be great if this was used each time the other world happened. Sort of a throw back to the sirens in the original, only this would have to do with sprinkler systems and so forth.

I dunno I have mixed feelings about Downpour, I'm hoping that Tom or someone is reading this and does a little talking to the Devs. I realize that Tom isn't in the actual game making portion, but I'm sure he can at least lend advice to the Devs. on this, and Konami needs to think about this stuff too. Or else they're going to have another game bombing like Homecoming and shattered memories did.

Then I keep hearing in the interviews with the Devs, that alot of people liked the chase sequences, who liked these chase sequences? I'm confused.
I thoroughly enjoyed the chase sequences.

Also, keep in mind: the screamers are going to be toned down for the final release. The demo had more monsters so the combat could be demonstrated, so I doubt they'll be as powerful as they are in it.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Yuki wrote:
David01 wrote:Yeah I don't care for the fact that it seems, that you can't run when the screamers are screaming. I think they need to tweak this feature, because this could kill their game, or at least hurt it very badly. So Tom and Tomm and Bryan or whoever else is working on this game, please tweak the feature where the screamers scream and you can't run from them.

I thoroughly enjoyed the chase sequences.

Also, keep in mind: the screamers are going to be toned down for the final release. The demo had more monsters so the combat could be demonstrated, so I doubt they'll be as powerful as they are in it.
I certainly hope that they're toned down just a bit. But that scream seems to make it as though you can't move, I hope that I am wrong though.

As for the rain they mentioned, its a nice touch. However I hope that it isn't overused like the chase sequences could be. I hope they are not overused either, I think maybe once or twice in the game would be find, then do something else after that. Because it's just crazy to have that same thing happen in every sequence, for me that would kind of ruin it.

I'm liking the environments and backgrounds, but one concern I brought up before. Was the fact that the fog is so distant looking, and in the original games it was right in your face. Tom assured me in his message, that this may change when the final game comes out. Saying that the Devs may change the fog and have it settle in closer when the game finally comes out.

I like the fact that you come across that old 52 vehicle sitting there. That was a nice touch too in my opinion, however it would've been more startling if the mailman popped up in the backseat of the car, or honked the horn at you or something. lol Sorry I got sidetracked, but that would actually be more funny than scary really, at least to me it would be. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I like what I"ve seen. But there are things I do not like at the same time. I do not like those barbie looking things seen in the trailer, because to me, they seem to lack texture work. If they looked a bit more like a doll, and didn't look like a PS1 era texture mapping, then I might like them a bit more. I hope they polish them a bit more by the time of release, because so far those barbie creatures are about the only thing bothering me. Hammerman kinda bugs me a bit, but even he has better texture mapping. At least from what I can see anyway.

I noticed somewhere in the trailer too, it looks like time slows down or stop suddenly. That would be awesome I think, if they have time slow down or stop, and a flashback occurs out of nowhere.

Also in one of the flashes and I think in a couple screen shots i"ve seen, there is a kid sitting on the floor playing with a toy car or truck. I wonder who that could be?
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

David01 wrote:As for the rain they mentioned, its a nice touch. However I hope that it isn't overused like the chase sequences could be. I hope they are not overused either, I think maybe once or twice in the game would be find, then do something else after that. Because it's just crazy to have that same thing happen in every sequence, for me that would kind of ruin it.
It's been mentioned that rain might be the new static. So everytime a monster is near, it rains. That's an interesting idea but I wonder if that would really work; maybe they should just bring back the static. The static is still a pretty brilliant technique and I would love to see it make a comeback.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Ocarina of Time had those ghoul-like things that would stop Link in his tracks by screaming. Maybe if Downpour's screamers moved really slowy like those things it would work. But having them stun you and immediately dealing out damage, only to stun you again, seems like a recipe for frustration.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^did you guys not see how much damage Murphy could take from the screamers? i'm thinking they won't be a problem at all. sure, you may get stopped a couple of times, and have one of them jump on you, but there were plenty of instances in those vids where the player got away, but instead chose to grab a weapon, or decided to try and kill the screamers by punching them.

please Vatra, don't tone them down at all.. im sure there will be difficulty levels so those who want a cakewalk can just choose the easiest mode.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

That also could have been for the beta version of DOWNPOUR, or solely for that demo.

At least I've got my first date for the timeline from this game already!
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.